8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have i/h/e + skunk2 stage 2 cams and bored tsx tb with a portmatch.

I am currently on a slightly fuel map modified skunk2 stage 2 cams calibration from the flashpro. My 5000+rpm a/f ratio is right around 13:1 all the way to 8900rpm, give or take a small .10.

I was looking into tuning the cam angles, and was wondering if I could run these cams to 50 degrees advance???.....the base map calibration has it set at a maximum of 45 degrees.

I was wondering this because I do not want piston to valve contact by advancing too much. I saw that the gopower v1 cams calibration has its cam angles set to a maximum of 50 degrees, I am wondering if I could do the same to the skunk2 stage 2 cams? and will this make a little more power or not?

any advice from an experienced tuner would be greatly appreciated!

·
E-Tunez FTT!!!
1,941 Posts
The only way that you will find out what makes the most power is by strapping that baby on a dyno and trying different cam angles. Conversely, you can try different cam angles and go to flashprotuning.com, home of the e-dyno, and get your datalogs plotted there.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
you cannot push the skunk2 stage 2's all the way to 50. 45 at the most on a stock block. i spoke to skunk2 about this last year when i was in the process of tuning them. they said 45 at the most and 40 to play it safe. i played it safe and pushed it to a max of 40. even then i was still able to pull off 241 whp and 166 tq. i think i could've hit the 170 tq mark if i had pushed it to 45.

·
E-Tunez FTT!!!
1,941 Posts
you cannot push the skunk2 stage 2's all the way to 50. 45 at the most on a stock block. i spoke to skunk2 about this last year when i was in the process of tuning them. they said 45 at the most and 40 to play it safe. i played it safe and pushed it to a max of 40. even then i was still able to pull off 241 whp and 166 tq. i think i could've hit the 170 tq mark if i had pushed it to 45.
Good to know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome thanks man...great info. The base map I from the hondata flashpro has it set at 45 degrees max...and i'm doing well with it so you could do it too if you still have the cams. My car has been running this cams setup for about 25,000 miles. so yeah 45 degrees is safe.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
awesome thanks man...great info. The base map I from the hondata flashpro has it set at 45 degrees max...and i'm doing well with it so you could do it too if you still have the cams. My car has been running this cams setup for about 25,000 miles. so yeah 45 degrees is safe.
i sold them a long time ago. i put well over 20k miles on mine too. had them for over a year.

the primary lobes are big. i remember i had vtec coming in at 5300.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.