8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone notice that the shifts are alot smoother if you delay the shifting while the clutch is still depressed rather than immediately puttin the car into its next gear ?

seems like the revs drop more naturally rather than doing its infamous hang

i drive an 07 si.

better clarify

1.rpm @ 4k in 1st gear
2.you press the clutch all the way down
3.you do a delayed shift into 2nd gear ( instead of putting the car into 2nd RIGHT after pressing the clutch in)
4.let clutch out
5.?????
6.smoother drive

·
Registered
432 Posts
I drove my 07 SI like that for 3 years- no rushed shifting, clutch all the way in and foot off the gas before moving the gear shift lever and moving the lever slow enough so I could feel the syncros. Did this at all RPM's, speeds, never once had any tranny issues, gear pop outs, grind, rev hang, etc. Tranny was notchy going into third when temp's were cold, changed to Amsoil in the tranny solved the issue, car had the best shifting transmission I ever experienced.

·
Registered
809 Posts
In the city, I **** between 2k and 2.5k (rpms). Easier on gas, doesn't bogg out any. I get 32 miles to the gallon in city doing that there. Unless I really need to switch lanes really quick, then I give a little spurt.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i think that's how people recommend driving this car to begin with on the board.

basically, whereas normally you would take gas off, hit clutch and as soon as you hit the clutch all the way you'd move the shifter from 1-->2 and than roll off the clutch while easing in on the gas.

you should be hitting the clutch all the way, wait, "the exact time can be found by when the revs begin to drop" and than move shifter ..than roll clutch off, etc.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My friend with a 2004 GLI redlines his car on 1st gear every time.
I used to redline my old '99 DX almost every time in first gear... I was young ... it seemed smart at the time ...

The car was burning oil by 100k kms (60k miles) and was burning a quart of oil per tank by 150k when I traded it in for almost zero because I had driven the crap out of it. If I had been more responsible, it easily would have lasted me many more years and still had some trade in value.

In other words, kids do stupid things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts