8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i installed my retros yesterday after a couple of hours of work and i am more than happy with the results.

This morning I walked outside to turn my car on and let it run for a couple of minutes and I noticed that my driver side headlight was not lit up. The fogs worked fine and so did the passenger side but no output from the drivers side.

I drove to the gym, which is only about 5 min from the house, and realized that the projector was finally on. Is this normal? I made sure all the connections were fine before putting the bumper back on. Not sure if temperature plays a role either—this morning it was actually snowing and temps were in mid 30’s.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
info about he retros please
types of bulbs? type of ballast? OEM? used or new?
did you use a relay harness?

my guess is its a bad ballast or bad wiring. most likely loose wiring.
temperature shoudl play no role. cars come with HIDs from the factory and they work in all temperatures.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TSX projector
6000K bulb
Slim Ballast
Plug and Play wire harness.

This was done by customlightz and it's brand new.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
double check your wiring again.
make sure the connections are secure, and that your wiring is routed nicely a tired up, but not too tight, you dont want pins pulling out of harness plugs.

if your 100% sure your wiring is good, check it with a volt meter (preferably one tiem when the light is not lighting up), make sure the plug supplying power to the ballast is actually supplying power/ground.

if it is supplying power ground/ you most likely have a bad ballast.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It might be a connection issue, I would check that first.

When you turn on your lights, do you hear a buzz coming from the ballast when it first fires up?

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
If you have a wiring harness, make sure it has a solid connection to the battery terminal as well. I had that issue. It could be a bad fuse which is easily replaceable.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses so far. I have not had any issues since that first day and i have been using the lights extensively. I rechecked all wires again.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i am bumping this thread again. As you can see from my previous posts i had a minor incident with my lights where they would not turn on immediately (this only happened once).

Well my problem is back. So today during my lunch i went home to download the latest e-tune for my flashpro. I had the my lights on during my drive home but as i was leaving, i realized that my lights would not turn on. I stopped and popped the hood to make sure all the connections were secured...it looked like they were. Then i proceeded to turn on the headlights to listen for the buzzing noise coming from the (ballasts?) but i did not hear anything. Could it be a bad fuse?

Could the FP have somehow blown the fuse? This seems like a dumb question but it literally occurred right after my reflash.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update: So as I was driving today, I noticed that the lights quickly flickered when i hit bump in the road, it's almost as if the connection was lost for a quick second.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Another update: So as I was driving today, I noticed that the lights quickly flickered when i hit bump in the road, it's almost as if the connection was lost for a quick second.
i have the same problem. it's the wires that connect to the fuse in the fuse holder. i got it to work for the time being by zip tying the wires together so they don't move. nothing like having your headlights turn off at midnight during a 300 mile road trip. :wheee:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have the same problem. it's the wires that connect to the fuse in the fuse holder. i got it to work for the time being by zip tying the wires together so they don't move. nothing like having your headlights turn off at midnight during a 300 mile road trip. :wheee:
Everything is plugged in securely with mine. Do you mean that the wires move around but are still plugged in causing some loss of signal to the headlights. At this point, my headlights do not work at all and i rechecked everything to make sure it was hooked up properly.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try getting a new fuse for the relay.
I spoke to Bjorn yesterday when i was changing my oil and he suggested getting a new relay; I did and no problems. I taped it up with some electrical tape because it seems some moisture got to the realy.

Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts