8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick Release Steering wheel with working horn 8th Gen Civic 2006-2011

:police:** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR CAR** ** THIS IS ALL ON YOU I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR EXPLODING AIRBAG OR ANY ELECTRICAL DAMAGE NOR WILL 8THCIVIC.COM OR ANYBODY THIS IS ALL ON YOU**

I will try to be as detailed as possible anything I left out you can ask below and I will reply as soon as possible.

TOOLS:
Socket Wrench
Extension for socket wrench
10mm and 17mm socket
Torxs bit set
Allen keys
Side cutters or scissors

NRG
NRG SRK-131H Hub (2001-2008)
NRG SRK-132H (2008 or newer)
Quick Release (Of your choice) *OPTIONAL*
Steering Wheel (Of your choice)

1. Start By Disconnecting your battery and leave it for at least 15 Minutes **MAKE SURE YOUR WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT AND STEERING WHEEL IS STRAIGHT** **CRUISE CONTROL BETTER BE OFF OR YOUR GOING TO HAVE THE LIGHT ON AND YOU CANT TURN IT OFF**
I personally like to disconnect the positive so you cant accidentally ground the negative by dropping it on bare metal

2. Find the plastic cover at the bottom of the steering wheel and pop it off revealing two clips at the bottom

The yellow is for the airbag and the other plug is for the horn ground

3. Disconnect the plugs from each other

4. Now you can get your torx bit and locate both screws on the left and right side and undo them

5. Pull the airbag towards you slowly and make sure you do not rip any of the cables that might get stuck

6. Un-clip the white plug that is connected to your clock spring

7. Break the nut loose using your 17mm socket it will be hard but not impossible once that is done straighten your wheel back making sure its centered and repeatedly hit the steering wheel from let to right up and down with your palm until it breaks loose

8. Remove the bolt completely and slowly pull the wheel towards you making sure you do not move the clock spring

9. Locate your airbag fuses that will come inside the hub box and plug them into the yellow connector make sure to plug into the smaller holes not the bigger holes on connector

10. To get your horn working your going to need to pick up your old steering wheel. You are going to have to locate the white plug you unplugged to take off the wheel and you will have to cut all the wires as close as you can to the plug except the green wire with the connector that is your horn 12V constant

11. Connect the white plug back to the clock spring and you should end up with something looking sort of like mine

12. Run the green horn cable through the hole in the hub and tuck the airbag wires and fuses behind the hub I didn't do this in the picture but I came back and did it

13. The NRG quick release come with a grounding ring which you will only use one of the two. It is crucial to use the grounding ring or your horn will not work. You connect the black wire coming from the lower half of the quick release to tab on ring to create a grounding point and the yellow to the green w/yellow stripe wire you ran through the hole it should click so you know its in there secure the ring will not click the ring should get sandwiched in between the hub and quick release make sure both the hub and quick release are lined up with the dots or NRG symbol both at the top

14. You are done install the wheel and enjoy your hard work should only take 1 hour

No airbag light

Before

After

Hope this could help you out since no one has a good tutorial on this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Airbags are important. I work in an emergency department and see people get horribly injured from car accidents all the time.

Please consider the risks of doing this mod before removing your airbag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airbags are essential in an accident situation please drive safely if this modification is done. As well you should know the risk you are taking since the product clearly states it is for off road use only

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I recently purchased the 131h adapter and it came with the 2 split red wires but also white and a red wire. I imagine for horn but they dont have any help or literature that comes with it. I made a post with pic if that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I switched my stock steering wheel over to a quick release (OMP). The short hub, quick release and the wheel itself are all from the same company After a few months with it (everything being perfectly fine), I found myself no longer using the quick release... it is now the short hub itself that it the quick release... obviously this is a big issue. I do not know what happened I’m not aggressive with it when it comes to taking on and off my wheel (sometimes I don’t even bother doing that). Any ideas of why my hub can be disconnected more efficiently than my actual quick release?

thank you,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts