1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
dont waste your money just do a real retro

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
those actually look pretty damn good and not to ricey like some of the ebay kits. looks like someone needs to bite the bullet and be the guinea pig. and see how they turn out with a PnP HID kit and see the cut off.

for 200 i think someone could take the plunge. you never know.

i don't like the halo **** i wish they could do without that. but the projector and everything looks alright.

i wouldn't do it till i saw cut off pics and if they made it without the halo stuff. or if you could have the option to not power it.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Aftermarket lights have a poor light output and personally, I don't think they look that great. I would either stick with a regular PnP kit or buy a pre-made retrofit using OEM projectors. You can regularly find some that go for $500-$600 on the forums.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Can't you just buy premade projector kits and just swap out OEM pieces? So, can't you just buy those projectors and throw in some TSX projectors and E46 shrouds?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Can't you just buy premade projector kits and just swap out OEM pieces? So, can't you just buy those projectors and throw in some TSX projectors and E46 shrouds?
easier said than done... its usually easier to retro an oem/oem style headlight than a projector headlight... usually there isnt that much room..

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
easier said than done... its usually easier to retro an oem/oem style headlight than a projector headlight... usually there isnt that much room..
I see... I was thinking of just buying 1 headlight and just mess around with it as a project, and if I liked what I did, I'd probably do the other side.

Sorry to thread jack OP xp

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
These aren't exactly new, I've had mine well over a year.

Anyways, I enjoy them, I got them for $160 shipped on eBay but they're the same lights.
They take an H1 bulb because they're halogen projectors, not proper HID units.
If a proper retro is beyond your budget and/or skill level, they're not such a bad choice. Much better than HIDs in stock housings if you ask me.
Buy these, get a 5k HID PnP kit from DDM for $30 and you're all set.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i was going to say iggyhaxor has em f/s 195 shipped...i think they are still f/s too
but these are what im going to get simply because a retro is too much money to spend on just headlights, even though it is totally worth it with the light output, but im sure that the output with these would be better then stock..
as far as the halo's go, i think halo's are rice if they aren't stock, but on retro's they look decent, but if you buy aftermarket's like these you have to wire the halo's yourself, most of the time to the parking lights, so the option to leave them disconnected is possible, but you'll have hanging wires that you'll need to clean up.

at first, i will not hook the halo's up, but eventually ill get around to it.
but if you don't wana spend 600 on a retro, your not the only one, just give these a shot

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Not understanding why people keep say 600+ for retro. Yes, it can goes even higher, but it all depends on what parts you want and who do it. To DIY, it can be just around $250 as long as you are not looking for the best of the best projector, like S2K projectors. Also, with all the PNP projector kits available nowadays, it is no longer require a lot of expertise to assembly a good performing, professional look retrofit by yourself. The high price of retro is mainly because of the labor if you want someone else to do it for you. $250 - $300 seems the going rate for professional retrofitter charging for retrofitting one pair of projectors, but I know some peoples can found people do that at as low as $100, make the whole project below $400, not a lot above the price range you can buy an aftermarket projector headlight plus HID kit.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i say 600+ because
1. i was quoted 745 without the HID kit included
2. i wouldn't take the chance of screwing my headlights, and idk if the OP was up for it either thats why i put that price.
the price of a retro is still a little bit more then what i'd like to pay for headlights
with 500-600 dollars thats a header or even FP.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i say 600+ because
1. i was quoted 745 without the HID kit included
2. i wouldn't take the chance of screwing my headlights, and idk if the OP was up for it either thats why i put that price.
the price of a retro is still a little bit more then what i'd like to pay for headlights
with 500-600 dollars thats a header or even FP.
Yeah, as I said, it can be higher than $600, depends on what parts you want. I think I saw someone saying their retro cost them $1300+. However, I just want people knows that there are options out there to get a good quality retro for around $400 with someone to do it for you, or just around $250 (or even less) if you willing to DIY. Good quality retrofit is not extremely expansive anymore.

Also, look for bargain in forsell section in different forums, and sometimes you will found someone selling their old setup at discount after they upgrade.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with VanSi, I had the same after market projectors with HID Kit. Cutt off was alright, went Retro with TSX. BIG DIFFERENCE =]

·
Registered
982 Posts
maybe if you get these headlights, and then work on your OEM headlights as a project for the retrofit.

im just really scared to DIY with my headlights cuz i know that id be able to screw em up, but i want to because it'd be sick looks wise and to do it myself would be the ****!

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
those output pics are terrible, streaking.... 6 foot wide beam.... ahhhhhhh

$30 pNp kit is better performing than those, as for looks thats a personal preference and to each their own.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i don't think the output is all that bad, i mean for ebay projectors its pretty decent
im probably going to be getting ebay projectors until i can save up for a retro
i just with they didn't have the halo's...if you don't get CCFL
it looks just horrible...cant even see the halo's
but just my .02
go wings :D

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
some of those ebay style headlights have the abilities to sway projectors with little modification. so then youll be a sharper cutoff say if you swapped to a tsx projector for example.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Yes, a few people have swapped in OEM projectors without too much hassle. Easier to mount on these than on the bowled reflector of our stock headlights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts