8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to use a presure washer to wash my car, or is it too hard on the paint? Using just a garden hose right now...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
you should be fine, jsut dont get to close to the car with it thats all. keep some good distant between you and the car.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Honestly, regular washes should not need the pressure washer. Where power washers come in handy are terrible wheels, wheel wells, and sometimes the undercarriage.

But yes, they are safe, just keep a distance and you a fan type nozzle setting.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
What's the maximum PSI and you can get a foam cannon too...

·
Registered
503 Posts
What's the maximum PSI and you can get a foam cannon too...
It desnt really matter about PSI, its mainly about GPM (gallons per minute). A pressure washer can do 2000psi easily, but if its not putting out a lot of fluid, it wont make good use of everything including foam cannons.

As long as the Foam Cannon fits, it should work. Not sure about limits, but I dont think it matters too much.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
I"m talking about PSI for the paint.

If it was 1600 PSI it wouldn't rip the paint off, but if it was 10,000,0000,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,52,565,46+4,4,6 PSI wouldn't it rip the paint right off?

·
Registered
439 Posts
its a combination of GPN and PSI that can make it damaging. they are dependent on each other. pressure washers are usually not adjustable so stay a bit off the paint.

or just use elbow grease and take pride in your work and do it by hand and not let it get so dirty that a pressure washer is needed.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
ummm what type of pressure washer????

i mean if your using some gas powered beast then you may not want to do it...

i have an electric and i use it once a month or so it helps with the love bugs.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
i wash my car myself and take it to a 24 hr self wash and use the pressure hose.
its the best way to get off all the dirt and water spots that have dried up on the paint.

·
Registered
846 Posts
where can i get something with either A.) attach to my regular house to make it have more pressure and/or B.) Something that i can attach to my hose to mix the car wash fluid/water together as it sprays out.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Banned
4,871 Posts
if you use a pressure washer, like ppl said before: use a wide spray pattern nozzle and dont use a commerical grade super powerful washer. Mine is 2100 psi i believe and its OK to use close up on the paint (i sometimes get 5 inches from the paint for stuck on bugs) but if you've got a paint chip or deep scratch, dont get up close because it can peel back the paint. :eek:mg:

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Wow, VERY surprised everyone is OK with this.

While pressure washing *CAN* be OK on the paint, it's REALLY easy to mess up. You DO have to watch the pressure or it will turn a hardly-noticable paint chip into somehting much, much worse. I've literally seen a paint chip on the bumper of a car have water pushed under it and it turned from a chip into a dime-sized spot of missing paint.

Another important thing to think about when using a pressure washer is not just the paint, but other surfaces. You have to think... you're FORCING water into areas that normal rain would not normally force water (unless you're in a hurricane or something). Repeated use will cause water to get trapped where it normally may not ever and can cause corrosion. I saw this on a sunroof once.

The sunroof itself started rusting and bubbling up you could see on the inside. Why? Likely because the owner went through car washes and/or used a pressure washer that forced water inbetween the rubber and car body trapping it and causing premature rust.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ever use a pressure washer. I use the DIY deals at the DIY carwash (Always leaving 12-18 inches between the tip of the gun and my car) but I only use it on the paint surfaces and the wheels. I'm just saying there are other factors to consider when thinking about using a pressure washer. For 95% of all people, a garden hose used regularly will be just as effective.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Yeah, as my first sentance read, it CAN be OK. I suppose the two main points I was trying to make are:

a little common sense goes a long way

and

for anything that a pressure washer can do, there are other methods that do not involve a pressure washer that can achieve the same results (bug removal for example).

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
My old work used a 3200 PSI washer and I could get within 5 inches of the paint to get off bugs and road grime but definitely avoid chips and such cause it will rip paint off quick, and you will have much less soap residue left on the car when done an overall better wash

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Dude... seriously. Don't worry about a thing. People on this site are way too anal. Use the pressure washer at any carwash. I'm not going to give my car a handwash when it's 35 degrees outside and my black car is WHITE from salt. I usually spray about 10" off of the paint. Sometimes even closer. I've never had anything bad happen to any of my cars because of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts