8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of changing out my A/T fluid, among other things and was wondering if there was a better option then the regular stuff from Honda? I hear a lot of the Si owners talk about the amsoil stuff, do they have that for the A/T?

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
A couple of guys here used synthetic with no issues. I'm still up-in-the-air regarding it.

Amsoil has AT fluid, but it's at least $10 a quart.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I'll stick to the honda OEM fluids. I'm going to have a mechanic friend help me do the work but I don't want to use the Ford fluids (Ford mechanic). Is there a place to buy the stuff online or maybe from the dealership? How much do I need to do a flush?

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I've been using Redline brand fluids in my auto trans for about 20k miles now. Unable to say if its "better" but I fell good about using it.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Im using Mobil 1 synthetic auto tranny fluid in my EX. Shift quality is better esp driving during warm up when the tranny is cold. Shifts much smoother. Redlining the car also resulted in smoother shifts when i compare it to the Honda juice. 40K on my civic, 10K on the fluid.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Honda does not "recommend" A/T flushes, but neither does it disapprove of them. In fact, Honda provides us technicians with an approved A/T flushing procedure when we need to perform it. Thus, it goes without saying, that Honda does NOT have a strict anti-flushing procedure with its A/T's.

I definitely recommend flushing every 60k or so since the A/T does not need to be changed until 30k or so (it all depends on the maintenance minder in the newer vehicles). There's no need to flush every 30k obviously. Flushing is ideal because most of the ATF remains in the torque converter when you perform a simple ATF drain. That's old fluid that will just recirculate into the A/T fluid system.

I'd stick with ATF-Z1 which can be purchased at the dealership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts