8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about state tint law. I have my car registered/insured in PA at my dads house and I also have a PA drivers license, but I have a house and reside in NJ as well as a NJ state ID with that address.

The PA tint law says, "The Majority of States conform to FMVSS205 and many still permit tinting as low as 30% , so it seems obvious that, even at this level, tint is "permitted by FMVSS205" and therefore LEGAL IN PENNSYLVANIA; This is the LAW passed by our legislators and it does NOT prohibit tint unless it "does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle;According to the Actual Law all other tint is legal."

But this is what the NJ tint law says, "Windshield - No tint is allowed on the windshield; Front Side Windows - No tint can be applied legally to this window; Back Side Windows - Any darkness can be used; Rear Window - Any darkness can be used; No metallic or mirrored appearance."

So my question is this, can NJ police pull me over and ticket me for having my front side windows tinted even though it is legal where my car is registered and insured? I understand that PA police could ticket me for breaking the rear darkness so let's not address that.

I tried contacting the DMV and several local police departments as well as looking around on the internet, but I get nothing but mixed answers. Figured I'd ask the group. Thanks. :thumb:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yea I have the same issue. I traded my 06 si in for a 08 Accord Coupe which came tinted in Texas. Well I am in the military and got orders to Buffalo, NY. I still have my Texas Plates and Isurance. I have 2 years left till I retire then will move back to my home in Florida. I don't want to remove my tint from the factory then have to have it put back on again. I have yet to be questioned or ticketed for it. I am just going to leave it alone untill I am stopped for it and have to go to court over it. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yea I have the same issue. I traded my 06 si in for a 08 Accord Coupe which came tinted in Texas. Well I am in the military and got orders to Buffalo, NY. I still have my Texas Plates and Isurance. I have 2 years left till I retire then will move back to my home in Florida. I don't want to remove my tint from the factory then have to have it put back on again. I have yet to be questioned or ticketed for it. I am just going to leave it alone untill I am stopped for it and have to go to court over it. Good luck.
For what its worth, I got my very first tint ticket in Buffalo while going to college in 1999. I didnt have to pay anything, just had to take it off (fix it ticket). Like yours, my vehicle was a souther vehicle that was shipped up and purchased and had tint that is not legal in NY, which I believe is the standard 35%. I had the truck for 2 years (one in upstate, one in Buffalo) and it wasnt til the third year in 99 when I got a ticket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It may be legal in one state, but illegal in another. The fact that your car is on their jurisdiction gives them the right to apply their laws. Sort of like, 'hey, marijuana is legal in my country, shouldn't it be legal in the one im vacationing in?'

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be legal in one state, but illegal in another. The fact that your car is on their jurisdiction gives them the right to apply their laws. Sort of like, 'hey, marijuana is legal in my country, shouldn't it be legal in the one im vacationing in?'
Two completely different things. Marijuana is federally illegal in this backwards ass country we live in. Even in CA if you have a medical card that allows you to walk through the streets smoking joints the feds. can arrest you. You are also talking about international laws and I am talking about state laws.

I understand the point of it being legal in one state and not another, and that they may have the right to pull me over...but that's the point of this post, to find that out. But I don't think the reasoning behind what you stated is correct.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
What ever state you claim is the state you have to honor (rules wise). I recently drove my car to Cali. Of course I was pulled over and questioned. But my car is regged in NC. So none of that Crazy Cali Law aplies to me. Just don't take it for granted. They have the badges. And youmight run across Alonzo from Training Day.

·
Registered
8,767 Posts
you can get pulled over for it and they can apply their laws on your car as long as it is within their state boundary... you enter their state = you follow their rules

BTW. i read it in dmv.ca.gov where i live

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't currently have my windows tinted but it is something I would like to do in the future. I just don't need to get harassed over something as minor as window tint. But I can't seem to find a consistent answer, interesting non the less.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
if you have pa tags ur good. but if you have nj plates like me and want to avoid getting tickets for tint, i hear you can get a "prescription" from an eye doctor saying you need it because you have sensitive eyes or something to that effect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
you should be fine, in every experience that i know of no one with pa tags was ever made to take off their tint in nj, my cousin has a black g35 its probably 4 or 5 years old but he had tint on it since the day he got it and where he lives is usually very strict for tint but he never got pulled over then he moved away and with in the last month got pulled over and had to remove the tint from the front windows, but one of my buddies got 3 tint tickets and still has the tint on their but you should be fine with pa tags

if you have pa tags ur good. but if you have nj plates like me and want to avoid getting tickets for tint, i hear you can get a "prescription" from an eye doctor saying you need it because you have sensitive eyes or something to that effect.
i heard that to, i forgot to ask my eye doctor when i was there but you better believe when i go and pick up my contacts im gonna ask

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Word thanks for the input everyone. I assumed I couldn't get in trouble for it but I regularly go from NY and back and don't need any hassles along the way, as well as Jersey having some not so ethical police officers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
For what its worth, I got my very first tint ticket in Buffalo while going to college in 1999. I didnt have to pay anything, just had to take it off (fix it ticket). Like yours, my vehicle was a souther vehicle that was shipped up and purchased and had tint that is not legal in NY, which I believe is the standard 35%. I had the truck for 2 years (one in upstate, one in Buffalo) and it wasnt til the third year in 99 when I got a ticket.
I will only be here 2 years working at the Navy and Marine Reserve center so I guess I will just take my chances rather than to remove it and have to put it back on when I move back to Florida.

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
you can get pulled over for it and they can apply their laws on your car as long as it is within their state boundary... you enter their state = you follow their rules

BTW. i read it in dmv.ca.gov where i live
That cant be right, because if your registration says SC and you are driving through VA on your way to visit someone in NY, then (according to what you are saying) they could ticket you. so what, im supposed to drive AROUND your state or take off my $200-$300 tint?

I am pretty sure your vehicle has to be registered in that state for that states law to be applicable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts