8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had a scheduled appointment at my local honda dealer (Sheehy Honda) to get my trans fluid changed out under warranty (due to 3rd gear problem coming back). I had'nt been to that one before and this would be the 2nd time getting it changed out. I dont have the means to leave my car with them for a week for them to take the trans apart and diagnose it. And the last dealer I took it to changed mine out with no question. And I know I can change it myself with royal purple or another like fluid but I want this to be documented by Honda and when the problem comes up later it wont look like nothing was mentioned about it. I also know changing it out only prolongs the problem but I figured I could change it until I did have the means to leave it with them.

So whats the problem?

They said they couldnt just change it out without charging me, unless they have time to diagnose it. I'm not gonna pay for Honda's mistake.

So the manager comes out and I explain the prob. I tell him that there are even some honda documents that mention trans problems on some of their cars. He checks for like 15 min's with me just waiting there.

While waiting one of the girls working there calls a friend or employee. that has an Fg2. I can over hear her asking him about if he's had or heard about the problem. From her responce "so it started to happen gradualy" I could tell he said heck yeah i've had this problem.

So she tells the manager while he's still looking for Honda news and guess what, they don't say anything to me about it.

That's what pisses me off.

So now I have no fixed third and it pops out every day at random. :chill:

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
well man i've heard a lot about that third gear stuff on these boards and all i can tell you is that i don't have a problem with it. my advice to you would be to shift more confidently into third, maybe use your palm. if you drag race i think you'll find that second gear is a bigger problem than third in that you need to pause before the shift... third should shift in everytime if you do it solid... that's all i can tell ya, sorry!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MBK said:
well man i've heard a lot about that third gear stuff on these boards and all i can tell you is that i don't have a problem with it. my advice to you would be to shift more confidently into third, maybe use your palm. if you drag race i think you'll find that second gear is a bigger problem than third in that you need to pause before the shift... third should shift in everytime if you do it solid... that's all i can tell ya, sorry!

Yeah I have that second gear prob too. Not that big a deal to me, but thats what I said when I first discoverd 3rd. It makes the works sound , the worst.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
MBK said:
It didn't matter how confident I was. Sometimes it'd take almost full force to put it in gear, to the point where I thought it either was already in gear... until it grinded

·
Registered
142 Posts
So i guess i have this issue also. Almost always when first driving (when it's cold). Just make sure you are in third, it seems like there are two clicks to get it in there when it's acting goofy. It usually is gone by the 5th 3rd gear shift or so. However i wonder if cold weather will make it stick around longer..

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aki said:
It didn't matter how confident I was. Sometimes it'd take almost full force to put it in gear, to the point where I thought it either was already in gear... until it grinded
What did u do? I mean is it fixed now?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
i dont think honda likes its dealerships pulling apart transmissions
the one i worked at would only swap them not pull them apart

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
firstsi said:

Would you say that its a bad Idea to have them take it apart. Thats what I want to avoid is having someone screw my car up. If it comes to it I will take to to Ourisman Honda where I got it. They claim to be the Honda dealership that services the most Hondas in the country.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
perfect-clone said:
What did u do? I mean is it fixed now?
I kept having them drive it until they could catch the problem. The resident tech who knew most about transmissions took my car home to commute to work--twice. Finally they caught the gear grind, fixed my 3rd gear syncro under warranty. Problem hasn't cropped up since.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
firstsi said:
thats because honda employs techs who replace parts not mechanics who repair them. everything is replaced
perfect-clone said:
Would you say that its a bad Idea to have them take it apart. Thats what I want to avoid is having someone screw my car up. If it comes to it I will take to to Ourisman Honda where I got it. They claim to be the Honda dealership that services the most Hondas in the country.
in virginia?:rotfl:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HONDACARE said:
thats because honda employs techs who replace parts not mechanics who repair them. everything is replaced

Its in Maryland, dunno if that makes it any better.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
HONDACARE said:

for the most part yeah but really its because dealerships get paid so much per warranty job so they can only make money by getting it done quickly
they dealership i worked at one tech had a masters degree and was top in the country

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sheehy is next door to where I work, they are just all around a horrible dealership in my dealings with them. There parts dept doesnt know shite from shinola, at least the parts people i've spoke with.

·
Registered
50 Posts

uggghh......makes you wonder......seems this problem has been around a while and Honda's answer is "if we ignore it it will go away", or like the ostrich, if they stick their collective heads in the sand the predators wont see them....................:eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thehov said:
Sheehy is next door to where I work, they are just all around a horrible dealership in my dealings with them. There parts dept doesnt know shite from shinola, at least the parts people i've spoke with.

Yeah I live right down the street on Lockheed. And I agree that they are idiots. One thing that I forgot to mention was is that they kept saying " that's a manual transmision right." This is an Si and you work at a honda dealership. How the heck wouldnt you know that they only come in manual. Where have they been living under a rock.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
yo perfect clone take your car to ourisman and tell Mike Cohen that Abdel Djellal sent you there hell do it free of charge ;)

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Man i had the same issue with my 2006 Mazda 3, the 3rd gear kept popping out,. Changing your tranny fluid wont do anything for it, it is your synchros, they are worn and need replaced. I can almost guarantee it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts