8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Progressive as in the adjective, not the company =P

I have the HFP suspension setup, but I'm fairly dissatisfied with the drop; I'm pretty annoyed that I can still stick 2+ fingers into the front fender gap.

Anyhow I'm seriously considering swapping the springs out (keep the shocks in) for more drops, but I want to make sure that I keep a similar spring rate. However, all the springs I see available out there are progressive springs, with the exception of the linear springs offered by the company Progressive (confusing ain't it =P)

So I was wondering: when a progressive spring rate says it's 100-250lbs, do you EVER feel the 100 lbs when driving? because if you can then it must feel super shitty; the car would be crazily overdamped. Or is the low end of the spring rates all eliminated with the car's weight and preload? Is it reasonable to assume the progressive springs to be semi linear?

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not a fan of progressive rate springs, there's less predictability. Basically, they provide a decent ride for street cars and people who aren't really going to drive their car very hard.

But to answer your question, that super low rate to begin with would be compressed very easily, I can't imagine it being relevant though most of the travel. Some progressive springs actually have the first set of coils totally compressed when the car is sitting static, and they're only to keep the spring from coming unseated during droop.

·
Registered
665 Posts
yeah 100 lbs def seems pretty soft lol.. i would assume thats the rate required to preload them with the weight of the car, yes. or you may experience that spring rate as the suspension expands. for instance when you take a hard corner, it may use that spring rate just to make sure the inside tire gets enough contact to keep from spinning due to the decreased weight at that corner.

im in the same boat as you though.. i love my hfp kit but am somewhat dissatisfied with the lack of drop it provides. if i were you, id do the same thing im about to do.. upgrade to the redshift koni/eibach package

-RWC8THC

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah 100 lbs def seems pretty soft lol.. i would assume thats the rate required to preload them with the weight of the car, yes. or you may experience that spring rate as the suspension expands. for instance when you take a hard corner, it may use that spring rate just to make sure the inside tire gets enough contact to keep from spinning due to the decreased weight at that corner.

im in the same boat as you though.. i love my hfp kit but am somewhat dissatisfied with the lack of drop it provides. if i were you, id do the same thing im about to do.. upgrade to the redshift koni/eibach package

-RWC8THC
Nice nice, let me know how it goes.

May I ask how did you come about deciding to use koni/eibach? Their max spring rate is 222/262, and are only 20-30lbs stiffer than stock. My impression was that the HFP springs are much stiffer than that. Would there be a risk of you overdamping your car as a result?

I'll follow suit if you've got a positive review from it :)

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Nice nice, let me know how it goes.

May I ask how did you come about deciding to use koni/eibach? Their max spring rate is 222/262, and are only 20-30lbs stiffer than stock. My impression was that the HFP springs are much stiffer than that. Would there be a risk of you overdamping your car as a result?

I'll follow suit if you've got a positive review from it :)
I am not totally sure, but i can only assume that "rwc" is going to use Redshift/ Koni coilover conversion, where they use Eibach coilover 2.5" I.D. linear rate springs. Pretty much end-user can decide what rates they want.

If not, the Koni shocks/ struts should handle the prokit or sportline very well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not totally sure, but i can only assume that "rwc" is going to use Redshit/ Koni coilover conversion, where they use Eibach coilover 2.5" I.D. linear rate springs. Pretty much end-user can decide what rates they want.

If not, the Koni shocks/ struts should handle the prokit or sportline very well.
ahh ok I misunderstood, dang

Redshit lol

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Redshift offers their Koni set-up with either coilover conversion with height adjustable witht he use of any spring rate that you request that is available.

Their other one is their Koni shocks/ struts with Eibach OE style drop springs; Prokit or Sportline. The damping of the Koni should control the progressive spring rates of the OE style drop springs very well for those that do not want height adjustable.

·
Registered
665 Posts
toeknee are those 220/262 rates you gave for the prokit or sportline?

i dont plan on going with the custom coilovers, i will prob be using the traditional style spring/strut assembly. not sure if it will be the prokit or sportline, but most likely the prokit. ive seen pics of the drop and it looks great, slightly lower than my hfp suspension.

but its something im going to have to look more into and hopefully go over it with someone more knowledgable. ill prob just go with whatever spring matches up better with the konis. the sportline is a pretty crazy drop from what ive seen, but if it matches up better with the koni valving i will go with it. i want something that can perform first, look good second. but either way i cant lose, because both springs offer more of a drop than my hfp(which is really my main goal), and the setup will still handle well(dunno if as good as my hfp but ive heard good reviews). but this may not be for another month or two until i decide to do it. just shelled out some decent cash for my wheels and im not looking to dump another 1k so soon. so dont wait up for me :wavey:

*edit* actually tho.. its not that im opposed to going with the coilovers. i just know very little about spring rates and the right ones to use. besides in the times i did have coilovers on my cars i always just set them at my preferred height and kept it there permanently (which consequently was always pretty close to that achieved by a regular spring/strut setup anyway). if redshift can provide a strong arguement in their favor i may decide to go with em. who knows! decisions decisions..

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Prokit: 137-222 lbs/in (F) / 143-262 lbs/in (R)
Sportline: 125-222 lbs/in (F) / 131-262 lbs/in (R)

They are fairly close, so I think it will come down to what height you prefer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts