8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
i think every one just has to feel out there own setup, with my 02-04 type s wheels and forged aluminum lugs, i lost like 4-5 pounds per wheel, so my car noticeably accelerates quicker and doesn't lose power at red line, 1-3 my car keeps wanting to pull even as i get to red line.

· Registered
380 Posts
its all about tuning! tuning makes a big difference in adding more hp! I'm not going to say how much, but you will get more! there are endless of options you can do when tuning to find hidden power from a stock car! having more aftermarket parts will just make much easier to find. so with the right tune when rising the redline at least 7300 will give some what extra hp, but adding the right after market parts will even give you more!

· Registered
2,869 Posts
just remember, honda lowers red line about 300-400 rpm less than actual damage will start to occur. most companies do that. because most driver barely touch red line.

i think upping the redline will not get you any where but too the junk yard in short order.
these engines are tough, but not tough enough to handle 7500 rpm like you would want

i think your gonna go from a 300,000 mile car to a 50,000 mile car very quick

· Registered
10,958 Posts
there seems to be ALOT of variables not accounted for in the calculator

Crank HP vs wheel hp, crank torque vs wheel torque. Weight, size of tire, type of tire.
i dont think its giving you a really good idea about what is a good shift area.

Doesn't matter.

It shows the difference in power available for shift points. Be it whp or flywheel power.

Hp is a measurement of rpm and the corrosponding torque. It's all figurEd in.

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
just remember, honda lowers red line about 300-400 rpm less than actual damage will start to occur. most companies do that. because most driver barely touch red line.

i think upping the redline will not get you any where but too the junk yard in short order.
these engines are tough, but not tough enough to handle 7500 rpm like you would want

i think your gonna go from a 300,000 mile car to a 50,000 mile car very quick
ya i agree with you and with stock internals 7500 would be pushing it...by the time i probably get flashpro my car will have 50,000 miles on it haha

· Registered
2,869 Posts
im already on 50,000 and im starting to see the life of the car slowly get well, slower lol
highway pulls seem harder for the engine (this was before the intake and exhaust was added). ive started running cleaners, that has helped a little.
Just gotta keep up on your car, 50 grand aint alot for a motor. depends on how u drive.
i used to always drive like 55, but lately ive been pushing it more and more (i blame the bolt-ons lol)

Who's gonna convince someone to make some rods, pistons, valve springs, and such for our cars???
i really would like to reach full potential of this motor lol

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
^ i bet thats just metal and you are just thinking about how slow the car actually is and worrying more about the engine and stuff...

at something like 80k i might start to be worried...but i am always worried now i do push the car until it is warmed up and i am nice to tranny when shifting (trying not to blow the syncros) and i drive nicely the last 5-10 minutes for some cooldown...regularly changing oil with mobil 1 every 5k changed the tranny fluid at 40k brake fluid at 40k new brakes at 40k besides that i keep it clean and make sure my intake and exhaust are in good condition and i fill up with shell gas soooo...really i think im taking good care of my car even if im pushing it somewhat hard every other day or two days

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a tuned ninth gen with the r18z1 (not a1) engine. I shift on the racetrack at 7500 rpm all day for the last two years with little to no problem. The transmission actually let go last February with a hole in its casing the size of my thumb. I am running a 50 shot of nitrous in the car too and even that hasn't killed my single cam motor. These aren't as weak as people think they are. The engine still compression tests fine so honestly.. my opinion: if you have a reason to increase the rev limiter and have supporting mod; go for it. If it's stock with flash pro you won't gain anything from it and that's a hard fact. I generally shift at 7250 but I can smash limiter at 7500 all day with no issues.

· Registered
4 Posts
yea i mean 6800-7500 isnt much of a stretch, but i would like to see what gains you could get from that increase.

but hell id try it, i mean its not often you would rev your engine that high, i'll be getting flash pro over the coming months so ill see what gains i can come up with,
Max power is produced at 6,000 RPM Max torque is around 4,200 RPM anything over that is noise

41 - 51 of 51 Posts