8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i see alot of people on here have audio systems. but one thing that keeps me in wonder. is why when they have only one sub. but they have like 2 amps. why. does stock speakers require amp to make them sound better? i have 2 12inch reference series subs. i only have one infinity am with 1200 watts to supply them and it bangs hard already.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
One amp is for the sub(s). The other amp is to power the other speakers. Odds are, those people have aftermarket speakers and are using the amp to get the optimal sound quality. That is not always possible by just running the speakers on the headunit.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
well your tweeters are your hi's because they have higher frequencies. your mids (door and rear deck speakers) have a midrange frequencies.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
as i see alot of people on here have audio systems. but one thing that keeps me in wonder. is why when they have only one sub. but they have like 2 amps. why. does stock speakers require amp to make them sound better? i have 2 12inch reference series subs. i only have one infinity am with 1200 watts to supply them and it bangs hard already.
I've got 3 amps, but I do not have a stock system.

One amp is for my tweeters & midranges.
One amp is for my midbasses.
One amp is for my subwoofer.

*shrugs*

Edit: Pic of said setup (during the build process):

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I've got 3 amps, but I do not have a stock system.

One amp is for my tweeters & midranges.
One amp is for my midbasses.
One amp is for my subwoofer.

*shrugs*
does the midbase do much? Do you only need it if you have realy low freq subs, and mids that dont go low enough? Or do they take some of the freq. the mids normaly see? Where in the car are they? Just curious

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I divided my front stage up into 3 different drivers so one speaker play the majority of the human voice (midrange), rather than going with a 2-way and splitting that up in the 2k-4khz range.

This also allows a speaker to play with more fortitude.

The main requirements of a dedicated midbass (since you're asking specifically about that speaker) is that it can play pretty low. Mine goes down to 50hz/63hz depending on the music and they are in the stock door location. The subwoofer plays no higher than 50hz. This allows me to have "up front" bass, rather than having it easily located (the "I feel it in my back" crowd). In the back is not what I consider a proper front stage. No way. The install is as much, if not more important than the speaker used. I can actually turn my sub off and not miss it at times. I've had friends ride with me when and ask what I have in my doors because they have such authority.

But, my music tastes are so varied, that ocassionally I'll bump to some rap and I don't so much mind the bass hitting me in the back. But, like I said, that's not my idea of a proper front stage.

My setup is usually as follows:
Tweeter: 7.1khz w/24db slope - +
Midrange: 250hz w/24db slope - 6.3hz w/18db slope
Midbass: 63hz w/24db slope - 230hz w/24db slope

·
Registered
113 Posts
that would be the only reason why they have 2 amps unless they are using to mono amps for two subs other than that, i wouldnt know. there would be no reason for it either

·
Registered
42 Posts
to the OP- it is possible to have 2 amps to run 1 sub. some sub amps can be "strapped" this is to gain more power. 1000watt + 1000watt =2000watt. i dont know if these amps are popular anymore but i remember where SPL Drag was in they were widely used.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
It's pretty simple, guys.

If you have speakers you want to push with an amp, you buy one. :)

One of the best stereo systems I've ever heard had 3 amps: one for each speaker. He had one for tweets, one for midrange, and one for subs.

Each tweeter and each midrange was getting 500w rms. That is the single best car I've ever heard. It was flat out amazing. Clarity was superb, depth was amazing, width was insane, everything about that setup was immaculate. Probably why he always places first in SQ comps. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts