8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
07civicex20 said:
What exactly are pulleys and how much do they enhance horsepower and will they void your warranty
Pulleys are basically lighter weight pulleys for the alternator and various shafts where your belts on the engine spin on. They basically are lighter weight like i said before and reduce the mass needed to spin them plus some are modified in sizes to make certain things to spin faster or slower. And they will perhaps give you 1-3 whp if your lucky. And yes they may void your warranty depending on what issue is tackled at your engine.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
If you get a supercharger youd get a 4'' pulley. To replace a stock pulley...I dont know the size, possibly the same as to replace the supercharger pulley?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Go to www.NonStopTuning.com and read around their website a little bit. There is a ton of good information there about pulleys. But in a nutshell, all the pulleys on your car for your crank, alternator, water pump, power steering, and everything else is made out of heavy steel. Aftermarket pulleys like the ones made by NST or UR are built out of aluminum which is about 70% lighter. Less mass hanging on the engine means the engine has to spend less hp driving the accessories.

I have the NST pulley kit on my R18 and I get better response, better gas mileage, and a better looking engine bay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts