8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need someones opinion here. Its been a while since ive asked anything, so please no flaming. I've just recently decided to make a project car. I'm going to go to UTI before I go to college, so I figure its the perfect opportunity. I'm not looking to buy quite yet, I still have a bit of saving to do because im finally finishing paying my parents back the rest of the 5K that i owe them for my civic :), but at the end of this year, they told me they would just let that 5K slide, and actually give me 5K to do with for this car. I want to find something that runs, just not fantastically, since I'll definately have the resources to rebuild this thing, and now actually be encouraged to do so. Heres my plan, tell me if im crazy.

Top Cars to build:
-Integra GSR
-Eclipse
-Civic EK Hatch

Top price im willing to pay for it all
-$10,000

Things Im pretty sure ill need (depends on condition)
-Engine Swap (5K max) w/tranny
-Body (5K max)

Am i completely nuts thinking i can do this with this stuff? I'll have the tools, and the people to help me out, and the desire to do it, and I wont have to pay for install.

Anyone have a suggestion? Anything?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
MR2 Turbo. I've also read about people doing v6 swaps into the MR2 as well so you could look into doing that. Or you could try building up a CRX.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea ive thought of the CRX. Never really the MR2 however, interesting you would say that however, I would definately look into that. I need something that is pretty quick and for reasonible price, i dont care about a bit of work. Ill go look into the MR2 a while, thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
no problem, be sure to keep us posted i like looking at build threads and seeing the amazing end product.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Find a beat up Elise and throw in a S/C'd K20 :thumb:

On a more practical note, it comes down to how good a deal you find on a car in decent condition before you start worrying about swaps etc.

Have you considered a Silvia S13? Or if you find a good price maybe a 300ZX?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just realized that the 80's models were really ugly as **** lol. I really like the 93-97 models, about how much am i lookin at here though for even a really used one?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If mine were to turn out like this, in this kind of model, then i would be ecstatic, i think its a 93 or so...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
wow that looks badass

·
Registered
16 Posts
there is a emaculate (sp?) MR2 down in Ephrata PA... You can buy just the body (looks like it rolled off the lot yesterday) and 2 motors for 3800

1. 2.0 turbo : good but the cams dug into the head so the seats need machined

2. 2.2 non turbo : ready to drop in but need to get another computer since it came with the turbo

let me know ill take you to see the guy if you have cash in hand

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there is a emaculate (sp?) MR2 down in Ephrata PA... You can buy just the body (looks like it rolled off the lot yesterday) and 2 motors for 3800

1. 2.0 turbo : good but the cams dug into the head so the seats need machined

2. 2.2 non turbo : ready to drop in but need to get another computer since it came with the turbo

let me know ill take you to see the guy if you have cash in hand
I got the cash, I really need to buy the civic first i think tho :( i would def like to take a look at it. its in Ephrata u say? thats not that far away

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cant decide now between a GSR and an MR2... I cant figure out which i like better....

OR

Damn i hate/love making difficult descisions. I think im leaning toward the MR2 now, its ***** sexy and sporty as **** :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'd go del sol.... You going for track or auto x or drift??? Miatas are nice too, you can get into 300 hp for like 7k with a kit and a car, they weigh nothing..

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
eg hatch...u can drop an si motor and tranny.....turbo....and slight body work but keep it stock...do a bunch of suspension....and bam...u got a beast on ur hands...thats wut ive been helpin my neighbor do...he got a 93 hatch...got a junkyard si motor and tranny k20z3 dropped it in...turbo...lots of suspension ( tie bars springs etc) and corrected a couple dings in the car....and holy ****...he hit the gas pedal two days after the tune and i couldnt breath!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Find a beat up Elise and throw in a S/C'd K20 :thumb:

On a more practical note, it comes down to how good a deal you find on a car in decent condition before you start worrying about swaps etc.

Have you considered a Silvia S13? Or if you find a good price maybe a 300ZX?
Um there are no Silvia S13 in US.. Thats only in Japan unless you mean the s13 coupes.. I prefer the fastback bc they look a lot better imo, thats just me though

Anyways CRX shells n such I have seen go for 300 rust free. You just need to brg your own wheels n trailer. S13 shells I have seen for 700 including wheels.. Why not just buy a CRX shell n build a junkyard frankenstein?? My neighbor runs 11's on his EG k24 swap and he pretty much built it with around 6,000 (now he runs 10s with higher compression+spray).. Now if you buy all the parts from say import sites, that would cost like 15000.. The ecu I'd say was the most expensive part for the k24..

I personally would go s13 shell n either swap a vk45de with vh internals. Thats a v8 right there with like 330 hp and just a lil bit of modifications makes it a beast. It just throws the balance a bit off but it kinda looks like u making a drag car?? Or keep the ka24de in the s13 and turbo it. Ivan at ka-t.org had a 9 second ka24de.. If not, still throw a t25 or something similar and all for about 4000 you can have a 260hp/2500lbs car. And as you get used to power, upgrade it with all the money you saved. I suggest buying suspension n tires first and getting used to it..

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I hope this isn't another BS thread, no I honestly hope it isn't. Not to put you on blast or anything, but still. I'd go with the MR2. Looks like a solid investment, and it looks hella nice, if maintained regularly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts