8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Just because the gear ratio's state those MPH calculations doesn't mean the car can actually reach those speeds. It's just the limit those ratio's can go to if the car were able to max out the rpms.

I figured the auto would have far longer ratio's than our's which I wish I had for 5th...

Also, because the auto has longer gear ratio's, it accelerates slower than the m/t which has shorter, quicker ratio's which allow it to accelerate faster at the sacrifice of top speed. But we wont ever see those speeds stated due to many factors, both cars would probably hit a same top speed..

·
Registered
137 Posts
So an auto trans wouldn't be so "wound up" at highway speeds? That's one gripe with our Civics - at 75 - 80 MPH the RPMs just seem way too high. I'd rather stay in 4th longer & have a better 5th for highway cruising.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Yeah, with the auto at HWY speeds it wouldn't nearly be so high (RPM wise) than the m/t.

Wish we had a six-speed like the Si, or maybe even a longer 5th gear. It bothers me cruising at around +4,000 rpms on the highways.. all it does it provokes me to floor it.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just because the gear ratio's state those MPH calculations doesn't mean the car can actually reach those speeds. It's just the limit those ratio's can go to if the car were able to max out the rpms.

I figured the auto would have far longer ratio's than our's which I wish I had for 5th...

Also, because the auto has longer gear ratio's, it accelerates slower than the m/t which has shorter, quicker ratio's which allow it to accelerate faster at the sacrifice of top speed. But we wont ever see those speeds stated due to many factors, both cars would probably hit a same top speed..

Your correct. If the engine can place more engine rotations into a shorter distance it will have a higher rate of accleration under WOT.

Now my driving style is better suited to longer gears. I like to pull a light throttle but longer in the RPMS so that I actually acclerate faster in the auto trans that I would with the manual. based on normal driving style and not full thottle.

If I take off from a redlight and pull 4k rpms I will be at 25mph. But in then manual trans 4k rpms would only be 22mph. In a car with quick shifting gears I tend to drive them too easy and thus they are slower too me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.