8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase and have installed an avic D3 within the next few weeks, except I'm just having one dilemma. I emailed Empress Audio, an audio and marine installation store that has been around since 1975 with very experience techs. I wanted to get a quote on the following below items and this is what he told me :

Pioneer Avic-D3
Bluetooth Adapter
Bluetooth Interface
Ipod Interface
Xm Tuner (factory one only works with factory radio)
Steering wheel interface
Dash kit/harness/antenna adapter
Professional Installation

$1991.87 w/ tax

Now that seems kinda steep to me..but I dunno. I went on Amazon.com and they have the Avic d3 listed at 649 through a seller in California. Now I think with that price above he must be charging me at least $899 for the Avic d3 if not the list price. I can get all those items above minus the dash peice for under $1000 on amazon. He told me he advises against buying from another source as he has seen problems with warranty and stuff..but golly I would like to save that money. So anyways...question is do you think buying off Amazon would be a smarter idea, or have any of you run into warranty problems with stuff like that?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
i would say look into circuit city/best buy and see if they can give u a better deal...i think that is WAY to much...especially when u can get the Avic like u stated for 649

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just did all what you stated to your car myself. I paid about $1050 total on my stuff. Now, keep in mind, I got my d3 for $600 of craigslist and my other stuff off ebay. I went a step further and added a Boyo backup cam. I'm taking some pics this weekend. I'll be sure to share.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I paid 1400 installed without the XM tuner and ended up cleaning up the "pros" work. Everything is straight forward and pretty much plug and play. The steering wheel control is a pain in the ass Ithough, IMHO. I've seen some installers insist that the equipement, which you brought in from an outside source, was the cause of install problems.(NOISE, ETC) In any case, i think anytime you can save a GRAND, its wise to do so. Plus, if you do have a warranty issue, with the grand in your pocket, you can just replace whatever broke, and you'll be back up and running, quicker then the 4-6 weeks for a warranty repair.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh I was thinkin bout just buyin the stuff and having my brother help me with the install. I mean...I've never really done this kinda stuff before but he is pretty familar with it..so I dunno...but yeah I definately think if I can save a grand that would be most beneficial.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
if u were installing speakers and an aftermarket amp and u would be rewiring the entire car i would say go with the pro install...otherwise do it on your own

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
buy from jr.com or newegg.com and still get pioneer warranty for sure (~$800)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I think i'm gunna go with the install on my own. From people that have installed this it's pretty simeple right? Kinda just plug and play? What's the best double din dash peice to get for the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts