8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Pricing for a Civic Si with peeling clearcoat?

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Frvzno 
#1 · (Edited)
Car in question - black 2010 Civic Si coupe with 118k miles. all stock except for a cold air intake

I'd link it but I can't since my account is new. If you want to see it, it's owned by Mr Auto Sales in Eastlake, Ohio.

The car looks fine, mileage isn't too high, and the price is $1k under KBB fair purchase price. Then I found out the clearcoat is pretty much destroyed on the roof.

So my question would be is their asking price of $1k below KBB fair or should I lowball and just move on if they won't budge?

Thanks. Sorry about the newbie question. Don't really know the SI market well. Kind of a Miata guy if you can't tell by my username lol.

Edit: The salesman sent me some pictures and it has a tiny dent on one of the fenders that has a tiny spot of rust(about the size of an aux jack). Looks like it got struck by a piece of debris or something on the highway

#3 ·
All North American civics from 2006-2011 (8th generation) are affected by clear coat failure. It is a recall. Especially darker colours like Black nighthawk pearl, and crystal black pearl, fiji blue pearl are all pretty much done in terms of clear coat.

Im currently looking for an si and only will accept Taffeta White or Alabaster silver. However, you can buy the car and eventually paint every panel that gives up on you, repainting it all will start at 2000+ for a decent paint job. Keep that in mind when factoring the price and definitely low ball the dealer as paint is one of the most expensive things on a car... dents can be pulled off $100 a dent but paint is much more expensive.

Keep in mind that the black colours are affected the worst and 100% guaranteed to get clear coat failure on the roof, trunk, hood and fenders.

Just yesterday I test drove a 2011 Crystal black pearl Coupe with 123k miles, paint is in pretty rough shape on the darker colours man.

#4 ·
I have been looking for an FA5 Sedan ever since I lost my FG2 Coupe. I've mainly been looking for Taffeta White or Dyno Blue Pearl. I would've loved a Fiji Blue Pearl 09+ Sedan but they discontinued that awesome color. Most of the lower priced sedans are 100k+ with paint issues and are usually in the 4k-6k range. So if the cars you are looking at are within this range, I'd say it's worth it, contingent on there not being a bunch of other problems and insane dealer markup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.