8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quick DIY for blacking out the headlights. This will require baking the headlight in the OVEN (i'm not kidding). To all the newbs at this project, practice with a crappy old headlight from a junkyard.

The main housing and the clear housing is attached by small clips at sides (usually). But mainly, the headlights are glued on together. Here are the steps:
1.) Remove headlights form car. (somebody pls. make this DIY, dis should be easy)
2.) Try to clean the headlights (remove any dust or any dirt on the headlights)
3.) Set your oven at 350 degress (dis is my setting, but other people have tried other temps. watever suits dem)
3.) Remove any unnecessay metal objects and rubber pieces as possible because this might melt unnecessary areas wit the main housing.
4.) Clear your oven and make room as much as possible. MAke sure that once you put in the oven it has room around the headlights.
5.) Dis is da Tricky Part. Try to put several towels folded on top of a rack (dis is where your headlights should rest upon. If not, the metal rack will melt some parts of your headlights.) Secondly, try not to have any parts of your headlights touch the inside of your very hot oven :)D
6.) Once in side, leave it der to bake for 10 minutes. NO MORE!!! if neglected, the clear headlights will deform!!!
7.) at this temp, the glue will be loose and the headlights will be very easy to pry out. Try to wear the oven mitts because the headlights will be very hot.
8.) Try to pry them out as fast as you can. Try to have a "foothold" on the headlights. Be CAREFUL that the adhesive glue do not touch any part of your headlights.
9.) if you can, try to remove some of the glue that was holding the headlights together.
10.) From here, you can do watever you want, i.e. remove the amber corner lights, or black out the headlights.
11.) To put the pieces together, buy a silicone adhesive glue (or some sort) to glue back on the pieces.
12.) try to have a perfect seal, if not, your headlights will fog up!
13.) Lastly, do one headlight at a time!!!!

Any further advice are welcome to be added!!!!

·
Banned
325 Posts
What a tool, the headlight is already black, you dont black out the reflector idiot. But thanks for the Useless waste of time and webspace.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
06Ex said:
What a tool, the headlight is already black, you dont black out the reflector idiot. But thanks for the Useless waste of time and webspace.
Thanks bro, i guess i jus have too much time in my hands...anywayz this is jus general info that can applied to other cars:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've seen this DIY in multiple car forums. Another way to do this if there is an aftermarket part is to use a small dremmel tool to "saw: apart the two pieces. Some companies make just the clear cover part of the headlight for certain cars so you can buy that rather than worried about baking your plastics too much. The Tiburon had this DIY for the tails so you could match body colors or whatever.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tinting the headlights will look way nicer, since the housing inside is already black.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I blacked out the headlights in my 7th gen I didn't like the idea of putting the lights in the oven. So I used a heat gun to melt the seal instead and it worked great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GeeOff said:
When I blacked out the headlights in my 7th gen I didn't like the idea of putting the lights in the oven. So I used a heat gun to melt the seal instead and it worked great.
did the same with reflectors on the TL.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I knew about the oven but I think I will like the heat gun idea a lot better.

And yeah, let's try it on the front headlights. I'm dying to buy a headlight assembly on ebay and take it apart. Maybe I can take that amber off and add an angel eye to the high beam...yeahhh.....!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts