8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore into it to correct a labor defect with the car myself rather then going through the hassle of making an appointment and the wait time etc for warranty work. I fix planes for a living, so car stuff is no big deal at all to me, so to save some time and ensure it's to my liking, I just did it myself. The back right corner of the shelf wasnt 'popped' down and was resting on the window. Noticed it cause of the vibrating during heavy bass and going over bumps, then of course it really stuck out to me after seeing that.

Anyways, in case anyone was curious...it's a pretty simple task overall, even for the not so mechanicly inclined if some caution is used. Doing it the RIGHT way is a major PITA though. There are 10 white plastic 'push pin clips' (4 across the back, 2 center, and 4 across the front), 4 spots where the shelf itself has clips built in on the edges, 4 'hooks' built onto the shelf across the front on the vertical part that the seat backs sit on, and 2 screws on that part also. What makes it a pain to do the right way is undoing the push pin clips from the back to not mess them up.....there is just really crappy access to most of em. What I suggest and is much easier is to have some spares, then carefully rip them up from their holes using the shelf itself, basicly just yank em out. You might mess a few up like that, but it's worth it.

Process:

1) release and lower the rear seat backs.
2) disconnect 3rd brake light (white/gray harness plug behind the trunk light, cant miss it)
3) remove the 2 screws (phillips)
4) push up on the front vertical part of the shelf to unhook it and pop the first row of push pins. the front side clips should pop up here also.
5) work your arms as far under the shelf as possible and pop the middle and back row of push pins.
6) feed middle seatbelt through the slot and remove the shelf.

Install pretty much in reverse, working from the back forward.

As for my corner that was sticking up, turns out it was one of the pushpins not installed correctly. They kind of hook into their respective areas on the shelf, which is then pushed into the holes on the car. At that corner, the pin wasnt hooked into the shelf, so the shelf was just sitting on the top of the head of that one. All better now. :D

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yea i did this too about a week after i got the car, it wasnt too difficult. Maybe 30 mins to do However it still rattles on mine

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'll have to look into this. I've noticed a rattle in the shelf but I was just chalking it up to cheap plactic parts. Hopefully this will fix my rattle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My rattle had to do with the wire for the brake light hanging down just low enough to touch the black bar that is just below it. I secured it and voila no more rattle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my civic rattling came from the factory subwoofer, I still havent figure out how to fix this problem, I might try removing the plastic cover and reinstalling it, and if that doesnt work, Might as well get me a new 8" sub to replace the factory subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
for those trying to fix the rattle, make sure you install the deck CORRECTLY! push the back down completely

mine doesn't rattle at all anymore even at full bass

·
Registered
146 Posts
Followed C17cheif's instruction and fixed my rear deck rattle 5 minutes ago, it was a little confusing just reading the instructions, but after I dig into it, it was pretty straight forward. Popped in the two white push pins back into the rear deck itself..no more rattle.

I even did a +6 on bass and subwoofer, and took the car to 60 mph (let the speed volume thingy kick in a bit), no rattle!

·
Registered
146 Posts
update

mine began to rattle again.....it now rattle at night, during day time when the interior is warmer the rear deck does not rattle at all....

this rattle business is driving me insane!

·
Registered
635 Posts
take it to the dealership. hey i know all about DIY but my time is important and its a 2006. Honda can waste their time not me. If enough peopel complain it'll be fixed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FigiSi06 said:
take it to the dealership. hey i know all about DIY but my time is important and its a 2006. Honda can waste their time not me. If enough peopel complain it'll be fixed.

All depends how you look at it. Yes it's brand new, a defect, and in all honosty should be them fixing it. But as you know, even the smallest thing can be a long drawn out process as far as getting an appointment, making it to the appointment, the waiting, etc. Yes, time is important, so the way I look at it, why waste half a day going through the motions for them to do it when I can do it in 5mins so long as it doesnt cost me anything. Also the whole 'if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself' thing comes into play somewhat too. :D

Anyways, just called it a mini-how to due to the lack of pictures and crystal clear instructions, so I see where it can be a little confusing if you've never looked at it. Was just meant to be some simple straight forward steps for someone who may have already looked at it a little and was unsure what to do first or what all exactly is involved. Didnt have a camera out with me at the time, and thought about spelling it out and taking pics if I ever had to pop it up again, but I havent had to and the same task is covered elsewhere in another DIY or 2 around these days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im having a hard time figuring out what to do. ive read this post over and over but as i am a newb, i still dont get it. also im pretty afraid since my EX is new and my PHUCK it up. anybody willing to post pictures or a slow step by step guide? my rattle is getting more annoying everyday. i already talked to one honda dealership but they havent called me back and that was almost a week ago!

·
Registered
11 Posts
C17chief said:
Tore into it to correct a labor defect with the car myself rather then going through the hassle of making an appointment and the wait time etc for warranty work. I fix planes for a living, so car stuff is no big deal at all to me, so to save some time and ensure it's to my liking, I just did it myself. The back right corner of the shelf wasnt 'popped' down and was resting on the window. Noticed it cause of the vibrating during heavy bass and going over bumps, then of course it really stuck out to me after seeing that.

Anyways, in case anyone was curious...it's a pretty simple task overall, even for the not so mechanicly inclined if some caution is used. Doing it the RIGHT way is a major PITA though. There are 10 white plastic 'push pin clips' (4 across the back, 2 center, and 4 across the front), 4 spots where the shelf itself has clips built in on the edges, 4 'hooks' built onto the shelf across the front on the vertical part that the seat backs sit on, and 2 screws on that part also. What makes it a pain to do the right way is undoing the push pin clips from the back to not mess them up.....there is just really crappy access to most of em. What I suggest and is much easier is to have some spares, then carefully rip them up from their holes using the shelf itself, basicly just yank em out. You might mess a few up like that, but it's worth it.

Process:

1) release and lower the rear seat backs.
2) disconnect 3rd brake light (white/gray harness plug behind the trunk light, cant miss it)
3) remove the 2 screws (phillips)
4) push up on the front vertical part of the shelf to unhook it and pop the first row of push pins. the front side clips should pop up here also.
5) work your arms as far under the shelf as possible and pop the middle and back row of push pins.
6) feed middle seatbelt through the slot and remove the shelf.

Install pretty much in reverse, working from the back forward.

As for my corner that was sticking up, turns out it was one of the pushpins not installed correctly. They kind of hook into their respective areas on the shelf, which is then pushed into the holes on the car. At that corner, the pin wasnt hooked into the shelf, so the shelf was just sitting on the top of the head of that one. All better now. :D
WHERE IS THE 3RD BREAK LIGHT??

·
Registered
594 Posts
HondaCivic06Ex said:
WHERE IS THE 3RD BREAK LIGHT??
Ummmm, maybe it's accessed thru the trunk? :rolleyes: Not to be rude but if you can't figure out how to get to your 3rd brake light, you probably shouldn't be taking out your rear shelf. I would recommend for you to RTFM before you do anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took my rear deck apart today. I did so after noticing my 3rd brake light WASN'T EVEN HOOKED UP!

I tried everything I could to fix the vibration/rattling noise cause by the subwoofer with NO SUCCESS. It's driving me insane and I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Guys This Rattle Problem Has Been Recently Tsb'ed (tchnical Service Bulletin) By Honda. You Can Now Send It To Any Honda Dealership And They Can Have A Look At It For Ya And Fix It. Im Having Mine Done Tomorrow And Will Let U Know About The Results. From What They Told Me They Are Adding Some Materials To Keep It Form Vibrating..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Please do let us know how it turns out!!

I pushed back in all the clips and the rear deck still rattles even with minimal bass setting now:mad:

HondaCivic06Ex said:
Hey Guys This Rattle Problem Has Been Recently Tsb'ed (tchnical Service Bulletin) By Honda. You Can Now Send It To Any Honda Dealership And They Can Have A Look At It For Ya And Fix It. Im Having Mine Done Tomorrow And Will Let U Know About The Results. From What They Told Me They Are Adding Some Materials To Keep It Form Vibrating..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts