8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which of the 4 would you recommend for the rear speakers. Looking to improve SQ and add some deeper bass if possible with these w/o adding aftermarket amp. The sensitivity are all over 90db so should be decent with the factory premium sound.

Infinity Reference 5012i 91db 2-45wRMS
Polk Audio db 525 93db 4-45wRMS
Alpine SPS-13C2 92db 2-35wRMS
Boston Acoustics S55 92db 2-35wRMS

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know what speaker I would pick but you might not like them. The best think to do is to listen to the speakers and pick the ones that sound the best to you. When comparing, be very careful to listen to each speaker at the same volume level (not the setting on the deck but the actual loudness to you ears). The second thing is don’t shop just for SPL, first because it would be hard to discern and overall loudness increase between a 90 and 92 db speaker and second because some speakers are rated at 2 watts/m not 1 watt/m.

We have had this discussion more times then I can remember over on the TSX board (the Civic premium uses the same type external amp as the TSX) and to get an SPL increase you need to replace the factory amp. I can guide you thought the process if you want to go that route and you won’t have to cut or splice into the factory wiring.

I have measured the output power of the factory amp on my bench and it is 12 watts/ch in the event you were wondering. I replace it with a JL 300/4 and my system sounds fantastic with the factory HU and good speakers (one of the brands you listed)

jeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rear speakers are the wrong place to start to improve SQ or bass response in your SI. For SQ, invest in a component set for the front. You will need to add an amp or powered sub to improve bass output.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would do the Infinity Kappa 62.7I or 63.7I the reason for this is off a radio they play at 4ohm and give a good sound for the price and if you ever change your mind and add an amp they will play at 2ohm increasing the power on your amp. They also come with there own cross over seperating the mid and tweet to give you a better sound. I would not go with the Infinity reference because I've had to many of the ones I've used come back blown.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Merc and Bob are both correct in their own respects.

Seems to me like you're trying to get midbass into your setup by adding rear speakers. Though, this sounds like a good idea (haha, nice Pun), it's not really the best. When you do this you're just pulling the bass further towards the back, and when you talk SQ, the focus is to get the majority of the "stage" in front of you. Regardless of a "rear fill vs. no rear fill" argument (not going there), from personal experience I can tell you that you'll be better served taking your $ and putting it into a nice front stage. This includes deadening the doors, and making sure the install is good.

Otherwise, you'll drop your money on a set of coax's that aren't really made to be played free-air, nor provide the kind of depth you want from a solid midbass/midrange driver. In addition, even if you put those speakers in the rear deck you're still going to have to add some deadening to tame resonance and flex. Otherwise you've basically sat $100 on top of your rear deck and called it a day.

This is all just my opinion...do as you like, really. I'm just speaking on personal experience and going by what I like in music. I'm just thinking that your rears aren't what you're really wanting here.

·
Registered
170 Posts
mercman said:
The second thing is don’t shop just for SPL, first because it would be hard to discern and overall loudness increase between a 90 and 92 db speaker and second because some speakers are rated at 2 watts/m not 1 watt/m.

Wrong. Decibels are a logarithmic scale.

·
Registered
158 Posts
adk said:
Wrong. Decibels are a logarithmic scale.

What are you saying is wrong; that it would be hard to discern a 2dB SPL change or that some manufactures rate their speakers at 2-watts/meter spl? The general rule is that it takes about a 3db increase power (doubling) into a driver to produce a change in level that is clear and discernable to the human ear. The human ear is not linear nor is a driver so it is not hard science just a rule of thumb kind of thing. Some people might be able to detect a 2db increase in sound pressure level at a given level but in my experience it takes a little more then that especially in a car environment. Perhaps I should have used “not a dramatic increase” instead of “hard to discern”.

jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts