8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people talking about trade ins before, and I've seen tons of people mention that they work at car dealerships, so hopefully someone can help me.

I am considering trading in my civic for something bigger, and I have never done a trade in before so I'm just wondering what to expect.

I have RSX rims, and an after market shift knob, will this hurt my trade in value? I have the stock shift knob but I don't have my steel wheels/hub caps anymore.

My car has been in a minor accident, but everything was replaced (a door and rear quarter panel) so there is no body filler or anything like that on the car. Will this hurt me?

I know its impossible to say how much I will get for my car, but its an 07 LX coupe, 5 speed, mileage in the mid 40s (I can't remember exactly), and I still owe about 13,000 on it. How do you guys think I will do? I've always liked the chargers, maybe dodge is desperate and will give me a good deal hahah

Sorry if I'm asking a bunch of specific questions that are impossible to answer, if any dealerships were open I would just go talk to them

·
idgaf
6,952 Posts
My car has been in a minor accident, but everything was replaced (a door and rear quarter panel) so there is no body filler or anything like that on the car. Will this hurt me?
Was police or insurance involved? if so, it could affect your vehicle history listing with CarFax

btw, you would be lucky to get 10k for it. Sucky economy

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I've worked at dealers for about 5 years but am currently out.

With insurance involved if they run a carfax on the car they will see it has been in an accident and offer you less for the car. How well the repair was done dosen't matter, just that an accident shows up on their paper.

Seeing that you are going to a Dodge dealer they problrably are DAMN desperate to move some cars so they may give you a decent trade in value, esp if you decline the deal and wait for them to call you back. I'd expect in the area of 11k as their first trade in offer on that car.

Here's a recent experience that may give you some insight. My friend just looked at a new loaded $32k V6 Accord at a huge Honda dealer, they would not budge past R30,500 for the car in the dealership and R12,500 for his 07 Si trade in with 36k miles, so we walked and they called him back 4!!! times, after those 4 calls they dropped the price of the Accord to $26k and upped his trade in to $14k. By just leaving the dealership he got about 6k more dollars off the deal, no exaduration..

This weekend we're going to Chrysler with another buddy and hoping they will do something similar.

good luck

·
Registered
363 Posts
Look up kelly blue book and figure up trade in value of your car. Expect to get the bottom figure or less offered to you. I just sold my car to an individual for 9700. The dealerships offered me 7,000 for my car. And this car was in mint condition. When you trade in like that they have more room to play on numbers and can make you feel like your getting a better deal when actually your not. It's all a game. If you are patient, try selling your car first, you'll be better off in the long run!

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
First of all, it doesnt matter if insurance knows about the accident or not. When the dealer hits it witht he paint meter they are going to know right away. Your probably looking at a 9K car in this market.

If you go to a Dodge store be careful. Make SURE you get the price of the car before mentioning your trade. Or they are going to hold gross to make up for your low trade number and they are just using profit to inflate your trade. If you can, go online and get some quotes on the car you want, then go in and have the appraise your trade. Try to get them to bump your trade atleast $1,000 more than they appraised it for. If you are patient with the online shopping and get a decent price you should be ok. I would still look into buying something like a Camry instead. Better car, and they too are desperate for business.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you have one nearby, take it to a Carmax and have them make you an offer. It'll take about 1-2 hours depending on how packed it is. If nothing else, it can be leverage against a dealer who's lowballing you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good advice.

I really love my civics mileage, but the extra room would be nice too. If only there was an easy way to move my seat back a few more inches!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts