8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres people on here that work for honda as mechanics so maybe someone can answer this for me.

If I were to buy another ECU and bring it to the dealership and have it programmed to my car, would that disable the original ECU from working?

Basically... can only one ECU be programmed to your car at a time, or is it possible to have 2?

My reasoning for this is potentially using the 2nd ECU to send to Hondata when I get my CTSC, so that I can still drive my car for the day or 2 that my ECU is being flashed. Then, once I have the CTSC flashed ECU, i can install my blower and only have it off the road for the one day of the install.

I know it seems kind of convoluted... but it makes sense in my mind

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I know theres people on here that work for honda as mechanics so maybe someone can answer this for me.

If I were to buy another ECU and bring it to the dealership and have it programmed to my car, would that disable the original ECU from working?

Basically... can only one ECU be programmed to your car at a time, or is it possible to have 2?

My reasoning for this is potentially using the 2nd ECU to send to Hondata when I get my CTSC, so that I can still drive my car for the day or 2 that my ECU is being flashed. Then, once I have the CTSC flashed ECU, i can install my blower and only have it off the road for the one day of the install.

I know it seems kind of convoluted... but it makes sense in my mind

Thanks for any help

i have always wondered the same thing, just didnt know how to put the question really lol, in for an answer from a honda tech *cough cough rene cough cough*

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn, any reason why?
Basically, the jist I got form it was this...

For the 'hotswappable' ECUs to work... the info to be changed needs ot be stored on the ECU, but when swapping ECUs, the info that needs to be changed is in the keys... so your keys would need to be re-programmed each time

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres what I found...

blueroadster said:
The stock ECM contains a static immobilizer code that cannot be changed. When you install a replacement stock ECM in your car, then you will need the HIM/HDS to copy the new immobilizer code from the new stock ECM to the gauge cluster module. This will then overwrite the immobilizer code that was stored in the gauge cluster module for your old ECM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.