8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i commute daily to college. Today on my way back it was dark and i noticed some cars had really really bright lights (some were blue, some were purple, and some were really bright white) now were those HIDS? and what exactly are HIDS. My friend told me they were illegal and they acutally dont help you in the night cuase they are all show. True?

And if they arent HIDS... what type of bulbs were they? And do these bulbs work on the new civic or do you need some kind of kit to install em...

Thanks

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
HID _ high intensity discharge... usually acura, bwm, lexus, mercedes, etc all use HID lights from the factory. They do indeed have a more "white" light effect. All companies tend to use different levels of intensity. The lights can give off a different color depending on the angle you see the lights at. Sometimes from the sides they look more blue, but straight on they get more white looking. The higher the # of the kelvin scale - the color shifts. Here is a scale.

Some people believe that the higher you go on the scale - the better - not the case. Basically 4300-6500 are what most people use. When you go above 6500 you're basically getting blue-purple lights, and it's not good for vision. Cops are more likely to pull you over for bulbs looking like that too.

installing the lights on a non-HID factory car is actually illegal. Cops can actually give you a ticket for having them on a car not issued them from the factory. Basically - you have to either have your lights aimed too high, too "off color", or something to get pulled over for it. A lot of people have HID kits on their cars and get away with it.

Bulbs that you can put in your car now - are usually tinted blue (the bulb glass). They make the road look a lot more like HID lights, but don't last for anything. Don't waste your money on these "HID type bulbs".

True HID's require a Kit to install. It's not just plugging a different bulb into your headlight.

:driving: hope that helps kabs

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh =( thanks webby

I love the look... and i saw that some of em actually make the road more visible.... and it turns heads.... i would want that

thats really crap... so acuras can have them legally and hondas cannot? i think thats really ***.

BTW if i wanted to illegaly get a HID kit for the Si... how much do those things go for with installation.... and would a dealer install them for you?

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I think the kits are around 500ish? Search "HID" - and there was another member who installed the kit on their car already. Maybe they can tell you what they paid.

yes- acuras have them on the car stock. It's a price thing - keep costs down. Usually it's the higher end vehicles that have them. Like - toyota doesn't - lexus does. VW doesn't - Audi does. Honda doesn't - Acura Does. And if you didn't know, maybe I should mention those comparisons are the same company. VW is low end Audi and so on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Xenon HID

I put Xenon HID headlights in my 06 Civic. They look awesome, get a lot of looks, and improve night vision. I recommend ordering from XenonPros. The McCulloch brand they sell comes with a 1 year warranty, and is really easy to install. Just keep in mind, you have to access the passenger side bulb through the wheel well. The driver side bulb can be accessed by removing the coolant reservoir box. I mounted the ballasts on the strut towers, with self tapping screws. Otherwise, you will have to remove the front bumper and mount the ballasts under the "metal bumper beam (not sure what the proper name is).

www.xenonpros.com

Xenon headlights improve night vision drammatically. White offers the most vision, and as you go bluer, the less bright they are. I personally have the 12K, which is purple, and has the least light output. Stock Xenon headlights are generally 6000-8000K in color.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts