8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, it's me again. I wanted to ask you guys and galls another question:
1. Is it possible to do a time and cost-effective tranny swap, taking out the current auto and dropping in a manual from another 8th gen civic? Also if it is possible to make it time and cost-effective would it make the reliability of the car worse? But in general, this is not an idea I am %100 up to doing, but it's floating around
2.would it be a good idea to put a turbo on it, if so what kind of turbo and also would put a turbo on the car affect the reliability?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you've got the money and especially time those are both options... I would say time is a bigger constraint than money in most cases, but neither project is going to be cheap

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you've got the money and especially time those are both options... I would say time is a bigger constraint than money in most cases, but neither project is going to be cheap
Yeah, I never expected it to be dirt cheap. I would most likely do the turbo thing instead of the transmission swap

·
Registered
505 Posts
You would probably be better to find a manual transmission car before swapping yours. You would need quite a few parts to make it happen.

Being your car is auto I'd maybe look at a Kraftwerks or Jackson racing supercharger kit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah man. If you're deciding to trans swap your 8th gen civic, the small engine bay makes everything super difficult. I was all hot and heavy about making my Si the first vehicle I aftermarket turbo, but after researching the difficulty, cost, and results of what the input to output would be. Cost plus time in comparison to results. Not to mention the tools i'd need to pull the engine if I'd wanna rebuild the internals. I'd be in thousands of dollars in the hole for a less reliable vehicle. I wanna go fast, but what I decided i'm gonna do is maintain my vehicle and save up for a platform with a bigger engine bay, more base power, stronger stock trans (manual already), and I think I'll be more satisfied results. I could drop 5000$usd in my aftermarket turbo on my civic, or drop 5000$ on another platform and go faster.

I love my Civic Si, but I can wait to turbo if it'll cost me the same thing on another vehicle and get more impressive results.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't let my post discourage you though. With enough motivation, determination, and cash or credit cards, you can make anything happen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't let my post discourage you though. With enough motivation, determination, and cash or credit cards, you can make anything happen
well if you put it that way I may have to consider other options or consider how much money I would need and time and who would help me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would probably be better to find a manual transmission car before swapping yours. You would need quite a few parts to make it happen.

Being your car is auto I'd maybe look at a Kraftwerks or Jackson racing supercharger kit
One question about these superchargers, what is their price range and two how much would it affect the reliability of the car because this is my first car and I still need it to get me from A to B

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first SI has a supercharger already installed, the CT engineering which is quite neat and makes plenty of power for normal driving. It's simple, no after cooler, normal pulley so normal boost nothing crazy. Not sure if they put in bigger injectors or not but I'm quite happy with it and it makes it beautiful sound at the higher rpms.
Not sure how, if, or by whom it was tuned, so do your research but the supercharger itself is about $3,500 new from my internet research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts