8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the deal...I take delivery of my 00 Si on Sunday and im going to almost immediately take her up to DCH Honda here in NJ and get the estimate for the touch-up work on the car (small scratches from pebbles) and I called them up to ask about the body shop they do the work with. I am informed that I drop my Si off at DCH and one of their "People" drive my car over to the body shop which she wouldnt tell me how far away it was.

I have a few concerns...

1. How am i sure this "person" knows how to drive manual (well).
2. I don't really want someone joy riding in my car...
3. I've seen some horror stories about this process

One of which was my mother's boyfriend took his truck in to get an estimate on a trade-in and they sent a guy out to test drive it around and the guy came back claiming all sorts of things that were most certainly not wrong when we brought the truck in but then we get into the truck to leave and its def been abused it was almost as if the guy ran up a curb with it at a solid speed.

I've also had my TL driven miles to an alignment shop before and my tank of gas was cut in a 1/4 from when i brought it in (when gas was 4 bucks) and i was like...uhh who the hells going to pay for the 1/4 tank i just lost...they said it was expected...

So i guess for all of you members whom have thousands of dollars in mods what would you do because if a Honda rep demolishes your car I am sure that Honda will only comp the cost of the car and not your mods.

Do any of you have a work around...my thought is I ask them where the body shop is and i'll just deliver the car myself. But then why the hell use DCH as a middle man at a higher cost ...so i doubt they will tell me.

I just honestly don't want some mid 20 year old demolishing my clutch and joy riding in my car...so any ideas / thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Why do you have to use the body shop that your Honda dealer uses? I'd just drive around to the local body shops and see which one you trust the most. Then you can deal with the body shop directly instead of having your dealership do it for you. Then if they screw up, you know who to blame.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you have to use the body shop that your Honda dealer uses? I'd just drive around to the local body shops and see which one you trust the most. Then you can deal with the body shop directly instead of having your dealership do it for you. Then if they screw up, you know who to blame.
Honda Certified dealerships i can trust to match the paint if not i can reem them for it more than a mom and pop body shop. I rather ensure they match the color to near perfection and that it gets done right.

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
yeah i have a hard time trusting people too. i took mine to honda for warranty work and it came back with scrapes on the front lip, its the HFP lip and im not lowered.

if they wont tell you who does their work, dont take it to them. my dealership tells me, and its the same as insurance uses. i would ask around and go in to places ask who will be doing the work. see if he knows what hes doing. its pretty easy to tell that

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Do the work yourself then and check out 7thgen.com as u don't have an 8thgen

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
6th gen then? I dunno. If u can't do it urself then don't worry. Yeah stuff happens but what are the chances they do major damage to your car? U worry too much.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6th gen then? I dunno. If u can't do it urself then don't worry. Yeah stuff happens but what are the chances they do major damage to your car? U worry too much.
uhhh high...and yes 6th gen. Small FYI most of the Mods/Admins don't even drive 8th gens.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
They should be banned then. High risk of damaging your stock 00 Civic? umm

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
i would take pictures of the car before...and then after...if nething is wrong threaten the dealership with pictures and they will do alot to make u happy

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
B16a to K20z .. I'm an ex-B16a modifer in the days but to answer your question, write down your mileage, examine your car, take pictures if you want to. That's what I would do and if anything did happen, you have proof and you can do alot of damage to their end.

·
Registered
580 Posts
B16a to K20z .. I'm an ex-B16a modifer in the days but to answer your question, write down your mileage, examine your car, take pictures if you want to. That's what I would do and if anything did happen, you have proof and you can do alot of damage to their end.
Very, very important. One of my best friends worked for a auto garage and he said that the guys there would joy ride cars all the time whenever people brought in "fun" cars and left them for more than a day.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why don't you just get the name of the body shop Honda uses and take the car there yourself? A good body shop won't screw you over and will use factory paint. Also, tell them your paying out of pocket and not using insurance money and they will generally knock the price down some.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Why do you not have this car yet? You made a thread on January 29 saying you bought it, but you are actually taking delivery 17 days later? Hmmm, sounds weird to me.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why do you not have this car yet? You made a thread on January 29 saying you bought it, but you are actually taking delivery 17 days later? Hmmm, sounds weird to me.
Private Party Deal...I bought it, deposit in the day i test drove it. (week pre-superbowl) went out of town for a week and a half for the superbowl so i had to put the purchase off. He can only do the transition on weekends.

So...here we are :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ask honda for information on the bodyshop. By law, they have to provide you with information on who and where your car is being repaired or serviced by/who. Don't go to that honda if they won't provide you with that information. You're not obligated to go to that certain dealership, no excuses what so ever. I'd rather look for a shop myself than to deal with a dealership that won't cooperate. There is always concerns with abuse and such, your right by bringing it to a reputable dealer who provides quality service. But if they can't tell you whose servicing your car or where your car is being sent to, then they are not a reputable dealer. If they don't let you deliver the car yourself and communicate with the body shop that does your work, then something fishy is going on. Either they're lying about the body shop, or well yea they're pretty much lying. It does not make sense for them not to tell you where your car is going to be at. Just by listening to your story, I can already tell there are red flags, if your this concerned, i'd walk away and look for another business.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ask honda for information on the bodyshop. By law, they have to provide you with information on who and where your car is being repaired or serviced by/who. Don't go to that honda if they won't provide you with that information. You're not obligated to go to that certain dealership, no excuses what so ever. I'd rather look for a shop myself than to deal with a dealership that won't cooperate. There is always concerns with abuse and such, your right by bringing it to a reputable dealer who provides quality service. But if they can't tell you whose servicing your car or where your car is being sent to, then they are not a reputable dealer. If they don't let you deliver the car yourself and communicate with the body shop that does your work, then something fishy is going on. Either they're lying about the body shop, or well yea they're pretty much lying. It does not make sense for them not to tell you where your car is going to be at. Just by listening to your story, I can already tell there are red flags, if your this concerned, i'd walk away and look for another business.

good post. i agree totally

·
Registered
167 Posts
dude just take the car to sernio's in jersey city, nj. i took my rsx-s there after my crash. flawless work. they are a bit expensive but they are worth every penny

1 - 20 of 26 Posts