8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Cant seem to find AUTO Tranny fluid change here so i decided to post one to help others. Hope this helps.

Tools:

* 3/8" Ratchet (May need a cheater bar)
* Jack & Jack Stands OR Ramps
* Oil Funnel
* HONDA ATF-Z1 (about 3Q)
* Oil Drain Pan
* Crash Washer (need to replace the old one)

1: LIFT the car. JACK STAND or RAMP.

2: Place OIL PAN UNDER TRANNY. Locate PLUG BOLT. UNTIGHTEN counter clockwise. Just enough to unscrew with your hands.
CAUTION! unscrew slowly. Let the oil drain while the bolt is still in, to prevent unnecessary spills. Totally unscrew the bolt and let it drain till it drips.

3: Clean the BOLT, PLUG (18MM). Its Magnetic. There will be some Dark Metal Scrapings. Clean it Thoroughly. Take out the old ALUMINUM WASHER. replace it with a new one (Honda sells it for $2.50). Ones cleaned put the BOLT PLUG Back it.

4: Refill the Tranny Fluid. Located above the enging bay. Use long tube funnel. Use all the 3q Tranny Fluid. *USE ONLY ATF-Z1* for reliability.

5: FOLLOW HONDA GUIDE HOW TO REV...

ONES ALL DONE -:vtec:

NOTES: I plan to drive it for at least 300 miles before i drain and refill it again. to remove more of that METAL SCRAPINGS. Tranny Fluid ATF-Z1 is fairly cheap anyway. cost me $25 for 3q.

MISC:
FLUID AFTER 33K: and New FLUID Difference:

Comments and Suggestions welcome to HELP us ALL...HOPE THIS HELPS THANKS...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just searching for this tonight ... you posted just at the right time. :)

I imagine this will be just about the same as the LX. I'll be honest and say I don't really know all that much about cars, so anything like this is helpful. lol

Anyway, I'm a first time Civic owner (as of July 6th) and the car has 65,000 miles on it so I'm thinking it may be a good idea to go ahead and do this. The previous owners said they got it serviced regularly, but the manual also says to change it every 60,000 (or so I've read) so it may have never been changed? People here say waiting that long is pretty much a bad idea and that it should be changed at least every 30K miles (link).

Also a bad idea that I've read just about everywhere is using something other than ATF-Z1 (link). I've read you can buy this in bulk on eBay for cheap. Is there anywhere locally that will have it other than the dealership?

Anyway, hope this helps someone else looking for the same questions about transmission fluid and changing frequencies. If anyone sees some "flaws in my logic", please let me know? :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How come the R18 plug is magnetic and the Si isn't?

We are forced to buy a magnetic plug, haha..
HMM. DDNT KNOW Si doesnt come with magnetic Plug. they should have. Damn Honda. trying to save in any aspect. As u can see in the pic it really helped. pulled a lot of metal. Thanks for comment.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Yeah the magnetic plugs are well worth it, when I removed my PWJDM plug for my tranny it had a lot of metal particles stuck to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just searching for this tonight ... you posted just at the right time. :)

I imagine this will be just about the same as the LX. I'll be honest and say I don't really know all that much about cars, so anything like this is helpful. lol

Anyway, I'm a first time Civic owner (as of July 6th) and the car has 65,000 miles on it so I'm thinking it may be a good idea to go ahead and do this. The previous owners said they got it serviced regularly, but the manual also says to change it every 60,000 (or so I've read) so it may have never been changed? People here say waiting that long is pretty much a bad idea and that it should be changed at least every 30K miles (link).

Also a bad idea that I've read just about everywhere is using something other than ATF-Z1 (link). I've read you can buy this in bulk on eBay for cheap. Is there anywhere locally that will have it other than the dealership?

Anyway, hope this helps someone else looking for the same questions about transmission fluid and changing frequencies. If anyone sees some "flaws in my logic", please let me know? :)
GLAD i helped. I plan to change the tranny fluid every 30K. i heard Transmission is the main problem with honda. keeping it clean and serviced may help it last longer. I plan to change my OIL and TRANNY PLUGS with better Neodymium magnet. and wrap my OIl filter with Neodymium magnets from my broken Hard Drive. make use if it at least. to maximize filtration. kinda crazy or over doing it i think. but i love this car and im planning to keep it for long. its my first car after all.

I just did an oil change with it too. i wanna post a DIY, but there is already one here. the only hard part of doing this is the LIFT.

Ive just flushed my Power Steering Fluid too. U wont believe how dark the fluid gets in time. it was easy too. i will post them sometime to help others.

I haven't flushed my brake fluid yet. I plan to do that next. even if nothings wrong with it or the fluids still clean. just wanna learn how to do things in my car. if it breaks i still have an extended warranty.

Call me crazy but im planning to change the Spark Plugs with DENSO Iridium. I know its 100k b4 change. Since im getting the money from my tips and it'll only take 1 night to get it, it wouldn't hurt. besides i might help other people whose wondering if there is any change.

Right now Im using K&N Filter and ENOES OIL 0-20W. i can tell u that there is a change. quieter engine and better acceleration.

Hope some of this helps u. R18 for me is not for racing. its an MPG car. so if u want good MPG take care of ur CIVIC. just an advice. THANKS...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have a question... when you do the 2500rpm part, is that free spinning on the lift the instructions are talking about, or is that driving?

and is it really required to do this 3 times? or is once good?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a question... when you do the 2500rpm part, is that free spinning on the lift the instructions are talking about, or is that driving?

and is it really required to do this 3 times? or is once good?
i did free spinning on the lift. did it couple of times. reverse and drive. manually shifting gears too. i think its just so the oil will cover the gears good. and shifts as u go 2500.

I just did mine ones for now. ill drain it again when i hit 300miles. just to take out some remaining metal scrapes. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Thanks for this. So basically it will take 3 times to get the old fluid out. That also means I will need to get 6 more qts.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts