8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm planning to get a header and downpipe for my r18 and wondering if any of you r18 guys have good experiences with it? I'm thinking about getting either weapon r and megans racing but want to see if anybody had any problems with them... I heard weapon r cracks easily but i maybe they've fixed their problems... iunNo... so let if you do please let me know how it:

sounds
power differences
installation problems

and Im guessing i need a cel eliminator, and I also have a skunk2 catback, do i need a downpipe? Some people said its included with the catback some dont, people confusing me ahaha... thanks 8thgen

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I actually just put the megan header on my 09 today. I also have the skunk2 catback and you won't need a downpipe if you have that. So just go for the Megan racing header. Beware though it is very raspy, i'm not so sure i like it yet.
There is a loss of torque at low end but anything above 4k seems like i've gained a little tiny bit. And those backfires you get are much louder with the megan header.

I'm not so sure on the fitment of the header to my exhaust though its so raspy it almost sounds like i've got a leak but i've checked it a couple times and it doesn't look like there is one.

As far as the install goes it's fairly straightforward. Taking out the cat is the hardest part. there's a good diy on here for it. I got the strup defouler as well and so far no cel. so i would say that it is a good buy, I got both header and defouler from corsport and i'm happy with them and would recommend getting it from there if you decide to get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I did find a Race Design Header on ebay for half the price of a Megan same design and fabrication etc, just installed myself this past weekend on my r18 and it was a ***** removing the original CAT. but well worth it my advice you have to get use to the sound and smell believe me it's loud as hell but that my rush sound and speed, I kept the original HFP exhaust which came with my car when I 1st got but I may get a down pipe along the way, no CEL signal nothing, idles fine, tap the pedal and bang!! whether Megan, W.R or RD go for it! that's why we are here performance, sound and speed!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
forgot to mentioned to remove some of the raspy sounds just slightly loosen the 12mm spring nuts that go from the header to the down pipe this worked on mine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys, i was all looking if i needed a downpipe thanks bassmastercivic so yes I'm def. going to get one in a bit. I'm just worried about leaks and cel but u guys just answered them. I'll post up pics when i get them... u guys got vids or not yet?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
forgot to mentioned to remove some of the raspy sounds just slightly loosen the 12mm spring nuts that go from the header to the down pipe this worked on mine.
so your solution for rasp is exhaust leak?

so far everyones sound clips and vids of the WR and Megan sound like lawn mowerish. Way too raspy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To cure the exhaust leak I had to place additional 4 washers on each the 12 mm stock screws that go from the down pipe to the header, by adding additional washers I've cause the spring to adjust airtight down pipe/header, no more exhaust leak, no rattles, no rasp or lawnmower effect, the car has just has a slight hiss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also planning install a wr headers, and I'm bothered with the idea that sooner or later it will crack due to vibrations. Would adding a flexible tube coupling solve this?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Thanks you guys, i was all looking if i needed a downpipe thanks bassmastercivic so yes I'm def. going to get one in a bit. I'm just worried about leaks and cel but u guys just answered them. I'll post up pics when i get them... u guys got vids or not yet?
yeah dude be prepared to jack up your car a couple of times to get that fitment right. I still haven't stopped the leak after 3 tries, it has gotten better though every time i attempt to fix it. Honestly though it's too loud and the exhaust fumes that leak out come up and get into the car and makes me get a headache so after this weekend i'm probably going to take it off until i can find a solution to make it fit better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys im new on here but not new to cars, And yes I know this is a no sale thread but since we or on subject i have a brand new Megan Racing header for the r18 , Asking 170 bux , if you want it shiped ill have to look that up , let me know. Im selling this for my Brother en-law. Hes going the turbo route and asked me to help selling this part. so get back to me if you want this. Never installed and still in box. Im located in Los Angeles, california.. Im sure this wont be my last time here since he is just now starting to learn abou cars so i will be to ask stuff and such.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hey guys im new on here but not new to cars, And yes I know this is a no sale thread but since we or on subject i have a brand new Megan Racing header for the r18 , Asking 170 bux , if you want it shiped ill have to look that up , let me know. Im selling this for my Brother en-law. Hes going the turbo route and asked me to help selling this part. so get back to me if you want this. Never installed and still in box. Im located in Los Angeles, california.. Im sure this wont be my last time here since he is just now starting to learn abou cars so i will be to ask stuff and such.

-Ben
If you are trying to sell something create a for sale thread and include a picture of it with a piece of paper with your screen name and the date.
People do NOT buy from him unless he creates one. Could be a huge rip-off.

Beware

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
So i put the Megan racing header on and you say that with washers the lawnmower sound went away? wouldnt happen to have a video?? cuz damn i cant stand how my car sounds haha ricer status :facepalm:
Yeah dude. I feel your pain. Do you have a bad leak too? Mine seriously sounds like a turbo spooling up no lie and if i shift above 6500rpms the damn thing even makes a fake blow off sound lol. I really need to fix it or take it off.

Ps. I have a video of it i should post up, literally sounds like i have a bad turbo kit installed.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
hopefully guys, there will be a reputable company make up a test pipe portion for you guys and a good catback that will kill off rasp.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
hopefully guys, there will be a reputable company make up a test pipe portion for you guys and a good catback that will kill off rasp.
i'm certain mine would be fine if i could get them to fit right. It just isnt happening though the megan test pipe/header is crap. my S2 downpipe doesnt mate with the end of the test pipe right and ive tried everything. Ive got it rigged with like 2 aluminum gaskets and that donut thing. used the alum. just for spacers. but it didnt really work right. i still get mad exhaust fumes in the car. Girls are not particularly a fan of that so im gonna switch the stock cat back in for now.

1,357 Posts
i'm certain mine would be fine if i could get them to fit right. It just isnt happening though the megan test pipe/header is crap. my S2 downpipe doesnt mate with the end of the test pipe right and ive tried everything. Ive got it rigged with like 2 aluminum gaskets and that donut thing. used the alum. just for spacers. but it didnt really work right. i still get mad exhaust fumes in the car. Girls are not particularly a fan of that so im gonna switch the stock cat back in for now.
Right? yeah so i ended up putting back the stock one last night. Cant stand the damn header anymore. Cops could here me coming from miles away and i already get enough attention with my greddy tic exhaust. :/ R18's can be such a nut...

post the video of ur car im curious of the sound u speak of

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Right? yeah so i ended up putting back the stock one last night. Cant stand the damn header anymore. Cops could here me coming from miles away and i already get enough attention with my greddy tic exhaust. :/ R18's can be such a nut...

post the video of ur car im curious of the sound u speak of
yeah i'll try and post it up tonight sometime if i remember 2nite. im at work right now and i dont have the time to post it. its from my iphone so the quality isnt the greatest in the world.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
damnn I got the skunk2 catback also so I guess it wont fit right for me either... i guess im going to hold on using that for a bit until a better one comes out =/

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
damnn I got the skunk2 catback also so I guess it wont fit right for me either... i guess im going to hold on using that for a bit until a better one comes out =/
i'm determined to find a way to make it fit right but i need to order more gaskets, and jacking up the car to make little adjustments that dont seem to help is getting old. But ill definitely let u know if i get it to fit right and what you need to do to make it fit.

the sound that comes out of the back is awesome, but the sound out of the front is just terrible. and it doesnt even leak until i go up over 4k rpms. so if you put it on rev the piss out of it while its on the jack stands, and have someone feel for a leak right where they come together. hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went with the Megan "header", weapon R CEL defouler, Megan down pipe, and DC Sport exhaust. had a Muffler shop install it and have no exhaust leak, sound, or smell. and its been on the car for 3,500 miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts