8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Well I am thinking about going with Amsoil with this next Drain n refill I have been reading up on it and I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Yeah I wouldnt buy Amsoil motor oil I think that is a waste because your just going to change it in 6k miles or 3months anyways lol but it being in the trans it will be in the for a long time and it would pay off in the long run I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did a drain and fill yesterday. It was a b*tch to open. I have a 2010 Civic LX with 39K on it. (Bought ATF DW1 for 7.50+tax)

I still can't get my 2001 Civic drain plug open. Its stuck on there pretty hard.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Yeah I wouldnt buy Amsoil motor oil I think that is a waste because your just going to change it in 6k miles or 3months anyways lol but it being in the trans it will be in the for a long time and it would pay off in the long run I think.

Why would you run an oil designed and rated for a 1 year interval and or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first and then go and drain it after 3 months and/or 6k miles?! :shady: :facepalm:

THAT is the waste right there. I personally use Amsoil's oils and if used for their recommended interval, it is not more expensive then using any other oil on the market.

Right now i have Amsoil OE 0w20 in my 07 R18. It's designed to last for the duration of the interval specified by the manufacturer of the car. In our case, following the MM (Maintenance Minder) and changing @ 6-8k depending on your driving style / conditions. Amsoil OE comes out to $3.99 a quart if you have a PC (Preferred Customer) account and get the oil from a local dealer and don't pay shipping.

Before that i used Amsoil XL, rated for 10,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I ran the oil for 9,100 miles and -900 miles past 0% oil life on the MM. Used Oil Analysis came back showing that the oil was in good health and would have made it to 10k miles with ease.

Prior to that i ran their "Signature Series" oil for 10,300 miles and the Lab suggested that i could keep extending my interval to 12,000 miles on the next fill. That run was -1,900 miles past 0% oil life.

All of my UOA (Used Oil Analysis) have been fantastic with wear numbers below average for the R18 engine, based on 6,800 mile intervals. I buy the oil for wholesale prices and it's a great value, in my opinion, if used correctly.

Who on earth changes their oil every 3k or 3 months nowadays? :pat:

Anyway, back to Transmission Fluid...

I thought we have to use the Honda brand fluid?? Is it ok to use mobil 1?
Mobil 1 synthetic auto tranny fluid meets / exceeds the requirements set by Honda for our transmission. You can safely use it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Why would you run an oil designed and rated for a 1 year interval and or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first and then go and drain it after 3 months and/or 6k miles?! :shady: :facepalm:

THAT is the waste right there. I personally use Amsoil's oils and if used for their recommended interval, it is not more expensive then using any other oil on the market.

Right now i have Amsoil OE 0w20 in my 07 R18. It's designed to last for the duration of the interval specified by the manufacturer of the car. In our case, following the MM (Maintenance Minder) and changing @ 6-8k depending on your driving style / conditions. Amsoil OE comes out to $3.99 a quart if you have a PC (Preferred Customer) account and get the oil from a local dealer and don't pay shipping.

Before that i used Amsoil XL, rated for 10,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I ran the oil for 9,100 miles and -900 miles past 0% oil life on the MM. Used Oil Analysis came back showing that the oil was in good health and would have made it to 10k miles with ease.

Prior to that i ran their "Signature Series" oil for 10,300 miles and the Lab suggested that i could keep extending my interval to 12,000 miles on the next fill. That run was -1,900 miles past 0% oil life.

All of my UOA (Used Oil Analysis) have been fantastic with wear numbers below average for the R18 engine, based on 6,800 mile intervals. I buy the oil for wholesale prices and it's a great value, in my opinion, if used correctly.

Who on earth changes their oil every 3k or 3 months nowadays? :pat:

Anyway, back to Transmission Fluid...

Mobil 1 synthetic auto tranny fluid meets / exceeds the requirements set by Honda for our transmission. You can safely use it.
I had Amsoil in the Honda one time and the Oil life got to 0% before 15k or 1year and I changed it. SO..... keep your smart Fawking comments to your self.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
:rotfl: bro, you're missing the whole point of Amsoil, which is it's extended drain ability.

The oil is designed to go 25k in certain conditions. If running the oil for that long, you simply reset the MM meter and continue using the oil for another cycle. You don't stop @ 0% oil life on the factory Honda maintenance system which is designed with Honda oil in mind as well as a set interval to remind people who forget to get the oil changed. (That's why it's called a dummy light)

I'm personally coming up to a point where i reset the MM @ 15% and run the oil for another cycle and then finally change the oil during the next 15%. This totals roughly 12,000 miles with my driving style / conditions.

Of course i don't just blindly run the oil that long. I get it analyzed by a Lab so i know that it's not hurting the engine.

There's a member on here with 600 or 700,000 miles miles on his R18 that does 25,000 mile oil change intervals. He used Amsoil as well and changed the oil during the THIRD maintenance cycle.

I'm just covering up your useless BS posts about how the oil is not worth it because that information is FALSE!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do we HAVE to use genuine Honda transmission fluid or any other genuine Honda fluids?
All I can share is my experience. I had a 1990 Accord. The owners manual said to use Honda power steering fluid. When mine had a leak and the local mechanic replaced it there was no Honda fluid available (small town - no dealership) so he just used what he had on hand. Within 1000 miles my power steering began to squeak. Replaced the fluid with Honda fluid and the squeak went away.

A couple of years later I had a complete coolant flush done at a family run shop with a great reputation in a large city. They didn't use Honda coolant, and within a year my whole radiator was full of crud. So I did a complete flush myself using, guess what, Honda coolant.

Finally, I had a '99 Acura TL that began shifting poorly -- transmission fluid was leaking past a seal and was low. I figured Mobil 1 synthetic would work better anyway (I'm a slow learner sometimes) so after replacing the leaking seal I drained and filled with Mobil 1. The poor shifting continued, so I drained that out and refilled it with Honda transmission fluid after which it shifted perfectly.

So now I use nothing but Honda fluids everywhere in a Honda/Acura. The only exception is motor oil, which will always be Mobil 1 for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just called my local dealership to see what a transmission servicing would cost. They quoted me $190.00. I asked what this included, they stated a 12 quart flush. I asked if it also included filter replacement, they stated that the transmission does not have a filter.

Any thoughts on the price, the volume of fluid, or why they stated there is no filter? I was speaking with someone on the phone who had to keep asking a service rep these questions, so maybe she just got confused...

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
All I can share is my experience. I had a 1990 Accord. The owners manual said to use Honda power steering fluid. When mine had a leak and the local mechanic replaced it there was no Honda fluid available (small town - no dealership) so he just used what he had on hand. Within 1000 miles my power steering began to squeak. Replaced the fluid with Honda fluid and the squeak went away.

A couple of years later I had a complete coolant flush done at a family run shop with a great reputation in a large city. They didn't use Honda coolant, and within a year my whole radiator was full of crud. So I did a complete flush myself using, guess what, Honda coolant.

Finally, I had a '99 Acura TL that began shifting poorly -- transmission fluid was leaking past a seal and was low. I figured Mobil 1 synthetic would work better anyway (I'm a slow learner sometimes) so after replacing the leaking seal I drained and filled with Mobil 1. The poor shifting continued, so I drained that out and refilled it with Honda transmission fluid after which it shifted perfectly.

So now I use nothing but Honda fluids everywhere in a Honda/Acura. The only exception is motor oil, which will always be Mobil 1 for me.
Strange, besides power steering fluid, which is always Honda brand, i've had better performance with the other fluids if something other then Honda juice is used.

My transmissions shifted smoother with either Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetics vs the Honda stuff.

Currently having excellent results with Amsoil's auto transmission fluid.

·
Registered
554 Posts
there's a chance ill post a new thread with photos when i get my fluids changed out, and ill post a link here too. good luck everyone!

201 - 220 of 245 Posts