8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to wire up an amp to the stock lx head unit? I dont know of any pre-outs on the back that you could use. I want some polk audios but want to to try and keep the stock unit!! Thanks in advance for the answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
no preouts on the back of the unit...just unplug the stock speakers and plug in the new ones...I put components up front in my lx...I like having tweeters in the dash like the ex and si models have...to me..it sounds much clearer than just having 6.5" mids in the doors. Eventually, you need to upgrade the head unit or put a line out converter with an amp to get the speakers to sound good...stock headuinit does not have enough power to push aftermarket speakers well...hope this helps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
A lot of amps allow speaker line inputs. You could also get a separate line converter unit for a cleaner signal, but it's not necessary. For the speaker line inputs, the wires that come out of your head unit and feed your stock speakers would instead feed the aftermarket amp. Just make sure the amp has them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
There really isn’t anything magic about LOCs they are just a pair of capacitors and some resistors to pad down the signal level. As far as sound quality it makes no difference if you use external LOCs or ones built into the amp. The real source of SQ degradation is the distortion caused by the output amp section of the HU when you use the speaker outs.

jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
ct20 said:
no preouts on the back of the unit...just unplug the stock speakers and plug in the new ones...I put components up front in my lx...I like having tweeters in the dash like the ex and si models have...to me..it sounds much clearer than just having 6.5" mids in the doors. Eventually, you need to upgrade the head unit or put a line out converter with an amp to get the speakers to sound good...stock headuinit does not have enough power to push aftermarket speakers well...hope this helps...
My LX came stock with tweeters. Is that a difference between 06 and 07? I also did the line out option for a stock HU but wasn't too happy with it. I opted to go for an upgraded HU with subwoofer, and 4 channel outputs for better sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Not sure how your lx came with tweeters..I have an 07 lx sedan...and there was nothing up there but empty space...according to honda web site, lx does not come with tweeters...did you buy your lx new?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
ct20 said:
Not sure how your lx came with tweeters..I have an 07 lx sedan...and there was nothing up there but empty space...according to honda web site, lx does not come with tweeters...did you buy your lx new?
Yeah I got my coupe brand new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Are you sure you have the standard system? Do you have a rear deck woofer? If you have tweeters you might just have a factory amp tucked away somewhere, if you do then you can replace the factory amp and connect to the HU line outs and not have to use LOCs. Check to see if you have small pioneer amp in your system and let me know, I’ll tell you how you can add a new amp to this system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
That is the difference....you have a coupe...mine is a sedan...Do you have the upgraded sound system..or do all coupes have upgrade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
ct20 said:
That is the difference....you have a coupe...mine is a sedan...Do you have the upgraded sound system..or do all coupes have upgrade?
I don't have the factory upgraded sound system, but I did upgrade my sound system.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top