8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a rock chip about 5/16ths" diameter on my front bumper. so I got some touch paint from the local Honda dealer. the rock gashed the bumper leaving ragged paint edges. I worked the edges down with some 800, 1000, 2000 grit paper, cleaned it and applied the paint. let it dry a couple of days and sanded it lightly down to even it out. the problem is the touch up paint turns darker when sanded or lightly buffed with a sponge pad and compound. I tried mixing a little clear coat into the paint, but get the same results. I have taken the paint off and reapplied it many times, hoping to get a perfect "blob" of paint over the spot, but to no avail. I even tried the mother's paint chip kit with the langka compound and get the same results.

anyone else have this problem or can offer a solution????

I have thought of masking the area off, and air brushing a small amount of paint on. I'll have to look locally for an airbrush "gun". I have an air compressor and 2 regular spray paint guns, but I know from previous use that they will not lay down a very small amount of paint. And I will have to go buy a lot of additional paint to get them to work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the touch paint is the real deal, Honda issue, NH700M. and I have shaken the paint for several minutes before applying. if this was not a metallic paint I don't think I would have this problem. I have touched up a lot chips in my time and can usually get the paint to flow into a chip so that's it's not noticeable. I was just out in the garage looking at it again. thought may be if I took the bumper off and got it horizontal instead of vertical, I might have a better chance. at this point, I have concluded that a perfect blob or amount of paint is neccesary, because any sanding or buffing just turns the paint dark.

I am probably being too picky, but I really like my 06 Ex coupe. it is also frustrating because I have seen rock chips "disappear" with the right work, and have done a few myself. metallic paint is hard to work with.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
yep, it's not unusual to get those results, unfortunately. not only is it
hard to match the base color, the position of the metallic particles need to
sit in the same position/angle inorder to blend in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts