8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will cause any problem if i always or sometime shifting at high rpm's(5000+)?
maybe that is a stupid question for you guys, sorry about that.
but i just worry that .

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I have a turbo R18 and do that all the time, don't worrie.. the only thing you are affecting is your gas milage, other than that you are fine..

the car was design to be rev high in the rpms to make power anyways.. you are not hurting anything by shifting at high rpms.. i won't do it all the time if i was you, just to save some gas..

·
Registered
289 Posts
The higher I rev, the smoother my shifts become.

I remember a Honda tech telling me the higher you rev, the better the synchros or something work. I don't know how true that is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You should never shift before the needle is bouncing off the red bar........that is the car telling you to go faster. LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
By shifting at higher then 5000 you are actually causing significant damage to your vehicle. Contrary to popular belief, shifting above 4000 will wreck your shiet. You better recognize.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
rofl....dude i guess i beat the hell out of my R18 compare to some of u guys...

when i race on the drag way i hella bounce of the limiter...and when i shift i shift at 7k...rite before the limiter kick it...lol and my car feels fine

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
By shifting at higher then 5000 you are actually causing significant damage to your vehicle. Contrary to popular belief, shifting above 4000 will wreck your shiet. You better recognize.
Please explain....

IMO Honda set the rev limiter where it is for a reason. Anything under that is fair game.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm interested in this also. I can see your point if you are refering to the break-in period but the cars don't make any power until later in the RPMs. These cars are built to rev...........you probably shouldn't beat on the car but I don't think that you will hurt your car if you are staying off your redline.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
How so?

I'm not disagreeing nor am i agreeing. Just interested in your reasoning.
I'm interested in this also. I can see your point if you are refering to the break-in period but the cars don't make any power until later in the RPMs. These cars are built to rev...........you probably shouldn't beat on the car but I don't think that you will hurt your car if you are staying off your redline.
He was joking...
Me too. Im interested in the answer too. :popcorn:

He doesnt sound like he is joking thou.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lol. :wigglesmiley: I keed I keeeed. I jokes with you.

On this day photographed below, I was bouncing off the rev limiter all day long. In all seriousness, reving it that high will not cause damage. I suppose if you do it a lot over the long term your engine might not last as long. Like you may have to replace the rings at 150k instead of 200k, or something like that. I wouldn't worry about it. You should probably be more worried about how you shift. If your power shifting a lot you'll wear out the internal components of the tranny, such as the synchro's, much faster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts