8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a "bad" noise, but this being technical chat I just wondered if anyone knows exactly what device it is that makes the sound...

I'm sure everyone knows when you first turn the key to a run position without starting the car, you can hear the fuel pump, etc. all turn on/charge up. But I noticed after turning the key back to OFF, after about 3-4 seconds there's a similar noise coming from the engine bay. Definitely sounds like a small pump motor moving, almost like the sound an old pin printer makes ;)

The only things I can think that it may be are the ABS or power steering pumps cycling through for some reason. Kinda weird to have them do it on a shutdown, unless Honda figures it's better to not keeps things pressurized while the car is parked?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There's no power steering pump on Civic Si's or Hybrids, so you can rule that out.
Yes, this is on an Si. You're right that the steering is electric assist, not hydraulic.

Maybe it's still related to the steering, if those motors need to reposition themselves for some reason...

I'll try to open the hood and see what area it's coming from, the 3-4 seconds delay should give me time to turn the key then run around to the front.

-- Just tried to pinpoint the sound, but the car is getting smart, lol. It didn't do it when i turned the key off this time, but you can hear it when the key turns to the run position, although so many things happen at that point there's like 5 different noises!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.