8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

I'm at 104,800 miles now. Still getting about 36-38mpg (highway) @ 62mph. Anyway, today I decided to do my 100K mile service maintenance. I don't have the manual handy right now, but I took care of the major items.

1) Change oil & Filter
2) Change ATF Fluid (drain & fill)
3) Change Air filter & Cabin filter
4) Change spark plugs
5) Rotate Tires
6) Change Radiator Fluid (drain & fill) * (did not do today)

Anyway, I searched for spark plug removal and surprisingly found very little. Changing the plugs is very easy. I went with OEM Honda (NGK) Iridium plugs. (online $14, dealer $20). These plugs are good for 100K. What you will need:

1) 5/8 standard spark plug socket ( 3/8 ratchet)
2) extension
3) Anti-seize
4) 10mm socket
5) Can of PB Blaster

Open your hood and you will clearly see the 4 coils. To remove them requires you to unscrew the 10mm screw.

Then unclip the connectors

Then take the coil and gently lift it OUT of the engine.

Arrange the coils on top of the windshield and set the screw right next to it so you don't loose them.

When you remove all four coils, just to be safe, spray a little "blaster" down the hole so you can minimize your chances of aggravation (#2 cylinder plug was a pain to take out). Anyway, let sit for 10 minutes, then proceed to remove the plug.

I took this picture just to illustrate what this plug looks like at 104K miles. Surprisingly, it looked (the tip) ok.

Tip:

Get a plug and apply some anti-seize on it

Spread it around the plug like so:

Place the plug in your 5/8 socket, remove the ratchet so you can finger tighten the plug. After you finger tighten it, attach your ratchet and tighten until firm (not super tight). Factory calls for 17 or 18 lb/ft for those who use a torque wrench. Repeat 4x. Reinstall the coil.

Your done!! After doing this, I noticed engine response a lot more "crisper". This is very easy. If after seeing this and you STILL can't do it, pack it up and go home. Took 15 min. Stealership wanted something like $150 to do this.

PB Blaster: Not really needed, but its piece of mind to ensure the plug comes out nice.
Anti-Seize: Again, not everyone uses it, but I like to know it has it for when I do this again in 100K miles. :thumbsup:
Torque-wrench: Recommended to use, but so many do not. I asked a Honda tech what wrench he used and what settings, he looks at me and laughed. He said they tighten them until they are tight. My mechanic friend told me just to tighten them until firm and not to overtighten. I didn't have one handy at the time.

Anyway, hope this helps whoever wants to change their own plugs. (easier than an oil change)

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
A trick to index the spark plug.

Place the plug into the socket and make note of alignment of the gap in the socket. Once installed if the gap doesn't point towards the intake simply remove and try a different plug.

I ordered 6 to ensure a proper index. Then I have two spares. Index washers can be used.

"believe that this will maximize the exposure of the fuel-air mixture to the spark, also ensuring that every combustion chamber is an even in layout and therefore result in better ignition"

Indexed plugs also aid with decreasing detonations.

Honda's insight first generation was the first production car to be sold with factory indexed spark plugs. Four different part numbers could be selected to ensure indexing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
those factory plugs don't need to be gapped before installing as I have heard can anyone verify this?
You should always double check with the proper tools and not assume. Adding a dab of anti seize on the threads is also a good idea on engines with aluminum heads.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
230 Posts
fair enough. I wasn't certain. whats the correct setting for a properly gapped plug?
I looked in my owners manual when I bought her (a week ago), and if I remember correctly it said .039"-0.44". If this information is incorrect, I'll edit it tomorrow. Now if you by iridium or platinum type plugs that out of that spec I would be very careful in trying to change the gap, you don't want to touch the rare elements on the tip. You'd be better off exchanging them at the parts store for ones that are within that range. That being said, I've replaced many (customers) plugs without modifying gaps.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I stand corrected, the owners manual (2009) does not state a spark plug gap. It only states - (r18) NGK IZFR6K11S or Denso SKJ20DR-M11S. I would still use a plug gapper tool or feeler gauge all plugs are nearly identical in gap. indexing the plugs couldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Op.

I need to do some of these things where did you find ngk iridiums for 14 bucks cheapest I've found them was 50 dollers for 4 dealer wanted 100+ .also how much Manual trans fluid did you use and did you notice a huge difference?also I would check all belts for worn or frayed teeth .

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry for late reply..........

Op.

I need to do some of these things where did you find ngk iridiums for 14 bucks cheapest I've found them was 50 dollers for 4 dealer wanted 100+ .also how much Manual trans fluid did you use and did you notice a huge difference?also I would check all belts for worn or frayed teeth .
got mine on partznet.com. I changed the ATF, I don't have a stick. I did a drain and fill. Only about 2.5 quarts come out. I do notice a "smoother" shift, but it's probably my idea..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
OP, that is A LOT of anti-seize. I used maybe 1/5 of the amount you used, if that.

Some people have mentioned having misfire problems when you use anti-seize, let alone excessive anti-seize.

Have you had any issues with misfires ever since your plug replacement? Thx.

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, that is A LOT of anti-seize. I used maybe 1/5 of the amount you used, if that.

Some people have mentioned having misfire problems when you use anti-seize, let alone excessive anti-seize.

Have you had any issues with misfires ever since your plug replacement? Thx.
Soda: No misfire at all. Engine runs very smoothly. The amount of anti-seize is on the first picture seems alot, but alot of excess was taken off. See second pic. I've always put this much on my plugs over the years (with many makes), NEVER had a problem with misfire.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts