8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. here is what i have encountered... for all MT Civics.. try and tell me what happens please cuz i really want to know if this is just my car.. or it's how it is...

At neutral.. I tried to step on ma pedal a bit.. to rev up the engine.. and if i release my pedal fast enough.. the RPM says it rises to 3000.. and then it will drop down to 1k.. and bounces back up again... I have no idea why it's like that.. since the engine should have a very uniform decel/accel interms of the RPM... like going up to 3k.. then stays at 3k for a sec... and slowly drops back down... I do know that japanese cars tend to have a lighter flywheel... so it drops and rises very quickly.. but it doesn't solve why it bounces up and down.... Anyone got an answer... and for MT drivers out there.. could you give it a test and see what it does on your car? just step on pedal and release very quickly.. u should see what i mean when it bounces up and down.. thx =)

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I'm not honestly sure I understand.

and if i release my pedal fast enough.. the RPM says it rises to 3000.. and then it will drop down to 1k.. and bounces back up again... I have no idea why it's like that
release the clutch pedal - or gas pedal fast? I'm guessing you mean gas pedal. If you take your foot OFF the gas pedal and it goes up to 3k, something is wrong.

Or are you just saying you think it's going up and down too fast?

·
Registered
14 Posts
no he's saying ...
when pressing the gas with the car in neutral and reving the engine to 3000 RPM's, upon release of the gas the RPM's go down to 1000 (as they should) but once they hit 1000 it seems to bounce back up without touching the gas again.
the RPM's bouncing back up seems to be his concern
I don't have an answer for it myself I just thought I'd try to clarify his question

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea.. heres the problem... Say I rev it up to 3k RPM.. and release my GAS pedal ( just to clarify hehe) it drops back down... at a incredibly fast rate.. (Which I believe shouldn't be that way since it should have a uniform decrease/increase, even for jap cars with lighter flywheel it should still be uniform.. just faster) and then it will bounces back up to around 1.5k and drop back down... And after the first release of my pedal I NEVER touched the gas pedal again.. that seems to be my concern on why its like that... I thought it could be the DBW throttle thing but it couldn't be since I drove a car before with it and it had a very uniform decrease/increase in RPM when I do the same thing ( though it has a much heavier flywheel ) so i really want to know if anyone has any solutions or encountering the same problem... Car drives fine and its great, just wondering if this is how it should be... thanks

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I understand it better now. I guess a question for the other peeps on here that have the new civic - what rpm does your car idle at? Does it sit around 1k? It could be the DBW that is causing this, but it wouldn't hurt to demonstrate this at the honda dealer and see what they say. Can anyone else on here do this on their car and see if it does the same thing as what Zorq is doing?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
yeah my red airbag light is always coming on and off - i'm going to have this fixed.. once i find its nothing faulty. I wish I never sold my scanner and buying a Honda HDS system is just way to expensive!

as far as the engine revving back up, its normal for cars to do that. But 1.5k seems kind of high.. Usually if the car has a small vacumn leak, you rev the rpms up, it'll go down below normal idle rpm, then rise back up a tad to keep the engine from stalling. Its built into the ECU. I'm sure even w/o a vacumn leak it would do the same to prevent this. Its really noticeable on the 95-99 eclipse turbo models - and probably the same on other turbo vehicles as well but I have no life experience with them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
the red airbag light keeps coming on and off.
Mine did this once when I turned the car on in the driveway a couple of weeks ago... I thought it was because I might have sat in the seat a little crooked (I was kind of turned in the seat looking at my child in the back) while the system was doing its system check. So I just shut the car off, made sure I was seated properly, and restarted. No light since.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
35 Posts
RPM bounce

Zorq said:
At neutral.. I tried to step on ma pedal a bit.. to rev up the engine.. and if i release my pedal fast enough.. the RPM says it rises to 3000.. and then it will drop down to 1k.. and bounces back up again... I have no idea why it's like that.. since the engine should have a very uniform decel/accel interms of the RPM... like going up to 3k.. then stays at 3k for a sec... and slowly drops back down =)
My '06 EX M/T doesn't do this. Rev'd to 3000 (or any other reading), let go of pedal, rpm's drop quickly to 1000, stop for a slit second then slowly drop to idle just under 1000.

After about 2300 miles I've also never heard any knocking either.

Built in Alliston, Ont, Canada. M/T tranny built in Japan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts