8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing that my car feels slower than I think it should/it used to be. Its still completely stock (unfortunately), so its doesn't have to do with mods. The car only has 5k miles on it, and I am very diligent about changing oil/checking etc.

When I got the car in Ohio, vtec felt very strong, mostly due to higher octane than the piss water we get in California. However, when I was driving it out to L.A. where i go to school, there were some stretches in North Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona where all the gas stations only had 89. It was my only option so I used it, but didn't go above 3k to avoid knocking.

Its been a few months since that, so my question is, after the ECU retards timing for lower quality gasoline, does it re-advance timing once it sees better gas? Or should I reset it and give it a fresh start? Lastly, could it be the oxygenated fuel they have in California?

I want to get the car on the dyno eventually, just to make sure, but that won't be until after the new year. I think my car is fine, I just want to make sure I don't have a factory lemon. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've been noticing that my car feels slower than I think it should/it used to be. Its still completely stock (unfortunately), so its doesn't have to do with mods. The car only has 5k miles on it, and I am very diligent about changing oil/checking etc.

When I got the car in Ohio, vtec felt very strong, mostly due to higher octane than the piss water we get in California. However, when I was driving it out to L.A. where i go to school, there were some stretches in North Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona where all the gas stations only had 89. It was my only option so I used it, but didn't go above 3k to avoid knocking.

Its been a few months since that, so my question is, after the ECU retards timing for lower quality gasoline, does it re-advance timing once it sees better gas? Or should I reset it and give it a fresh start? Lastly, could it be the oxygenated fuel they have in California?

I want to get the car on the dyno eventually, just to make sure, but that won't be until after the new year. I think my car is fine, I just want to make sure I don't have a factory lemon. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The ECU should adapt to the fuel after a hundred miles or so. Most ECUs run tests when the car is at sustained speed for a period of time so if you drive for 10-15 miles at 62mph, it will probably recalibrate itself....at least that's how it works on Nissans.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't checked my tire pressure, so that could be it. I've only had the oil changed once at the dealer, so i'll probably switch to synthetic on the next change.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I haven't checked my tire pressure, so that could be it. I've only had the oil changed once at the dealer, so i'll probably switch to synthetic on the next change.
you're probably just used to the power. My si has been stock since i got it over a year ago, and it feels slow as balls nao. When i first got it I felt like it was too fast for me to even control

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
different altitudes? maybe that's why you feel a difference? maybe you got more power at lower altitudes in some areas and then returned to a high altitude area and the power feels different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts