8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well since flashpro is going to be out for our cars i sort of wanted to know the physical capabilities of our engines...

ie what would be a safe rpm to rev to past the stock rev limiter at 6900-7000rpm?

i know the engine wont be making power up there unless it is tuned and maybe some different parts

isnt there also some point in engines where the piston will hit the valve?

i dont know much about tuning but i cant wait for flashpro to be released...

FP FTMFW

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so does that mean 7500 rpm would be the limit or too high?

most street cars' engines are undersquare i thought (stroke is longer smaller bore) so they are more torquey as opposed to true race cars (F1) that rev to 17k rpm

anyways i just think that having a higher rev limit would allow me to stay closer to rpms where there is peak power...shifting into the super long 3rd gear the r18 has is annoying when you dont have much power

· Registered
10,958 Posts
High rpms = fast movement of piston and valves

speed x weight = energy

high rpms beat up valvetrain which is why most cars don't rev high. I'd guess an extra 200-300 rpms would be near the top of the safety margin. Perhaps an extra 400 on very very limited use.

· Registered
7,091 Posts
I doubt Engines are built like that... If your car has a 6,800rpm redline, that means the engine is designed to handle 7,000+ rpm's and the rev limit is lowered for increased durability.

Take the k20Z3 from the Si. It can handle 9,000rpm -/+ stock, without any damage, but at those speeds the engine wouldn't last very long, hence the rev limit is lowered to 8,000 so you can rev up there every day and not worry about piston rods flying through the hood.

A saw a youtube video of an R18 tuned with AEM revving to 7,500 rpm without problem. Looked and sounded very natural for the engine. It can handle it, no problem... how long is the question.

· Registered
1,749 Posts
I'd say stay safe with the R18. Honda is already squeezing as much as they can out of the Tiny R18 that could. But there has been 2 incidents (mis-shift + lack of sleep ftw) where I bounced off the limiter at around 6.8k.

Flash Pro will most likely try to keep you in a safe range, if your daring go big. 10,000 RPM!!

· Registered
380 Posts
I think our car can handle much more then 6800! You have to remember the R18 was tuned for gas saver, but at the same time, The R18 is a Honda engine! Stock motors is always under tuned, from the D-Series to the K-Series! Hondata always found hidden power! Don't be fooled by the gas saving car it is, tuning changes everything! And hondata can do it!

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think our car can handle much more then 6800! You have to remember the R18 was tuned for gas saver, but at the same time, The R18 is a Honda engine! Stock motors is always under tuned, from the D-Series to the K-Series! Hondata always found hidden power! Don't be fooled by the gas saving car it is, tuning changes everything! And hondata can do it!
i sort of have to disagree...and i think many other knowledgable r18 owners will agree

the r18 is tuned pretty well from the factory...1.8 liter engine making more than 140hp (underrated from honda) while it is SOHC...yes it is tuned for saving gas but thats really only while it is in the econo vtec mode...other than that it is a solid engine it has more torque than the k20 and from my knowledge it is the most powerful NA SOHC 1.8 engine on the market

yes it can definitely be tuned to have more power but we wont get more power by having a higher redline unless you port and polish the head get new cams get a new intake manifold and somehow make the built in "header" flow better

· Registered
380 Posts
Okay most Knowledgable R18 owners should know si make 139tq at 6100rpm and the r18 make 128tq at 4300rpm!
When I said Honda is under tuned, I ment that hondata always finds a way to get more hp with just tuning! If you plan on getting the flashpro, you most likely will have some type of after market part in your car which will give you more hp when rising the redline! Like I said the R18 is tuned for Gas saver, which mean it's not tuned to it's full Potential power! Hondata wouldn't waste there time making a flashpro for our r18 if our cars was made it it's full potential!

· Registered
3,950 Posts
reving high won't do anything for you if the cams aren't aggressive enough to make power up there.

just cuz you increase redline doesn't mean it will do anything for you. honda probably put pretty mild cams in there being as its an econobox so i doubt raising the rev limit to say 7500 would do much if anything at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts