8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
I don't regret not taking the TC over the Civic, but i do regret not buying an Si over the R18, but am sure i will Regret not buying the R18 over the Si if i had that stupid 3rd gear grind.

So am sure after i turbo my R18 all the toughts about buying the Si will be gone.:thumb:

make the most with what you got! yee!
good attitude.
It's true though, you gotta just make do with what you have. Although, I do wish I had gotten the mazda3 hatch instead... just seems so much better for some reason.

However, I speak for all the Canadians with R18's.. While the Si is a great car, a $30,000+ price tag for a civic for 60 more hp is not a good match. If the Si was the same price as yours in the States - $22,000ish, then I'd be on it in a second. Here's some food for thought, my DX-G was $22,500, but I am completely happy with it, and have been since day 1.
If I had $30,000 in my pocket looking for a new car, I probably wouldn't look at the civic si. Not in Canada anyways.

I don't regret not taking the TC over the Civic, but i do regret not buying an Si over the R18, but am sure i will Regret not buying the R18 over the Si if i had that stupid 3rd gear grind.

So am sure after i turbo my R18 all the toughts about buying the Si will be gone.:thumb:
NOPE. Then you'll be wondering how fast an Si with a turbo will be. I had a mid 12 sec AWD eclipse a la Brian Earl Spilner. I'm over the speed. I just wanted the look/handling of the Si. Rather than buy another Ex and add suspension and spoiler, figured I'd just get right to the Si.

good attitude.
It's true though, you gotta just make do with what you have. Although, I do wish I had gotten the mazda3 hatch instead... just seems so much better for some reason.

However, I speak for all the Canadians with R18's.. While the Si is a great car, a $30,000+ price tag for a civic for 60 more hp is not a good match. If the Si was the same price as yours in the States - $22,000ish, then I'd be on it in a second. Here's some food for thought, my DX-G was $22,500, but I am completely happy with it, and have been since day 1.
If I had $30,000 in my pocket looking for a new car, I probably wouldn't look at the civic si. Not in Canada anyways.
+1... you guys in the states have no idea how good you have it when it comes to vehicle pricing. My 06 EX sedan came to almost 27-28 after taxes and what not. I would've got the Mazda3, but with the options I wanted it came out to waay too much. I considered trading in for an SI... but honestly, I think i'll wait and get something a couple years old when I'm closing to paying this off.

I have a hard-on for the Infiniti FX45 :laughing:

good attitude.

+1 ... my thoughts exactly.:thumb:

The more I personalize it with my own tastes, the more I dig my ride

I love my R18, good gas mileage, good in the corners, and if you have a M/T and know the power band is between 3-4.5K and know how to quick shift it can be fun
Agreed I love my GGM coupe (except for the strut bump stop noise) Been getting about 34 MPG on S$#%%y winter cali 87 so happy with mileage so far. Tranny seems to be pretty solid. Picked it over SI as I decided to keep my paid off 03 330i 6M for fun. Plus much less chance of getting "hated" on as the wheels and red emblems seem to bring out all the lo-lifes around here (2 buddies with Si coupe&sedan have already been keyed)

i really like the mazda3 wagon in that bright blue...but i don't like the FE it gets..

the main reason i bought the civic was because it gets great mpg...and so far after putting 20k miles on the car i have averaged 41mpg/tank over the life of the car...

i don't think i could get the same results with the 3

I don't mind my R18. It's a good all around car. The engine is a dog below 4000 but most Hondas are. Though the standard transmission is rubbish. Reverse gear grinds when puting it in and the rest of the gears fight with you to push the shifter in all the way.

I don't regret buying the R18... but I still wonder if I should have bought the sedan instead of the coupe. Rear doors are nice when you're carting people around, but the front seats in the coupe are SO much more comfortable.

My second tank of gas netted me about 32mpg in mostly city driving. Good stuff, but it's probably because I'm used to a car with at least some power under 3500rpm. I probably shift too early for the tiny R18.

Whats been up with the tranny issues I have heard. The only thing that I have noticed is trying to do the 1-2 power shift it grids other than that this tranny has been a dream, much much better than my 06 Sentra

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.