8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 mugen si that I’m going to be getting painted but have some questions first.
My driver and rear driver doors need to be replaced because they have small dents in them from when I was side swiped.. can I take doors off of a 2008 regular civic and put my door panels on them so they’re black instead of tan?

I also need(not necessarily need, more want) to replace my front and rear bumpers because of minor damage. Can I take the bumpers off of a regular si and add on the lips from my car or do I need mugen bumpers? If I need mugen bumpers can someone post links to the official mugen website please?
would bumpers from eBay be sufficient or no?(links to eBay bumpers would be nice too if possible)

lastly, when my car was side swiped the doors got very small dents in them. I’m painting the car because I want my car to look brand new again. The doors are minor but the biggest problem is the fender. You can’t see damage to the fender but when I open my driver door the door and fender rub each other. I can take a regular si fender and place it on the mugen, correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got one this weekend too, congrats! 55k miles and only issue is some paint fade on A-pillars, no damage.
For the cars sake I would stick at least to genuine Honda Parts and not aftermarket bumpers.

I am curious if I can add a tow hitch (for bicycle) in the center of the rear skirt. Looks like there is a small pop out square there where it just may fit perfectly. I had a hitch on my last 2007 Si but it did not have this same diffuser.

MUGEN rear.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I brought my car to Macco.. they’re going to paint the car, fix the fender, fix the dents etc. basically make it look “brand new” they said. I’ll let you all know with pics how it comes out for whoever is interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much did they Quote? Fiji Blue Pearl looking brand new is going to be 3-5k I think

I brought my car to Macco.. they’re going to paint the car, fix the fender, fix the dents etc. basically make it look “brand new” they said. I’ll let you all know with pics how it comes out for whoever is interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With taxes and all it’s going to be 1850. I read a lot of their reviews on yahoo and they seemed good. I seen two cars in their shop that they just painted and they looked great. If my car comes out as good as those two I’d be very happy.
I know you get what you pay for so let’s see in a few days. They’re going to do it the same color I have now, fiji blue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, very interested in seeing the result. The Fiji Blue Pearl is a 3 layer paint I believe. And my understanding is it is pretty expensive for the paint only. I hope you get a good result too as we should treat our MUGENs well since there are only 1000 total.

With taxes and all it’s going to be 1850. I read a lot of their reviews on yahoo and they seemed good. I seen two cars in their shop that they just painted and they looked great. If my car comes out as good as those two I’d be very happy.
I know you get what you pay for so let’s see in a few days. They’re going to do it the same color I have now, fiji blue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t know if they’re going to do 3 layers or not, but I went there today and they had the whole car sanded down and were getting ready to start the paint job. They were able to fix the fender and the dents in the doors so that’s pretty cool. Have to wait until Monday unfortunately to see the end result..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any updates? Curious to see the result. Hope you are happy with it!

Don’t know if they’re going to do 3 layers or not, but I went there today and they had the whole car sanded down and were getting ready to start the paint job. They were able to fix the fender and the dents in the doors so that’s pretty cool. Have to wait until Monday unfortunately to see the end result..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing yet, still waiting for them to call me to go pick up the car. I’ll post pics, just keeping my fingers crossed that I’m pleased with the results!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, I have a 2008 mugen si that I’m going to be getting painted but have some questions first.
My driver and rear driver doors need to be replaced because they have small dents in them from when I was side swiped.. can I take doors off of a 2008 regular civic and put my door panels on them so they’re black instead of tan?

I also need(not necessarily need, more want) to replace my front and rear bumpers because of minor damage. Can I take the bumpers off of a regular si and add on the lips from my car or do I need mugen bumpers? If I need mugen bumpers can someone post links to the official mugen website please?
would bumpers from eBay be sufficient or no?(links to eBay bumpers would be nice too if possible)

lastly, when my car was side swiped the doors got very small dents in them. I’m painting the car because I want my car to look brand new again. The doors are minor but the biggest problem is the fender. You can’t see damage to the fender but when I open my driver door the door and fender rub each other. I can take a regular si fender and place it on the mugen, correct?
I don’t believe you should have to replace the driver and back passenger side door. I don’t know the extent of the damage, but I would imagine bondo would work just fine to fill the dent(s) with a repeated fill/sanding process. It’s going to be repainted so if done correctly it can look like factory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nothing yet, still waiting for them to call me to go pick up the car. I’ll post pics, just keeping my fingers crossed that I’m pleased with the results!
I’ve heard of Macco. The cheapest paint job is a one stage paint (no clear) costing -$500 depending on vehicle size and if there needs to be any repairs. The way I’d do it is just get a new color every year (basically a wrap but not as expensive). However, I have an understanding that you should always mask of anything you don’t want to get painted, since you can get your car back the following day since it is just a one stage process. You also have to keep in mind that there may be some orange pill.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
you can tell them to add clear. you should add two layers of clear coat. the issue you will run into like i did is they use a very thin and I mean then layer of paint. and will only do one coat of clear if you dont tell them to do more. the car will come out looking good. maybe some orange peel due to your color but tell them to spray more then one layer. the price will go up but will be worth it. Now if you decide to get your car vinyl wrapped later you will soon find why a thin paint layer sucks. If not you should be good pending the maaco they are all different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts