8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, bought my LX sedan a couple of weeks ago. I am an old fart but always have to mod any car I own just to personalize to my tastes. I know ..... why didn't you just buy and Si..... well this is a daily driver and one that will see duty in heavy traffic and it will be driven by my wife who doesn't like to row gears in high heels. So to top it all off its an automatic.... no laughing I really like this car. Anywho after doing a quick bit of research decided I needed Si wheels/tires, Si rear sway and eventually Si front brakes to satisfy my own preferences. I picked up Si wheels from forum member Si in OC (great guy), read posts, need spacers, don't need spacers. need lugs etc. So I bought a set and ordered the spacers and lugs. Couldn't wait for them to arrive so I put the car up on stands to see if you really really need spacers. Everyone says 3mm spacers but there is no such thing as hubcentric 3mm spacers. Anyway I have some really nice ones on the way which I won't be using. I found that with some very minimal filing on the calipers they fit fine and maintain stock hub centricity. I know some of you will cry about warranty blah blah but I don't really care about that and I doubt anyone will even notice once it is painted. I used a flat file to mostly just flatten out the offending area. That was about it. Pictures below. File, finished with 200 grit and sanding block. Pics are with stock lugs ... bit long .... I have set of Si Lugs and Si locking lugs on the way. For those of you who don't want to file I will have a set of forged / anodized 3mm spacers for sale soon. I really really like the look over the plastic LX hubcaps etc.

You can to it by filing or spacer either way they look great. I personally like filing as you are really not taking off enough metal to impair the integrity of the piece in the picture. Nor is it a particularly important piece. Filing flat is about all you are doing. And you get to retain the hub centricity to insure a proper fit. Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8thgenuser said:
Good job. You really don't need to take off a whole lot. I met a guy at a meet who just let the Si wheels scrape the caliper. That worked for him. lol
Self-fitting... nice. Hopefully he is not a mechanic. Interestingly my driver side wheel actually didn't rub, so I only had a little filing to do. Passenger side required quite a bit of filing. I tried to see if that particular wheel was different but it was the caliper that was different. Fairly rough casting so no surprise.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Very nice looking. I've got an 07 LX automatic in red. I'm debating doing something similar either with Si wheels or maybe something aftermarket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LDB said:
Very nice looking. I've got an 07 LX automatic in red. I'm debating doing something similar either with Si wheels or maybe something aftermarket.
I got it 2 weeks ago and was all set to spend 2,000 on a set of BBS whees/tires then I discovered the forum. Was able to buy a set of Si wheels/tires for 400!! You can't beat that. I gave up a more unique look but I saved about 1600 and I think it look much improved over the plastic hubcaps, though they are the best looking hubcaps ever.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'll probably run what I've got till the tires need replacing and then change it all out. These covers are far better looking than most but still are covers. :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, this thread really helped. I'm planning on putting 2011 Si Wheels on my 2008 LX sedan. I think i will do a little file work, should they need it, than order and spend more money on spacers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts