8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to bleed my brakes and my buddy(boosted em2) is going to do it for me and he wants to know what the proper way is to bleed our brakes.. so if u guys have any input or links u can refer me to that would be great..

I tried searching nothing came up!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Try doing a "search," either on here or on the internet in general. There's plenty of information available.

The only thing you need to know is where to begin and where to end. Start with the front left caliper and end with the rear left. Make sure the brake master cylinder reservoir never runs dry of brake fluid. Just use DOT 3 brake fluid and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
breaks = brakes

Need two people. One pump the brake & one by the tire once you pump. Ever done a bled your clutch before? It's basically the same, except it's by your tire (will need to take tires off).
no you don't. i did it with my hood prop one day cause there was no one else at the shop. it just takes a while. or you can get a brake bleeder, that works too

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Try doing a "search," either on here or on the internet in general. There's plenty of information available.

The only thing you need to know is where to begin and where to end. Start with the front left caliper and end with the rear left. Make sure the brake master cylinder reservoir never runs dry of brake fluid. Just use DOT 3 brake fluid and call it a day.
you got it backwards, you want to start at the caliper furthest from the master cylinder(right rear). i don't know who taught you to start the nearest to the MC.

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
arent you supposed to start from the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder ? this is how i was taught and many people i know go by this method as well.

is the civic case (lx) it would be rear driver, rear passenger, front driver, front passenger.

the bleeding valves are right behind the caliper/drum.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
p. 19-10 of the 2006-2008 Civic service manual, volume 2.

NOTE:

Do not reuse the drained fluid. Use only clean Honda DOT 3 Brake Fluid from an unopened container. Using a non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and shorten the life of the system.

Make sure no dirt or other foreign matter is allowed to contaminate the brake fluid.

Do not spill brake fluid on the vehicle, it may damage the paint; if brake fluid does contact the paint, wash it off immediately with water.

The reservoir connected to the master cylinder must be at the MAX (upper) level mark at the start of the bleeding procedure, and checked after bleeding each wheel location. Add fluid as required.

Make sure the brake fluid level in the reservoir (A) is at the MAX (upper) level line (B).

Have someone slowly pump the brake pedal several times, then apply steady pressure.

Start the bleeding at the driver's side of the front brake system.

NOTE: Bleed the calipers or the wheel cylinders in the sequence shown.

Attach a length of clear drain tube (A) to the bleed screw (B), then loosen the bleed screw to allow air to escape from the system. Then tighten the bleed screw securely.

Refill the master cylinder reservoir to the MAX (upper) level line.

Repeat the procedure for each brake circuit until there are no air bubbles in the fluid.

Having said all of this, you all can do it however you want.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You're welcome.

You could order it through a Honda dealership if the parts guy is not being lazy.

Other choice would be Helms.

P/N for the 06-09 Civic 2 volume service manual set is 61SNA08.

I'd call Helm to order because their website is not updated to the newer versions yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts