8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night some of my gears started acting up a bit. I noticed in another thread, someone else had trouble with 1st, 3rd, and 5th. I have the opposite. Problems are with 2nd, 4th, and 6th. (and reverse)

At first, 4th gear wouldn't always engage at high RPM. It would grind and not feel like it's all the way in. I haven't tested this since.

All of the downward gears feel 'empty' when I shift into them. It doesn't feel like it's actually in the gear, but in fact is (most of the time)

For the most part, The car still drives ok, except for a bit of grinding.

Right now, 2nd is the worst. If I am at a stop, push in the clutch and engage 1st, shift to 2nd (while still stopped and clutch depressed) I slowly let the clutch out, and 2nd gear makes a quick grind and pops out.

While actually moving, 1st to 2nd shift is fine (except for the empty feeling) over 3000rpm all the way to 8200rpm.

If I'm just casually cruising along, 1st to 2nd gear shift will either grind, pop out, or not actually engage around 3000rpm and below.

I quickly checked the cables visually underhood and console, and everything seems ok (not ruling it out completely yet)

What else could cause this? Syncros? Bent fork? Clutch?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I may be ok as far as my warranty goes, but I do have a Comptech Supercharger installed. Car is a 2006 Civic Si

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I experience all of which you have noted above. This is beginning to get out of control. Honda needs to do something! Hope something comes fast, or my civic is gone.

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the whole shifter assembly in the car.

This is a 07 LX thou.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the whole shifter assembly in the car.

This is a 07 LX thou.
Hmm... Do you know exactly what was wrong with it? Nothing looks out of place.

:eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
checked your tranny fluid bro? when i swapped the clutch in mine, i didnt put enough fluid back in and it popped outta gear and shifted like sh*t every chance it got. i filled er up, and it was like new again

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
Hmm... Do you know exactly what was wrong with it? Nothing looks out of place.

:eek:hnoes:
Nothing looked outta place when I looked at it. I took it to the dealer and thats when they said...warranty covered the repairs.

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
Do you have the cable bushings? Its your shift cables that have gone bad. One guy said he shifts real hard and made his cable stretched. Do you slam the gears down when you shift? The cables cost about 130 dollars. I did mine myself and took me about 4 hours with breaks and not knowing what to do.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Sounds like a bound cable or a worn/bent fork to me :(

Clutch would usually give you the most trouble in first and reverse.

Since it doesn't engage when you're stopped it shouldn't be a synchro... I vote cable or fork.

Do you drive with your hand resting on the shifter all the time?

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Since you have a Comptech short shifter, check to make sure that it's seated COMPLETELY. I had this problem for about 10 mins during the install before I realized that it was that because of the new location of the pivot point, it was hitting the shifter base and preventing me from getting all the way into the bottom gears.
Some other people have mentioned this problem as well.

*EDIT* You might want to check this first before dismantling anything major since this is relatively easy to check.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Your shift cable is bad. the little plastic piece that goes around the cable isn't sliding into place properly. Take it in and it will be under warrenty. If you have the TWM bushings, honda has still replaced the cable for free, but they put original bushings back on and toss your aftermarket bushings.

·
Registered
609 Posts
yeah if u changed ur bushings, u most likely broke the tip of the cable. i had the same problem. change ur cable thats the problem 100%.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i broke my shifter cables putting the corsport cable bushings on and they worked fine for a couple months then they started acting up, same issue as you, its just the lower gears.
i can almost say im 100% sure that is your problem, it is probly the bushing/cable that lays flat and it usually does it when driving agressive but it will get worse.
if your going to fix this your self get the cables from honda, be careful not to break them when replacing them and try to get a rack for a night cause it is a pain the ass to run under the car and into the car, i would take the center console out if i had to do it again. good luck with the install cause its a ***** and make sure they are perfect cause it wont shift right if they are crossed at all.
i came to the conclusion that this is why so many people get grinding in 2nd gear because the motor is bucking so much at high rpms. i wonder if people with the etd still have grinding issues

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have the cable bushings? Its your shift cables that have gone bad. One guy said he shifts real hard and made his cable stretched. Do you slam the gears down when you shift? The cables cost about 130 dollars. I did mine myself and took me about 4 hours with breaks and not knowing what to do.
I do have the first gen CorSport bushings. And I do shift VERY hard sometimes, because I shift VERY fast (I don't let off the throttle when I shift when I race supras and high hp STi's lol)

So if they are stretched, is there a way to tell by looking at anything?

I don't want to order cables if it's something more, but I thought all along it had to be cables, because it's ONLY on the downward gears, and it only started after powershifting to 4th at revlimiter...:eek:mg:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to talk to the dealership on tuesday. I want to find out if they cover it with the S/C :thumb:

But it's making more and more sense now that I think about it.

Also, I installed an Ingalls powerstick last night, and it popped out less... Maybe now that the motor can't really move it's helping.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Cables were the first thing I looked at, but I didn't look hard enough :p

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
i broke my shifter cables putting the corsport cable bushings on and they worked fine for a couple months then they started acting up, same issue as you, its just the lower gears.
i can almost say im 100% sure that is your problem, it is probly the bushing/cable that lays flat and it usually does it when driving agressive but it will get worse.
if your going to fix this your self get the cables from honda, be careful not to break them when replacing them and try to get a rack for a night cause it is a pain the ass to run under the car and into the car, i would take the center console out if i had to do it again. good luck with the install cause its a ***** and make sure they are perfect cause it wont shift right if they are crossed at all.

("i came to the conclusion that this is why so many people get grinding in 2nd gear because the motor is bucking so much at high rpms. i wonder if people with the etd still have grinding issues")
that what im experiencing right now. i just did my brushing a week ago. now im getting grind on 2nd at 8k shift and the car is bucking alot now at high RPM shift also. i don't shift very hard but that just mean i'll probably get a couple more month longer then you till it go out. damn that suck! BTW the dealer will replace it for you if you bring it in but let them know in advance because the whole thing might be back order then it going to take longer on the part.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts