8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so just to lead off, I have read not only the stickies but have done plenty of independent research on this topic up to this point- I feel confident that you guys here will be the best source of advice.

I have an '11 LX (5spd) with ~30k on it. After I get it paid off and my warranty expires (should happen at about the same time), I plan to boost the car. The TSI kit looks quite nice, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
I want to do a few things now that for the most part will set up a good foundation for when turbo time rolls around.

To the point- I have about ~$1000, give or take, to invest in some bolt-ons to satisfy my upgrade bug. I/H/E & flashpro look like a good start, although the Hondata may stretch my budget a bit at this time. As for what I've been scoping out, I like the Megan OE-RS 2.5" catback, the Weapon R header/downpipe combo, and the Weapon R Secret Weapon SRI.

I just want to be assured that if I'm going to spend a stack of bills on N/A upgrades (along with a tune, of course) that I will at least come away with some more enjoyment of the lil R18 for the next couple of years. (In other words, will I see a noticeable difference in power?)
Thanks in advance guys :wavey:

·
Registered
367 Posts
noticeable power? not really but I/h/e makes the r18 run smoother, to get any power that's noticeable you gotta go boost... get flashpro and an intake for the time being youll be happy it will make the car funner and smoother to drive but not really any faster.

·
Registered
367 Posts
and im not saying an exhaust isn't worth it ive got a cai, n1 catback exhaust and flashpro with a tune and it makes the car more lively but on your budget that's the way id go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
$1k is not enough to make much of a noticable difference.
You will need the I/H/E, thats closing in on $1k already. Then you will need Hondata and a "great tune" like mine to actually notice a difference.
My wife's car is same year/make/model as mine but completely stock and we can both notice a big difference in my car.
I have somewhere in the $2 -$3k range in my car counting the rims and tires.
You would be better off saving up for the Rotrex supercharging kit and start there. It is much less complicated than turboing your car.
good luck and have fun with whatever route you go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Not to sound snobby, but money isn't the primary issue; I just don't want to spend too much on parts that I will be pulling off anyway once I get to the point of applying FI to the car.
Cherritwizzlers your reply gives me hope that I'll be happy if I go this route with the car.

To you exhaust guys, I have another Q that has been bugging me- since the r18 "header" has the cat built into it, if I purchase a new header as well as a full catback, will I have a completely new exhaust system from the motor on back? This "downpipe" concept has me a bit confused.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is 4 sections to our exhaust.
starting at the motor= catalytic converter--> downpipe-->midpipe-->axleback/muffler.
if you buy a header and a catback exhaust you should be getting all four sections.
I tried the header and removed it, It was to loud for me so I switched back to the catalytic converter. I have a 2.25" downpipe, a 2.50" midpipe and a custom 2.50" axle back. Its still a little loud but only on the highway.

·
Registered
512 Posts
1. start off with a cai. don't bother with a sri. i started off with sri and ended up with a cai after a long search for a well priced used one.

2. get a weapon r aluminum intake manifold (v2). hear me out on this. i know this is not a common beginning mod for many r18 owners, but i want to give you my personal experience on this. if i could do it all over again, i would spend my money on the intake manifold rather than the exhaust and header. from personal experience, the cold air intake + intake manifold + flashpro combo yielded FAARR better gains than the header and exhaust ever did. and personally i love the sound and roar of it under the hood at high rpm more than the drone and rasp of the header and exhaust. when you hit full throttle it sounds amazing!!! the manifold also provides a great platform for future plans involving turbo or superchargers.

3. also while you are removing the manifold and throttle body, look into a throttle body spacer and throttle body gasket. they'll help reduce the heat and provide more volume for air between the manifold and throttle body. and according to some people it provided better response. i honestly dont know if it helped because i installed it at the same time as my intake manifold.

4. then buy flashpro and spend money on a custom tune, preferable from vitviper because he knows what to do on these cars and has tuned dozens of r18's, including mine. you will notice a substancial difference in performance over the granny eco tune that honda set on the r18's. the throttle response improved significantly as well.

5. now a lot of r18 owners on this forum will back me up on this. invest your money on a set of boomba motor mounts. they well boost your engine and throttle response even further. not to mention they help reduce wheel hop, help with launching, and help put the power from your engine to the ground.

6. i would hold off on the exhaust and header. here is why. having been through a megen header and skunk2 exhaust, i do not think they are worth the trouble and money. the stock exhaust on the r18 is not that restrictive due to the fact that our 1.8 liter, single cam engines are not that free/high flowing. if you like the audible gains then by all means an exhaust will satisfy your needs. the header on the other hand. horrible horrible horrible sound! when i had my exhaust, the header made it really loud and raspy. it sounded horrible. if you really want that deep exhaust sound for your car just stick with an exhaust, don't look into the header. also, i was tired of being pulled over because of the attention my loud exhaust and header gave out.

7. then depending on your area, if it snows or freezes, look into the throttle body coolant bypass mod. it wont make much of a gain or difference, but its a super cheap mod.

all these mods will make your car really fun to drive, not to mention they provide a great platform if you ever want to turbo or supercharge your car.

hope this helps you with your decision!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
a downpipe, 2.5" exhaust and an intake with a tune will yield at least 10-15 whp for sure.
Seems like the weapon r intake manifold works really well from what some have said. I'd honestly LOVE to see a before and after dyno but it hasn't been done that i can find.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would love to supercharge my r18, but getting FP first is the biggest thing you should look into. Vittuned has a great deal on FP + N/A tune. Also, I have a Fujita Bronze Cold Air Intake with hydroshield. Everything included basically, if you are interested in a CAI PM me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since most of my questions and some of the answers are already in this thread, I'm gonna post here instead of making a new one.
I test cell towers, and bought an 09 EX coupe (automatic) that just turned 4. I have 196k on it, and I just recently started swapping out things for aftermarket, instead of just replacing oem and/or buying a new car. I plan to keep this car forever, hence the handle.

My experience is going to be a bit different from most. I am not looking to beat people in a drag race. I am looking to make the car a little more fun to drive when I want to drive hard, but get good MPG while driving soft. The only reason I didn't go Si, was A) I was not going to drive 50k a year in a manual. B) the MPG was worse.
I get paid by the mile, so MPG = $$ for me, I don't care that much about the environment.

What I have done so far is:
-From Day 1 run Royal Purple Synthetic
-NGK iridiumIV spark plugs
-K&N SRI (Stock Airbox somehow got a hole in it)
-Magnaflow Catback 2.25" Exhaust

The two bolt-ons have made it sound a lot better, and accelerate a lot smoother. I wish I had done them a lot sooner than 3.5 years in.

What I am considering but am not 100% sold on. (in some cases I have already been given a thumbs down, but I just want as much input as I can get) Note: I am no mechanic, I just drive.

MagnaFlow Header With High Flow Catalytic Converter
Weapon-R 501-112-113 Race Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (the only one I could find for R18)
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
Flashpro / Tune
CF Hood and Trunk along with some other weight shaving.

Thoughts?

I need to read more in the forums, but I have not 100% wrapped my brain around Flashpro / Tuning. I'm getting a real Southpark Underpants Gnomes vibe. Step 1 Flashpro Step 2 ??? Step 3 Profit.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Since most of my questions and some of the answers are already in this thread, I'm gonna post here instead of making a new one.
I test cell towers, and bought an 09 EX coupe (automatic) that just turned 4. I have 196k on it, and I just recently started swapping out things for aftermarket, instead of just replacing oem and/or buying a new car. I plan to keep this car forever, hence the handle.

My experience is going to be a bit different from most. I am not looking to beat people in a drag race. I am looking to make the car a little more fun to drive when I want to drive hard, but get good MPG while driving soft. The only reason I didn't go Si, was A) I was not going to drive 50k a year in a manual. B) the MPG was worse.
I get paid by the mile, so MPG = $$ for me, I don't care that much about the environment.

What I have done so far is:
-From Day 1 run Royal Purple Synthetic
-NGK iridiumIV spark plugs
-K&N SRI (Stock Airbox somehow got a hole in it)
-Magnaflow Catback 2.25" Exhaust

The two bolt-ons have made it sound a lot better, and accelerate a lot smoother. I wish I had done them a lot sooner than 3.5 years in.

What I am considering but am not 100% sold on. (in some cases I have already been given a thumbs down, but I just want as much input as I can get) Note: I am no mechanic, I just drive.

MagnaFlow Header With High Flow Catalytic Converter
Weapon-R 501-112-113 Race Sheet Metal Intake Manifold (the only one I could find for R18)
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
Flashpro / Tune
CF Hood and Trunk along with some other weight shaving.

Thoughts?

I need to read more in the forums, but I have not 100% wrapped my brain around Flashpro / Tuning. I'm getting a real Southpark Underpants Gnomes vibe. Step 1 Flashpro Step 2 ??? Step 3 Profit.
Scroll up and take a look at my post. I believe it may answer your questions about the header, intake manifold, throttle body spacer, and flashpro/tune. As far as the carbon fiber hood and trunk go, that minimal amout of weight you shave off for the amount of $$$ you spend on cf hood and trunk is not worth it. If you want to shave off a few pounds, remove your spare tire and jack (if you don't mind living dangerously), keep your trunk empty, and keep your gas tank around half full, or half empty whatever you want to think. Thats the best you can do as far as shaving a few pounds off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Suspension!! Get some good performance coil overs, maybe better brakes and brake rotors upgrade that tiny sway bar our R18s have (Front and back)! and a chassis brace even.
Put in a tower sway bar first they're inexpensive, I got one from Tanabe for $150 and it makes a big difference.

all the suspension stuff seems like it would be silly, but it makes the car A LOT more fun to drive, since increasing power isn't really going to go as far as we all want...

oh! and shed some weight where you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. start off with a cai. don't bother with a sri. i started off with sri and ended up with a cai after a long search for a well priced used one.

2. get a weapon r aluminum intake manifold (v2). hear me out on this. i know this is not a common beginning mod for many r18 owners, but i want to give you my personal experience on this. if i could do it all over again, i would spend my money on the intake manifold rather than the exhaust and header. from personal experience, the cold air intake + intake manifold + flashpro combo yielded FAARR better gains than the header and exhaust ever did. and personally i love the sound and roar of it under the hood at high rpm more than the drone and rasp of the header and exhaust. when you hit full throttle it sounds amazing!!! the manifold also provides a great platform for future plans involving turbo or superchargers.

3. also while you are removing the manifold and throttle body, look into a throttle body spacer and throttle body gasket. they'll help reduce the heat and provide more volume for air between the manifold and throttle body. and according to some people it provided better response. i honestly dont know if it helped because i installed it at the same time as my intake manifold.

4. then buy flashpro and spend money on a custom tune, preferable from vitviper because he knows what to do on these cars and has tuned dozens of r18's, including mine. you will notice a substancial difference in performance over the granny eco tune that honda set on the r18's. the throttle response improved significantly as well.

5. now a lot of r18 owners on this forum will back me up on this. invest your money on a set of boomba motor mounts. they well boost your engine and throttle response even further. not to mention they help reduce wheel hop, help with launching, and help put the power from your engine to the ground.

6. i would hold off on the exhaust and header. here is why. having been through a megen header and skunk2 exhaust, i do not think they are worth the trouble and money. the stock exhaust on the r18 is not that restrictive due to the fact that our 1.8 liter, single cam engines are not that free/high flowing. if you like the audible gains then by all means an exhaust will satisfy your needs. the header on the other hand. horrible horrible horrible sound! when i had my exhaust, the header made it really loud and raspy. it sounded horrible. if you really want that deep exhaust sound for your car just stick with an exhaust, don't look into the header. also, i was tired of being pulled over because of the attention my loud exhaust and header gave out.

7. then depending on your area, if it snows or freezes, look into the throttle body coolant bypass mod. it wont make much of a gain or difference, but its a super cheap mod.

all these mods will make your car really fun to drive, not to mention they provide a great platform if you ever want to turbo or supercharge your car.

hope this helps you with your decision!!! :thumb:

Hello sir,
just wanna ask you...

if i start mod for my r18 with:-

intake manifold(aftermarket)
cold air intake
throttle body spacer
throttle body gasket
ECU remap

this combination will gains better hp or not?

hope you can help me sir..
tq

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello sir,
just wanna ask you...

if i start mod for my r18 with:-

intake manifold(aftermarket)
cold air intake
throttle body spacer
throttle body gasket
ECU remap

this combination will gains better hp or not?

hope you can help me sir..
tq
r18 is a single cam so it will make most of its power down low. Everyone talks peak HP but you spend more time around 2-3krpm. I have an si now, but the r18 got great gas milage and made more torque down low than the si. Basically when you raise the peak HP, it will likely sacrifice some low or mid range. My si lost power under 2k with a 3" exhaust and header but nobody is gonna brag about that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
r18 has the cheap turbo kits too!
Yup, I have the R18 and it's really only quick on the "zip off the cars from the red light" area. Top end, it's not the best but also not the worst :) I hope throwing in the lightweight pulley kit on my car will make it a bit more zippier for daily street use. Might even throw in a good quality throttle body spacer if I feel like it.

mod for my r18
I wouldn't spend too much money on it to be honest but I would recommend the throttle body spacer and the lightweight pulleys like I said previously. Maybe another R series owner could tell you more about mods because my car is just a strict daily but sometimes slash on corners lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts