8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

R18 NST pulley kit DIY

Tags
nst pulley
137K views 340 replies 103 participants last post by  torresalcien 
#1 · (Edited)
" This is a complete DIY installation guide for the 3 piece NST kit from NST - NonStopTuning "

NST PART NUMBER: NST21915KIT
NST - The Leader In 8th Gen Civic Pulleys

1.- park your car and make sure you have room to play whit the car

2.- jack up the car and take the wheel off and for better access turn the whe steering wheel all the way to the right

3.- disconect the battery(just for safe...)

4.- remove the 2 lil clips that hold the crank pulley cover

5.- unplug the crank pulley cover from the inner fender, it doesnt remove completly, cus it goes from fender to fender like the Si one...

6.- now you have acces to the crank pulley....

7.-open the hood and take a look to the left side (if youre in front of the car) so you can see the alternator and the pulley, and if you look closer... just under the alt pulley is the water pump pulley

8.- to remove the belt, first you have to locate the tensioner, its the big silver part you can see in front of the pulley, or you can just remove the alt first... its the same... i removed the alternator

9.- remove all the connections of the alt, they are 2 harnesses over the alt with a black cover... and another cable that goes in the black bracket over the alt

10.- to remove the alt you need to unscrew 3 bolts one over the alt(easy access), other in front of the alt (easy access), and the last one is under the alt(you need large socket[a lil difficult access])

the last one is the one that holds the belt tensioner(easy access[when you remove this, you can remove the belt if you hadnt])

11.- now you can remove the alt pulley, a friend helped me, he held the pulley and I used the impact wrench to remove it. note: he only used his MECHANICS gloves to hold the pulley

12.- put the new pulley and tighten it with the impact wrench
**i forgot to take a pic of the NST installed... but it looks exactly as the one of the Si**
so i use this pic of the K20Z3 NST pulley kit DIY

13.- at this point the alt pulley is done... but dont reinstall the alt... cus you need that space in the engine to get a good access to the water pump

14.- you can see that the water pump pulley haves 3 bolts on it, it was a lil difficult to unscrew those because the pulley turns freely so you have to secure it, or hold it, i tried to hold it with my hands and my friend tried to uncrew the bolts from under the car, we could unscrew 2... but the third was so dificult, so we just discover a new method to lock the pulley... you need a screw driver (not too big... but not to small)

you have to put the screw driver in one of the holes of the stock wp pulley so the screw driver passes from one side to other, like the pic and now you can losen the bolts on the wp,

15.- then, when you have removed the 3 bolts, take care and hold the wp... cus it can fall so hold it whit your hand, then remove it and place the NST one, and reinstall the bolts

16.- now you can reinstall the alt, just screw all the bolts you unscrewd.... one over the alt, 2 hiden on one side of the alt and the tensioner one that is in front of the alt

17.- well, now the crank one... you need a 180+ lb/ft torque impact wrench for this.... cus its very tight, and a 2nd person who is gonna shift in 5th gear and press the brake(this is to lock the crank), and just unscrew the bolt and remove the stock pulley, i didnt use the pulley remover tool, but if you have it, use it... be carefull to not loose the KEY of the pulley cus you need it and its a small piece
**as my impact wrench wasnt powerfull to remove the bolt, i ask for my dealer to install it... and they dont let me take pictures(cus they doesnt charge me anything, and doesnt want that his manager know about it)** but uninstalled its like the one on the Si

and this is the pulley key... same in both engines

18.- install the NST pulley, make sure it fit and dont force it too much, when installed it has to spin freely, try that... if its not spinning its not installed propertly, remove and try again

19.- re install the belt, here i drew a diagram of the belt

20.- move the tensioner until the other person places the belt in position(the belt can be K070760 or K060760[if you got the K060760, just check that the belt is aligned propertly on all the pulleys, if you get the K070760 that’s even better... it fits 100% perfect])

21.- drive it

22.- love it

23.- share it

24.- NST FTW!!!

by: el_ben2, Marcelo(my sponsor and owner of RPMSperformance.com) and my dealer
whit the cooperation of Mike(NST owner): some grammar and spelling corrections
pics by: el_ben2 and MADDOGSI

See less See more
#52 ·
ok so I have these on my R18 and they are by far the best mod I’ve done, next to taking out the hug resonator on the magnaflow exhaust and putting a smaller one on haha sounds better, I recommend it

but when I start the car up if I let it sit for a couple house and I turn the wheel the car will make this really weird sound like umm well it sounds like birds chirping, but like birds that are on crack chirping. If I drive the car for a while then it will go away and no problem, but it only happens when I turn the wheel when I start up the car after its been sitting.

any idea anybody?

#55 ·
well see when i bough the first belt it was the right length but not rib, it was a 6 instead of 7 and the belt kept coming off track, so i went back to pep boyz and looked for another and all they had in a 7 rib was a 763 so i go it and put it on no problems for a while but then it started doin that noise

no i special ordered a 7 rib 760 belt, i have a feeling that its the belt tensor rattelin against the engine

#57 ·
Where did you special order this belt from? I did many google searches and it looks like it's a non-existent belt size. I've had an issue with my k060760 being noisy when it's cold outside. It might be the belt tensioner, but I'm not sure. I was hoping that a k070760 would help fix the problem so I don't have to make a custom idler pulley or something in order to use a k070763 or k070755, neither of which work because I've tried.

#61 ·
As far as I know, NST is currently the only brand that sells a pulley kit for the R18.

I've had these pulley's on for quite a while now and I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. I say go for it dude, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just make sure you search the forums on how I got these installed if you do plan on getting them. Their a ***** to install.

#66 ·
Hi Guys,

If we use a belt that's about 10mm shorter, would it be of any concern? Would the tension be too stiff/tight or the tensioner would be able to offset that portion?

Would it be advisable to change back to the recommended K070760 length?

In SG, K070760 = 7PK1930. But the mechanic used 7PK1920.

Thanks.

#80 ·
We have had many Automatic owners buy and install these kits on their auto R18s. In fact, our original R18 test car for R&D of these pulleys was a black auto!!!

These pulleys work very well for both auto and manual cars.

You can specificy the color of your kit during the ordering process. Be sure to keep an eye out for a field that asks you... COLOR: Red or Graphite Gray. Enter RED!!!

Thank you for your interest in our site and products, we certainly do appreciate it!!!

:thumb:

#81 ·
We have had many Automatic owners buy and install these kits on their auto R18s. In fact, our original R18 test car for R&D of these pulleys was a black auto!!! These pulleys work very well for both auto and manual cars.

You can specificy the color of your kit during the ordering process. Be sure to keep an eye out for a field that asks you...
COLOR: Red or Graphite Gray? ... Enter RED!!!

Thank you for your interest in our site and products, we certainly do appreciate it!!!

:thumb:

#85 ·
Just installed it on my automatic LX and it looks good. I got the K060760 Belt and it is one rib short and I'm kinda worried it might slip or something...that's my main concern right now. I didn't get a chance to drive it around yet but I could feel better throttle response for sure. You wont notice HP gains if you have intake and exhaust but I'm sure they're there. I only drove for 3 minutes with the pulleys so I'll post something up later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.