8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I run a 3inch on my JRSC will I have to run meth? I dont race or go to the track at all but I would like to have the extra power.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What are you running now? and where do live climate wise? I like the 3 inch because the power comes on so quickly in the rpm range. If you don't race, and don't do a 3 or 4 gear wot pull, you should be okay. But without some sort of cooling, the heat will slow you down. Have you considered a 3.2 inch pulley? Without cooling, it would be safer, and top end won't be too much different.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have a 3inch pulley I bought from someone. I Have a Mishimoto Radiator to put in as well. I dont really want to run meth only because I came from the evo world and meth did nothing but cause problems. I also have a E85 gas station by my house so that could be an option as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well i dont know much about running e 85 and how it will help. But you can run an aftercooler as your cooling system just more expensive

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If I run a 3inch on my JRSC will I have to run meth? I dont race or go to the track at all but I would like to have the extra power.
You need some type of cooling. The temps that are created w/ the 3" are dangerously high. Its really not worth it unless cooled.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
ive been runnin a 3in pulley since i first became supercharged. you dont need cooling the rsx guys have been running it for a lot longer time than us with no problems. but cooling is high recommended for best possible power and safety. make sure you have a good tune n it should be safe. n watch out cuz as soon as you put that pulley on your whole tune needs to be messed with cuz you will run lean all over the place... also if you live in a hot climate i dont know if this would be a great idea unless you plan not to boost when it gets hot out. unless you get cooling. cuz with the 3in on it does produce ALOT more heat

i say run it but buy some sort of cooling for it down the road just for safety... your engine will love you for it

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
With the ct-e kits I've heard of people breaking even in gains to losses, without cooling, ultimately making a smidge more torque, but almost nothing in hp. Just what I've heard.

I'm sure you could run it, but I definitely think for best results, cool as well.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well you also have to factor in if you have a sri or cai, your IAT will make a large variance in what you see out of it, with a sri you probably wont see much cuz the intake temp is too hot to make much more boost and ultimately leave you unhappy with the choice. My truck has a intercooler setup on it from factory like most supercharged vehicles will. Im gonna say run meth but run it with a smaller jet to act as a chemical aftercooler. So then you wont have to worry about detonation or seeing little to no gains out of it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
With the ct-e kits I've heard of people breaking even in gains to losses, without cooling, ultimately making a smidge more torque, but almost nothing in hp. Just what I've heard.

I'm sure you could run it, but I definitely think for best results, cool as well.

Just my opinion.
Yes exactly, that's been the experience with the jrsc as well by the RSX boys.

If you cool, you will be able to use a much more efficient and powerful tune.

I went from jrsc 3.2 pulley and hondata reflash to 3.0 aftercooled and flashpro tune and netted 35-40 hp from the change. I still think meth maybe good for up to 5 additional hp based upon he rsx experience. This maybe because the after cooler results in a slight reduction in boost pressure (0.5-1 psi lost)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Damn those are some nice gains! I'm waiting for that aftercooler Noribuilt is working on over on crsx, that'd be sweet to gain that kind of power off of it! I assume you're using the jmerc?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I want to go for a 3 inch pulley for my JRSC setup... I live in upstate NY so basically for most of the year (8 months) it's pretty cold. Is it safe to go for it without cooling or no?

Would a Mishimoto radiator help my cause?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
should be safe man. i ran a 3in pulley for like 8mnths now here in nebraska with no issues n it has been hot as hell a couple of the months n also been cold as hell for the others...

on a hot day it was like 95 degrees out i datalogged n notice after 3 3rd gear pulls my intake air temps climbd to 180 degrees which is damn hot. just make sure on a hot day dont abuse it the car all to much n it might be a good idea to go buy a 96 civic iat sensor since the jackson racing manifold has a port for that to be installed then just tap the wires on your maf sensor for the new sensor n then disconnect the maf all together

just make sure you have a good tune with no knocks n it should be ok.

eventally you will want to go meth tho lol i just took the leap n got it all installed now i just have to tune for it. the quest for more power seems to never end

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
:O Yeah... when I abuse the car even with just the stock pulley I don't do it when it's hot out. I think I'll go for the 3 inch pulley and a re-tune from Innovative or something...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts