8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright so it goes like this.. i was driving to school like usual, going about 4-5 over speed limit. I turned left onto a main street and saw a cop in the left turn lane on the street i was turning onto. Then took a few turns into residential streets and i was pulled over by this cop. I had no clue what i did wrong so i stopped and asked him what i was doing wrong.

The first thing he says is "why did u do what u did?" i was so confused i had no clue what the hell he was talking. I had to ask him a couple times before he actually told me i was speeding. He then commented on my exhaust and how he heard it cause i was apparently accelerating REALLY fast. I quickly told him that i dont even have an after market exhaust so it should be quiet as hell. then he said "Thats not the point." and ranted on about my car. He said i was doing 67 in a 45 zone (i was only doing 49) and i asked him to see the radar. He just took my license, went to his car and then wrote me up a citation.. and then after the citation he showed me the radar. It clearly said 67 and it was on hold, but no way in hell i was going 67, i never drive faster than 5 over the speed limit. I wasnt sure what to make of this so i just signed the ticket like he asked me to. I signed in the line where it said "Without admitting guilt, i promise to comply with the terms of this Ticket and Release". And i had to pay 95 dollars..

So i was wondering how does this ticket work out? It also says on the bottom no court appearance required. Im not sure what im supposed to do now.. if i pay the ticket does that make me guilty? He says that it shouldnt go on my record but if i pay it would it? How would i go about challenging this? can i even challenge it since he clearly showed me the 67 mph..
just some quick questions.
i just dont feel like getting a raise in my insurance since its already expensive enough.
thanks for reading it, some comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
if you were really going 49mph and not 67 mph than something is wrong....either he hates kids who drive cars like you do and maybe the reading was from another car next to you?

Im not entirely sure how proving the radar reading was from your car...but if its possible...maybe the reading was from another car recently?

·
Registered
480 Posts
:eek:hsnap:

You signed? I believe that is it at this point... You admitted and it is over! Hopefully points on the license will not heart that much!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I've actually did this to someone...felt kind of bad that i did too...

I was speeding quite a bit on a road in the fast lane (4 lane road 2 on each side) was doing like 75 in a 40 and coming up down the road was a left turn lots of trees and a honda civic about 500 ft infront of me in the slower lane.

Do to my speed I passed him right before the turn and my luck there was a cop with his red interior lights on hiding on the other side of the brush looked like he was looking at his computer and his radar gun pirched (I guess it beeps) well i blew by so fast that when he looked up he must of saw the civic passing him.

He pulls out full lights on and im like "f#@^" and instead of pulling me over he pulled the civic over who was doing under 40 mph I can't imagine the ticket he got =/

So yeah it has happened before.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek:hsnap:

You signed? I believe that is it at this point... You admitted and it is over! Hopefully points on the license will not heart that much!
yeah i signed it cause it said "without admitting guilt" in bold on it and then a signature line.. =\

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you were really going 49mph and not 67 mph than something is wrong....either he hates kids who drive cars like you do and maybe the reading was from another car next to you?

Im not entirely sure how proving the radar reading was from your car...but if its possible...maybe the reading was from another car recently?
im pretty sure it was from another car before hand cause when i turned onto the lane there wasnt anyone next to me and the cop himself was stuck in traffic in the left turn lane and didnt seem to be radaring anything =\
he just had the speed on HOLD so it oculd have been a speed he clocked earlier..=\ he just didnt lke my car, plus he commented me about my exhaust n stuff, i only have my rims painted black with a red lip =\

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Signing the ticket is not in any way an admission of guilt, and if you refuse to sign the ticket they can take you to jail.

Go to court and plead not guilty, then do whatever you need to do. The system isn't out to get you, and it does work very well.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Signing the ticket is not in any way an admission of guilt, and if you refuse to sign the ticket they can take you to jail.

Go to court and plead not guilty, then do whatever you need to do. The system isn't out to get you, and it does work very well.
^ exactly. if the system was out to get you, he would have arrested you on the spot when you started talking back about your exhaust.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Always ask in court if the radar was calibrated that day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can get a lawyer. It think that will cost you less then your speeding ticket.

In my case, I did hire a lawyer, but the cop didn't show up in courst on my court date, so my case got dismissed. I don't think I got points on your record either, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are lawyers that focus mostly on traffic tickets, and they mail you ads for how much they can get rid of your ticket.
So all I paid was $80 for the lawyer fee, instead of $400 something lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts