8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There used to be a thread that I posted these questions in, but I can't find it. So I'll make it again.

After going to the gym today, I have a few questions for you men!

1) Why do men always work out in groups? I very rarely see men working out on their own. I see women working out alone often, but men are always in posses, talking, spotting, etc.

2) Yes, I'm using the weight machines. Yes, I know what I'm doing. No, I don't want to use the treadmills. I want muscle definition! Why must you stare at me? Are you checking me out? Or is it so weird to see a woman on the machines?

3) What is it with all the weird sounds you men make when lifting? I'm sure I make a ton of wierd faces, but I don't make a peep. You guys seem to hold contests over who can make the most bizarre noises. I had one guy sound like a squeaking, deflated balloon.

4) Why do you get the deer-in-headlights look when I say something to you? I'm just asking if you want another set on the machine or if you mean to stand there with your thumb up your ass. Give me an answer instead of giving me a dumbfounded look. I'm trying to be courteous!

That's all I got for right now.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
1) I don't. However, on rare occasions I welcome a good workout friend if I can find someone who can keep up with me and is good at co-motivation. On the other hand, if you've ever had 400lbs+ sitting on your throat from a failed bench and no spotter, life looks pretty grim...

2) You mean one that is not sitting there talking on her cell phone rather than actually working out? I'm staring because I am about to have a rage coronary ;)

3) Its a guy thing. Hulking out. Psyching out. Whatever you want to call it. Its like those male sheep butting heads on the hillside. RAWR.

4) Mongo not understand WUMAN. Why you speaking to Mongo. I lifing big weights. You go away so I not hurt you if weights falls on small WUMAN.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
1) To intimidate the other men in the room
2) We're just lookin out for ya. I wouldn't wanna be the last to help a girl out ;)
3) I roar..
4) Crap.. good question!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Janizary said:
1) I don't. However, on rare occasions I welcome a good workout friend if I can find someone who can keep up with me and is good at co-motivation

2) You mean one that is not sitting there talking on her cell phone rather than actually working out? I'm staring because I am about to have a rage coronary ;)

3) Its a guy thing. Hulking out. Psyching out. Whatever you want to call it. Its like those male sheep butting heads on the hillside. RAWR.

4) Mongo not understand WUMAN. Why you speaking to Mongo. I lifing big weights. You go away so I not hurt you if weights falls on small WUMAN.
Always good for a laugh. And I actually did. Thanks, lol. You're great. :laughing::thumb:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
zenith931 said:
There used to be a thread that I posted these questions in, but I can't find it. So I'll make it again.

1) Why do men always work out in groups? I very rarely see men working out on their own. I see women working out alone often, but men are always in posses, talking, spotting, etc.

2) Yes, I'm using the weight machines. Yes, I know what I'm doing. No, I don't want to use the treadmills. I want muscle definition! Why must you stare at me? Are you checking me out? Or is it so weird to see a woman on the machines?

3) What is it with all the weird sounds you men make when lifting? I'm sure I make a ton of wierd faces, but I don't make a peep. You guys seem to hold contests over who can make the most bizarre noises. I had one guy sound like a squeaking, deflated balloon.

4) Why do you get the deer-in-headlights look when I say something to you? I'm just asking if you want another set on the machine or if you mean to stand there with your thumb up your ass. Give me an answer instead of giving me a dumbfounded look. I'm trying to be courteous!

to properly answer ur q's ill need to see what u look like...:hitit:

·
Banned
441 Posts
zenith931 said:

1) Because it makes them look like they know what we're doing. If they show off in front of one another, maybe they'll force themselves to lift 300lbs instead of the 160lbs they actually CAN lift. Same as always; women get **** done. Men stand around and go straight to number 2.

2) Probably cuz he thinks you're watching him trying to flex in his muscle-less shirt. Nothing wrong with a treadmill though. Works out the cardio and helps some people breathe easier when they're working with the weights. I always try to include both in my workouts.

3) two reasons. first, he probably hasn't realized it takes more energy to make noises AND lift then to just lift. And if he knows that, see number 1, because that noise probably means "holy **** I'm gonna die".

4) Because of number 2. He could think you're hitting on him when you're just asking if he wants to use the machine. He'll go back to number 1 and say "Dude, that chick over there just totally hit on me." Then they'll tell him "well, duh, go ask for her number dude." And if it were me and he came back, asked for my number he'd catch a barbell to the jewels.

:coffee:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
1. men are lazy so we need motivation to go to the gym so we take a friend so we make each other go, also we need a friend to spot each other.
2. we're just checking you out
3. weird sounds make us lift more.
4. were shocked that you actually talked to us so you caught us off guard

·
Registered
109 Posts
zenith931 said:
I don't work out in groups. Mostly because I'm busy and I have a family so my gym time is hardly in sync with other guys. However, if I can synch up with the guys, we like pushing each other since (well at least for me) I like doing my strength training when there are other guys that can actually #1 motivate me to push out the last few reps and #2 help me when I can barely land the final rep.
zenith931 said:
If you are really hot, then its pretty obvious. If you are average or worse, I have to concur with the cell phone statement above! LOL
zenith931 said:
In my Tae Kwon Do classes, my sensei used to always say that a "kiyaaa" allowed me to focus my energy into my strikes or blocks. I personally have taken that to the gym and (while I try to keep the volume low) the last few reps will burst with my "KIIIIYAAAAA" lol...
zenith931 said:
Stop talking to the guys with small brains! jk LOL. When I was younger, I used to let drop dead gorgeous girls affect me like that. As I matured, I realized how silly that was. Now, I keep my cool....but sometimes in the inside...I feel like a deer in the headlights. Now...I'm not sure how you look...but I was assuming the beauty from the scenario description. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
zenith931 said:

1. we like to chill
2.Yes we are checking you out live with it
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Im guessing you are hot so that will happen often
5. stop being an attention whore

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
Janizary said:
1) I don't. However, on rare occasions I welcome a good workout friend if I can find someone who can keep up with me and is good at co-motivation. On the other hand, if you've ever had 400lbs+ sitting on your throat from a failed bench and no spotter, life looks pretty grim...

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
zenith931 said:

1. We're trying to be the alpha male of the group.

2. We're taking advantage of your attention being diverted to the machines to check your body out.

3. See #1

4. We're faking to be paying attention but really looking at your boobs. :lildevil:

·
Registered
289 Posts
1) I sometimes workout alone but it's always nice to have someone to talk to while I'm working out and to have someone tell me "come on, you got one more, keep going." Plus, it's nice to have a spotter there when I need one.

2) If you catch me checking you out, it's cause I think you're cute. Sorry for finding you attractive. I'll try my best to not have you catch me next time.

3) I don't really make weird sounds. If anything, it's just me breathing.

4) Does not apply to me

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1) Why do men always work out in groups?
i can't speak for all men, and I don't like working out with people myself as it wastes time, but... men work out in groups for the motivation. When one guy does a certain weight, the next guy will try to match or go beyond. It is also encouraging when they are pushing themselves beyond what they would normally do alone.

2) Why must you stare at me? Are you checking me out? Or is it so weird to see a woman on the machines? There is ALOT of testosterone flowing through a guy when he is working out. When he catches site of an attractive woman working out next to him, of course he is going to stare. He really can't help it. Yes, I would say 85% of men are checking out the women in their sport/gym clothes that are around in the gym. If not, they are either ***, or dead.

3) What is it with all the weird sounds you men make when lifting?
Depends on the sounds they are making. If they are grunting, then they are lifting a very heavy weight and yelling or grunting gives them an extra "push" to control the weight. If it's high pitched squeaking sounds they are making, then they have been taking to many steriods, and their balls have shrunk, thus raising the nosie level of their grunt to a squeak. Other guys make sounds because they want attention.

4) Why do you get the deer-in-headlights look when I say something to you?
Again, with all the testosterone flowing, looking at you is the least of your problems. Just imagine what is going through the guys head! If they are actually having an intelligent conversation with you, then again, they are either *** or dead. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Why do u women... stare at me from the treadmill..... while im freakin walking ?

i notice it ... cause i see heads turned towards me....im not even looking at yalll who cant change MTF.....

im happy with my girl. and she cant manually transmit.

and guys answering this threads question no 2.......i thought ud make a GOOD COVER UP!

·
Banned
3,117 Posts
1. Because its motivation... nothing is more boring then lifting weights. The same can go for women... why do you guys read books while sitting on a excecise bike. And "SPIN CLASS" looks a little more exciting then doing dead lifts.

2. They are checking you out.

3. Its pushing your body to its current limits and giving it all you have. There are some clowns that throw weight and yell. I barely grunt.

4. We are focused, and blood is flowing. If you want a meaningful convo.. go to the library ;)

<3 ya

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
1. I rather work out alone.
2. Butt, Boobs, face, stomach. In that order. No other reason. If I look twice im checking the order again.
3. I dont make noises, I just breathe
4. Low self esteem

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
1. Motivation and Competition for the most part. But also keep in mind we need spotters. If its leg day and im down in the hole with 225 and I cant make it back up on my 10th rep. I need another person who can get me back up. I mean you could drop it or try and lean back on it but that is genuinely dangerous. Same with any free weight exercise where you are going to failure...you MUST have a spotter.

2. Self explainitory. They are checkin out that azz in those little shorts your wearing and wondering if you think they are hot since they lift big weight!

3. LOL, you think they are loud. Go on YouTube and check out Big Ron Coleman. That man is loud. YEA BUDDY! LIGHT WEIGHT! THATS WHY WE LIVE IN THIS WORLD! Just a few of his favs. I definetly make some noises. I started out being quiet as possible because I thought it was weird but then I kinda got used to it and let go a bit....kinda like makin noises in bed if you are uncomfortable with that......now I will throw out a yea buddy and shake the bar and get all jacked before hand if I am puttin up something big. Plus you have to keep in mind we are so jacked up on NO-XPLODE its hard not to....all of our veigns dialate and i do mean ALL and its like drinking 10 cups of coffee and then watching some dude PII your Girls B. By the time we get to the gym we are really hyper and angry.

4. After all of our yelling and making weird noises and staring at you we are absolutely shocked you would say anything to us at all. Also, most of the time if I have been making noises I am not in the mood to be messin around with a girl. Its like being at war, it can get pretty intense sometimes. We smack eachother around and stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
zenith931 said:

1. I myself dont mind working out alone unless its a chest or leg day but workout partner helps wit motivation and can set a good pace u do ur set partner does theres u go again rather than jus standing n watching the clock for 90 sec or w/e

2. They are simply just checking you out, its normally the older guys who are the worst

3. I personally do not make sound I guess it is just how someone lifts could be with their breathing

4. Could just be your hot and alot of guys are inept to talking to girls(for ex. watch superbad) or also when people lift they get really into it/focused and when you ask them they werent fully aware of it and took time to respond

1 - 20 of 57 Posts