8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i wanna drop my car on progress springs but i can't afford an alignment right now. do i HAVE to get an alignment or are my tires gonna suffer?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
hey guys i wanna drop my car on progress springs but i can't afford an alignment right now. do i HAVE to get an alignment or are my tires gonna suffer?
your gonna need an alignment after any drop or your tires will suffer and your car might handle kind of odd and also a camber kit.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
to elaborate...

You will need an alignment on the car. I know you have heard this forever about Hondas and you will hear people tell you they did not get one and they are fine. Older Civics (before the 2001 year) had upper and lower control arms with an independent suspension. Taking the shocks and springs off of the car did not effect the alignment so a person could swap springs and be left with only negative camber from the lowering. The front of the car would look like this: / \

No matter what ANYBODY SAYS... this DOES NOT apply to Mcpherson strut. Once you remove the struts on our Civics, you have removed the major suspension pieces from the car. When you put them back on, you will be left with a "****-eyed" camber. The front of the car could look like / / or \ \ or / |... you get the idea. The multilink in the rear should help maintain the alignemtn in the rear.

You do not HAVE to get a camber kit. You will have some negative camber from the lowering, and this will cause a little more tire wear. Rotate your tires often and you will be fine. It is not CAMBER that tears tires up fast... TOE tears tires up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i dropped mines on progress springs
guy told me i dint need an alignment (at the shop)
i got one anywayz but i got oem alignement (which i regret)
umm i suffer from very LITTLE camber

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had the Progress springs for over a year 20k + and have yet to encounter any issues. I checked the alignment myself afterwards and it was still in the range Honda allows to be O.K.

:eek:hsnap:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well ended up dropping it without an alignment and a camber kit its not as bad as alot people have been saying. alignment still within spec pretty much just like above post said and the camber is off in the rear but not like anything super major

1 - 8 of 8 Posts