8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did anyone ever make a DIY for an R18 clutch change ( I am using the search function right now and this was (so far)the only one ive seen)

The write up at the beginning is the only one i've ever found That doesn't involve removing the entire engine.
(Because I made it)

·
Registered
59 Posts
The write up at the beginning is the only one i've ever found That doesn't involve removing the entire engine.
(Because I made it)
For future people searching. This is the alldata recomended way. Support the engine.Pull the battery, air box, ECM, pull the axles, unbolt the ball joints, unbolt the rack and support it, drop the subframe, remove trans mounts and drop transmission out the bottom. (The condensed version) Engine, spindles, struts, and rack stay in the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The starter has to come out as well.

The Ball joints, However, are held onto the lower control arm by 3 bolts, you can remove them so that you don't have to pop out any ball joints.

I also supported the rack with some straps to keep it from separating from the steering shaft like in your picture.

I did not have access to a Lift however which would half the time this job takes.

But yes that's basically all there is to it, reassembly is the reverse order.

If you dont' mind, I'm gonna snag that picture and put it on the first post so everyone can see it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you guys unbolt the steering rack without lowering the sub frame first? I had to drop the subframe far enough to get a socket on there, but my problem now is the steering shaft separated from the upper half - gonna be a pain getting it nice and straight now

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 civic Clutch replacement video

There is a good video on it on youtube done by the DIYdude, since im new to the forum it won't let me post the video. Just search "how to replace honda civic clutch"

Best of luck you guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The video is exactly like my 2008 1.8l Manual Civic!

There is a good video on it on youtube done by the DIYdude, since im new to the forum it won't let me post the video. Just search "how to replace honda civic clutch"

Best of luck you guys!
Thank you!! That video is exactly like my 2008 Civic. Super helpful... Doing my sons Clutch right now and needed a little guidance.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts