8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just realised that my baby is growing up on me :sadface: Im starting to put some miles on her and it looks like I might have to check into some preventive maintenance soon. I have roughly 20k on the car now and I have a list of the following that I have done / am going to do:

Change oil + filter every 3k (roughly)
Rotate tires every 15k
Change air filter every 25k
Change Transmission fluid every 25k
Change coolant every 50k
Change brake fluid / pads every 50k

Now for some of you guys that have a ton of miles - Have you guys done your preventive maintenance based on # of miles or do you just do things when necessary?
(haters/flamers welcome!)

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
Don't have a ton(30K) but here are some things alot of DIY type people miss.

Check brake caliper seals
Grease all hinges and places that require it
Change cabin air filters
Check all seat belts for servicability(cuts,frays fading due to U.V exposure)
Cable tension(transmission and throttle[older cars])
Alignment
Brake rotors

These are just a few I've noticed on alot of older cars.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Yeah Im going to do all of that stuff. I just got a lifetime alignment at a shop near my place so that is taken care of. Thats about the only thing I cant do myself in my garage

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
Radiator fluid is good for 100k.
Oil changes can go to 5k.
Rotate tires every 5k.
Air filter is about 10k-15k.
Tranny fluid is 30k.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So I just realised that my baby is growing up on me :sadface: Im starting to put some miles on her and it looks like I might have to check into some preventive maintenance soon. I have roughly 20k on the car now and I have a list of the following that I have done / am going to do:

Change oil + filter every 3k (roughly)
Rotate tires every 15k
Change air filter every 25k
Change Transmission fluid every 25k
Change coolant every 50k
Change brake fluid / pads every 50k

Now for some of you guys that have a ton of miles - Have you guys done your preventive maintenance based on # of miles or do you just do things when necessary?
(haters/flamers welcome!)
I would say follow maintenance minder for oil (~5-6k)
Rotate tires every oil change or every other oil change if you are lazy
Air Filter every 15k
Transmission Fluid every 15k if you have an Si, 25k if you have an R18
Coolant somewhere between 50-100k (honda rates it for 100k, but that seems really long)
Brake Pads when ever they wear out and fluid every 50k or so.

Those are just my suggestions.

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
I havent done any preventive maintenance besides oil changes for over 80k miles. I bet you Ill beat you at the track. haha

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Radiator fluid is good for 100k.
Oil changes can go to 5k.
Rotate tires every 5k.
Air filter is about 10k-15k.
Tranny fluid is 30k.
I would say follow maintenance minder for oil (~5-6k)
Rotate tires every oil change or every other oil change if you are lazy
Air Filter every 15k
Transmission Fluid every 15k if you have an Si, 25k if you have an R18
Coolant somewhere between 50-100k (honda rates it for 100k, but that seems really long)
Brake Pads when ever they wear out and fluid every 50k or so.

Those are just my suggestions.
Having been a Honda tech and working on cars for quite sometime now, I agree with whats been said but I'd like to add something.

Oil change - I follow the MM but I use synth and wouldn't go 6.5K on regular oil. Just my opinion.
Air filter - change every 10K or so but I would pull it out and tap on it to get any lose dirt, bugs, leafs and whatever else gets in there outta there. Mileage suffers with a clogged filter.
Rotate tires - every 7K or so.
Brake pads - checked every tire rotating and changed whenever needed. Some last 100K others are gone @ 30K (depending on how you drive)
Tranny fluid - every 60K for auto - sooner for Manual tranny. (I change every 15K in my Si due to the crappy synco's)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its great to hear from an actual honda technician. Would milage till changing the air filter be any different for my CAI + hydroshield?

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
I had an Injen CAI w/ hydroshield on my Si but ran it without the shield for a 1,000 miles and it got pretty dirt with dirt, leafs and other crap. I cleaned it and installed the shield. It kept the filter clean for the most part. I say you check it every few thousand miles and see how its doin. I kept mine on for 10K and then cleaned it and sold the CAI. The filter looked clean but the water after cleaning it wasn't.

The fact that the filter sits in front of the bumper and gets hit by all the dirt and debris, it will get dirty pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
as far as coolant is concerned, i would just play it safe and have the coolant flushed every 5 years or so along with all of the hoses including the heater hoses. it says the coolant is good for 100k, but the hoses i doubt will last that long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What about those guys who drive 4000/year? Are some of those things time based too? My dealer recommended I do my oil change every 3k miles or 3 months. 3 months are almost over from my last oil change and I've only put 400 miles...

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
What about those guys who drive 4000/year? Are some of those things time based too? My dealer recommended I do my oil change every 3k miles or 3 months. 3 months are almost over from my last oil change and I've only put 400 miles...
What kind of oil are you using?
Was it the Honda dealer that recommended the 3K OCI for your car?
Oil does age and does start breaking down over time. Most car storage guides recommend changing the oil before storing the car (3 or more months) and then changing the oil right after it comes out of storage. Doing this, the fresh oil prevents any corrosion inside the engine during storage, and even though the oil has 0 miles on it, the chemicals in it break down and the oil loses the ability to protect the engine.

If you're putting so little miles on the car, i would suggest you change the oil every 6 months, but it depends on what type of oil you're using. A good synth will be good for up to a year.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
as far as coolant is concerned, i would just play it safe and have the coolant flushed every 5 years or so along with all of the hoses including the heater hoses. it says the coolant is good for 100k, but the hoses i doubt will last that long.
There's no need to replace the rubber hoses if they show no sign of wear. My 98 Camry has 170K on it, the coolant has been changed over 3 times now (11 year old car) and all my hoses are in good shape. I've worked on older cars (15 year old Accord with old 88K on it and one of the hoses was really to blow due to it starting to cracking. Rubber goes bad due to age, not the amount of miles.

5 year coolant change sounds good, as long as it stays under 100K, per Honda's recommendations.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
yeah thats what i meant. does anyone know the replacement interval for the thermostat in these cars? i always assumed one should replace the radiator hoses when one flushes the cooling system to avoid having to do double work should they need to be replaced later.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What kind of oil are you using?
Was it the Honda dealer that recommended the 3K OCI for your car?
Oil does age and does start breaking down over time. Most car storage guides recommend changing the oil before storing the car (3 or more months) and then changing the oil right after it comes out of storage. Doing this, the fresh oil prevents any corrosion inside the engine during storage, and even though the oil has 0 miles on it, the chemicals in it break down and the oil loses the ability to protect the engine.

If you're putting so little miles on the car, i would suggest you change the oil every 6 months, but it depends on what type of oil you're using. A good synth will be good for up to a year.
Thanks for the reply. This is a brand new 08 Si. It has about 3600 miles at the moment. first and only oil change done around 3200 in Nov 08. This car is not garage kept (dont have a garage) so its been under the elements the whole time since I've bought it. I use the car on the weekends but only to hang out/shopping/etc. I'm worried about following the maintenance based on mileage as you can see I don't put much on. But it is under the sun/snow/rain/etc.; so I'm afraid the weather could be causing corrosion and such.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I change my oil every 5k miles, rotate tires every 10k miles.

For everything else I do 30k maintenance which involves everything mentioned above. Air filter every 15k for me. Spark plugs need to be changed at 120k. Radiator fluid will last 100k. Tranny fluid will last 60k. the major maint is 90k - waterpump, timing chain, belts, etc + all other 30k tune ups...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts