8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Si will come with a car alarm... but i also know that car alarms are a joke to most car theives. I was wondering what many of you people do/have to protect your car.

I currently use THE CLUB on my accord... but i heard all it takes is a little cold spray and a hammer and its gone.

My friend told me there is a kill switch thing you can install in your car. Like you have to put a certain card/key somehwere (his was in the glove compartment) and then you can start the engine. How much would that cost at the local shop?

Someone told me you can unscrew the stick shift before you leave the car (lol) Can you? and would that be effective?

Any other things I should think about investing in?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lojack? http://www.lojack.com/, not sure what the cost is. Some ins companies will give you a discount if you have Lojack though...

Also, you can remove the knob from the shifter, but I don't see how that would prevent theft.

My favorite method is the car cover that makes your car look like a POS (I think it was in a Kia/Hyundai commercial). :) j/k

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you have to worry about this sort of thing where you live, you have to remember that a "pro" will get your car no matter what you do to protect it! Most systems only discourage "casual" crime :(
If you are truly worried about the car being taken as a whole you could consider LoJack. You have to pay a monthly subscription,I think, but should get an insurance discount, these seem to work really well, if your local P.D. has the equipment.

·
Registered
518 Posts
haha lowjack is like 600 maybe 800, but
its the only thing id recomend
for 2 main reasons.
1-everything u can possibly use to prevent it being stolen, all it takes is a tow truck, and bye bye car..
2- lojack is hard to find, cuz they hide the small device in diffrent areas of every car, and all it takes is a phone call and ur car will be found in minutes...

u get a deductable on insurance for lojack

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no no i live in a very good town... almost no crimes... if anything a bike may be stolen but the next day its found... im just a paranoid college student. Lo Jack is too expensive... i was thinking somethin like the club (thought there was a better solution)

Im still waiting to hear about that kill switch thing (if anyone knows somethin about this)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just read up about lojack.... 20 places to hide the thing.... prob all are very similar.... dont u think the theives may check for it? or have something that cuts off the signal? Or am i bein too paranoid =P

and its 700 bucks for intallation.... and no monthly payments... so im thinkin about it

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
the 7thgens have a key imobilzer meaning you can't start the car without the key. Obviously someone mentioned the obvious - all it takes is a tow truck and bye bye car. But honda at least used the computer chip in the key option to help cut down on the theft rates on the 7thgens. I'm sure they stuck with it on the 2006's, but I don't have one yet to know. So, the only way someone could start the car is with your keys. You can't hotwire it or whatever. The key is needed or it won't allow the engine to start. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
518 Posts
yea like webby said, it wont be hot wired, or started so no need for a kill switch, id go with lojack if u think it will be taken though...
in my area they steal cars with tow trucks and part them within 24 hours....
the box that lojack installs is very small so they can literally hide it almost anywhere....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Imobilizer is a joke. If they wanted to they can bring their own ecu and replace theirs with yours and start the thing, but the 06 civic is still new so i dont know how many extra ecu will be around. As for LoJack last time i used it and it took about 8-10 HOURS, and the car was stripped, but they did find the car, and it was nice to know that i got it back in a couple of hours as oppose to a couple of day without it. I'm trying to do a kill switch and alph lock with auto lock. Maybe a bit over kill but i dont want my car stolen again

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I've got a boomerang on my car, but Im also looking to do a few more things...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts